Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Greetings from NE Ohio!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Hello Wonderful People!

    I am new to the forum but have read through quite a bit! Very helpful, and I'm so glad I found you guys! A little about me: Previous vet tech, I've volunteered at a local wildlife rehab facility and generally have had a love for all animals since I could walk - The black squirrel is actually our city mascot in Kent, OH too!

    A little about my first rehab story...
    I found a pinky female on the sidewalk near my house while I was walking my Chihuahua, and he did not even notice her. I thought she was dead, covered in sand and very still. I touched her and she started moving so I brought her home, warmed her up and ran to the drug store for some dyefree/flavor free pedialyte. I had cared for ~4 week old squirrel someone brought me about 2 years ago, but I took him to a rehabber friend within 24 hours, so I had enough knowledge to get started. This little girl had bruising on her nose and a small amount of blood coming out, she took some pedialyte but I knew her best chance was with someone experienced. I drove her about 30 mins away to a very experienced rehabber and felt relieved. The rehabber let me know she was only about 2 or 3 days old and probably had a broken nasal passage, but i got her there quick and she could be ok.

    But then... I got home and took my dog out again and saw ANOTHER BABY in the grass near the same buckeye tree!! My heart sank. He was smaller in size than his sister but no injuries seen. Once I got him warmed up, he was a squirmy and strong little guy! I decided I would keep him in the house overnight to warm up and hydrate and see if I could find mom in the morning. I gave Momma a few hours by the same tree, but baby was still there. I knew I couldn't leave him much long than 3 hours so I took him back in and decided I would raise and release him. I considered taking him back to the rehabber, but I wanted to try, and felt that I have enough experience to raise a seemly healthy pinky.

    Below is baby Clydell - I believe he is around 11 days old now since his umbilical scab came off yesterday, so I've had him for a week as of today and he is doing great! We have an abundance of black and gray eastern gray squirrels in Kent so I believe he will be one of the 2 colors. He was weighing at 15g consistently but as of last night he was 17g. Currently, I'm doing 0.8cc (was doing 0.5cc) Powdered Esbilac every 2ish hours (1:2), even during the night but every 3 hours to sleep. His stools are finally becoming more formed, like tiny sesame seeds, although they were liquid/mucousy and mustard colored before mostly. Is it normal for him to not defecate after each feeding? He had the loose stool but I feel that it may have taken 24 hours to firm up and that's why he wasn't producing much. What is normal? Also, is there a thread where you guys have photos of your release cages? I know it is awhile away but I like to be prepared!
    Name:  IMG_20190807_211211.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  122.3 KB First day
    Name:  IMG_20190808_181908.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  74.0 KB Don't worry, I got some miracle nips a day later! Name:  IMG_20190813_232243.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  68.3 KB Most recent - starting to get dark fuzz and in a milk coma! Recommendations for dry skin?
    Last edited by Asos; 08-14-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: grammar errors

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,274
    Thanked: 8397

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    to TheSquirrelBoard

    Here is a link to information about baby squirrel care that will help you.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

    I wouldn’t worry if the baby doesn’t poop after every feeding. Just make sure the belly doesn’t get bloated. Bloat is dangerous.

    Usually the dry skin is associated with a cardboard container. Get a plastic bin and it should help.
    You can also put a damp gauze or cloth in a baby food jar in the container. The heating pad and the damp gauze/cloth will raise the humidity in the bin.

  3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

    gunpackingrandma (08-15-2019), stepnstone (08-15-2019)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    He gets a nice plump tummy, but it's never firm. The "milk line" is visible too. Thanks for the link! I've taken a look at it earlier too!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,274
    Thanked: 8397

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    It sounds normal. Be careful to not aspirate the baby. Aspiration of formula and the resulting pneumonia is the largest threat to the survival of pinkies. Go slow and easy. Just as a precaution it would be good to find an antibiotic tablet to have just in case it’s needed. Ciprofloxacin, Augmentin, Septra, Bactrim, SMZ-TMP, doxycycline are a few that would be good. If you could find any of these you would be covered in case of a problem.

    You mentioned release cages in your first post. You are quite a way off from needing that but there is a specific section of this forum that is about cages, etc.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ials-and-ideas

  6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

    gunpackingrandma (08-15-2019), Nancy in New York (09-05-2019), stepnstone (08-15-2019)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    3,991
    Thanked: 3916

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Quote Originally Posted by Asos View Post
    Hello Wonderful People!



    Below is baby Clydell - I believe he is around 11 days old now since his umbilical scab came off yesterday, so I've had him for a week as of today and he is doing great! We have an abundance of black and gray eastern gray squirrels in Kent so I believe he will be one of the 2 colors. He was weighing at 15g consistently but as of last night he was 17g. Currently, I'm doing 0.8cc (was doing 0.5cc) Powdered Esbilac every 2ish hours (1:2), even during the night but every 3 hours to sleep. His stools are finally becoming more formed, like tiny sesame seeds, although they were liquid/mucousy and mustard colored before mostly. Is it normal for him to not defecate after each feeding? He had the loose stool but I feel that it may have taken 24 hours to firm up and that's why he wasn't producing much. What is normal? Also, is there a thread where you guys have photos of your release cages? I know it is awhile away but I like to be prepared!
    Name:  IMG_20190807_211211.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  122.3 KB First day
    Name:  IMG_20190808_181908.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  74.0 KB Don't worry, I got some miracle nips a day later! Name:  IMG_20190813_232243.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  68.3 KB Most recent - starting to get dark fuzz and in a milk coma! Recommendations for dry skin?
    Hi Asos, welcome,

    A four day old pinky is quite something to take on, but it sounds like you are up to the task and have a good background for it.

    I do have a bit of a concern for your little man. He should be gaining more weight for the amount of times you are feeding. The amount at each feedings sounds spot-on. If you are feeding him every 2-3 hours you must be feeding 7-8 times a day? Does he eat eagerly? He has only gained 2-3 g in 8 days and he is losing wt on his limbs.

    It looks like the food you are feeding him is not nourishing him. I think you are using the correct Esbilac formula but for some reason it does not work for all babies. If he does not gain any better in the next few days, I would consider putting him on the goats milk formula. That is 3 parts goats milk 1 part heavy whipping creme 1 part full fat yogurt
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    15,834
    Thanked: 4095

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    By the way, he will be gray. Even just at birth, the black squirrel babies are a more dusky color than they grays. We call them "blinkies"

  9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

    Asos (08-16-2019), gunpackingrandma (08-18-2019)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It sounds normal. Be careful to not aspirate the baby. Aspiration of formula and the resulting pneumonia is the largest threat to the survival of pinkies. Go slow and easy. Just as a precaution it would be good to find an antibiotic tablet to have just in case it’s needed. Ciprofloxacin, Augmentin, Septra, Bactrim, SMZ-TMP, doxycycline are a few that would be good. If you could find any of these you would be covered in case of a problem.

    You mentioned release cages in your first post. You are quite a way off from needing that but there is a specific section of this forum that is about cages, etc.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ials-and-ideas
    I have a stash of medications from working at the vet clinic / having other pets and illnesses. Meds wouldn't be an issue, and hopefully not needed! I know I am a ways away, but I have plenty of time to keep an eye out now too! Thanks for the link!

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi Asos, welcome,

    A four day old pinky is quite something to take on, but it sounds like you are up to the task and have a good background for it.

    I do have a bit of a concern for your little man. He should be gaining more weight for the amount of times you are feeding. The amount at each feedings sounds spot-on. If you are feeding him every 2-3 hours you must be feeding 7-8 times a day? Does he eat eagerly? He has only gained 2-3 g in 8 days and he is losing wt on his limbs.

    It looks like the food you are feeding him is not nourishing him. I think you are using the correct Esbilac formula but for some reason it does not work for all babies. If he does not gain any better in the next few days, I would consider putting him on the goats milk formula. That is 3 parts goats milk 1 part heavy whipping creme 1 part full fat yogurt
    He finally started gaining - I was concerned too! He always is eager to eat thankfully, especially after the miracle nips came in the mail. I make sure to feed him on his belly or sitting up in my hand and slowly, I've never seen any nose bubbles. He is 22g as of this morning and his eye slits are getting more defined along with more fuzz -- I work in a quiet office and he stays with me all day with his heating pad and box, feeding around every 2 hours. I try to feed him at midnight, 3am and then around 6am during the night.

    Do you think he is still not absorbing properly? His stools have been formed now and he always pees at feeding time. I saw some skin conditions that babies had with the milk intolerance but his skin is healthy looking. I put the damp paper towel in with him for moisture and his dryness got better quickly. I estimated his birthday is 8/2 -- Is 22g acceptable for his age? I dont have my log with me at work, but he seems to be gaining about 1 gram every 1-2 days now.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi Asos, welcome,

    A four day old pinky is quite something to take on, but it sounds like you are up to the task and have a good background for it.

    I do have a bit of a concern for your little man. He should be gaining more weight for the amount of times you are feeding. The amount at each feedings sounds spot-on. If you are feeding him every 2-3 hours you must be feeding 7-8 times a day? Does he eat eagerly? He has only gained 2-3 g in 8 days and he is losing wt on his limbs.

    It looks like the food you are feeding him is not nourishing him. I think you are using the correct Esbilac formula but for some reason it does not work for all babies. If he does not gain any better in the next few days, I would consider putting him on the goats milk formula. That is 3 parts goats milk 1 part heavy whipping creme 1 part full fat yogurt
    Ok now I'm concerned after looking at his limbs. Do i need to transition to the goat milk recipe?

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    3,991
    Thanked: 3916

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Quote Originally Posted by Asos View Post
    Ok now I'm concerned after looking at his limbs. Do i need to transition to the goat milk recipe?
    What is his weight today?

    Sorry I see you already answered that. How long have you had him? How many times a day do you feed?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    What is his weight today?

    Sorry I see you already answered that. How long have you had him? How many times a day do you feed?
    He is 22g as of this morning and feeding around every 2 hours. I try to feed him at midnight, 3am and then around 6am during the night. I've had him 8 days but the first few days he was getting the premixed formula before the esbilac powder

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Is goatmilk recipe only temporary? Can someone tell me if and how to transition?

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    3,991
    Thanked: 3916

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Hi ASOS,

    I feed my pinkies GMF up until 4 weeks when I start slowly transitioning to fox valley 20/50. By the time the babies are eyes open, they are fully on FV 20/50.

    How I would transition Clydell is take him off Esbilac and and start GMF at 50% water 50% GMF. Feed that for two feedings, then feed 75%GNF 25% water. Feed that two times. Then feed 100% GMF. The GMF again is 3 parts goat milk, 1 part heavy whipping creme, 1 part full fat yogurt. I like using pasteurized full fat goats milk.

    Yourbaby came in on the 7th of August as a fat five day old pinkie that looked to be 16-17 grams. I don’t know when you got a weight of 15 g but in 2 weeks he has gained 7 g especially when it sounds like you are feeding 8-9 times a day.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    3,991
    Thanked: 3916

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Here is a thread about a baby that did not thrive from feeding Esbilac. He was in a lot worse shape than your baby, but it is a great story. The thread is “Rocky is bloated”. Start on page 5.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    3,991
    Thanked: 3916

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    How is your little bub doing? Hope all is well with his diet.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    How is your little bub doing? Hope all is well with his diet.
    Hi! Yes!! Clydell is doing so much better thanks to the goat milk! I waited a few feedings to add the whipping cream, and still have ~25% Esbilac in there too for the other vitamins and such. His limbs are looking more filled in and I feel like he's growing every feeding, getting more fuzz and his poops have been formed and consistent. The night before I switched to the GMF I had to run out and get him the baby gasx drops and give water because his tummy wasn't emptying. It did the trick and his tummy seems much happier. I'll post a photo soon for proof 😉. He was 30g this morning. You guys are the very best!

  20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Asos from:

    redwuff (08-21-2019)

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    A few photos as promised! He was 31g this morning Getting little eyelid fuzz and darker peach fuzz along his back. You may notice one of his front nails fell off, but his little hand was red when I found him and his one nail fell off later on. It's never seemed to bother him and a new little speck is growing back.

    Name:  IMG_20190820_185038.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  82.8 KBName:  00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190820185318638_COVER.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  81.6 KB

  22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Asos from:

    Nancy in New York (08-21-2019)

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    3,991
    Thanked: 3916

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Great job! He looks good. Much more better. Thank you for the pictures
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

    Asos (08-22-2019)

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Hello! Just an update on baby Clydell - He's getting so big!! I also have a question.. his 2 front toe nails that fell off.. They actually do not seem to be growing back as I thought. Any thoughts to if they will grow back eventually? His other ones are all growing normal and he is becoming a little velcro climber Thanks! The first photo was his hand when I first found him, second photo were his nails this morning.. the rest are just cute progress
    Name:  1196429494.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  421.3 KBName:  IMG_20190903_083405.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  67.3 KBName:  IMG_20190831_152544.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  85.3 KBName:  IMG_20190831_153729_105.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  94.2 KBName:  IMG_20190903_083116.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  110.3 KB

  26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Asos:

    gunpackingrandma (09-05-2019), Nancy in New York (09-05-2019), redwuff (09-03-2019)

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    3,991
    Thanked: 3916

    Default Re: Greetings from NE Ohio!

    Hi ASOS,

    Clydell looks great! He is beautiful. Good job, Momma! Your photos are the bomb!

    He is on GMF now. He is now old enough to be switched to FV 20/50. Make sure he is properly transitioned. What is his weight now? How much and how often are you feeding him? You mentioned that he tends to be a bit constipated. Can you explain what you are seeing. Have you checked his bedding for poop. Is he staying hydrated enough?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •