Thread: How old is my baby?and does he seem to be in ok shape by looking at him

Question How old is my baby?and does he seem to be in ok shape by looking at him

My declawed cat showed me this little strange thing she found three days ago I tried warming him up and trying to get his momma to come after hours of that night time came along and I took him inside and named him Albert I reduce animals alot ppl bring them to me but this is my first squirrel and I have no idea what I'm doing I have him on Pedialyte advance care plus epilac goat's milk formula been feeding about every 3 n half 4 hours started having diarrhea after a few good ones I'm starting to get worried so I found this place I was hesitant at first I don't even use Facebook plz help me e along one more thing I ordered him a nipple n bought a new 1 ml syringe I can take more pics just let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Default Re: How old is my baby?and does he seem to be in ok shape by looking at him

Hi, thanks for helping this little baby.
    Please go to Henry'sHealthPets.com there you will find a link for caring for baby squirrels.
    It is very straight forward and provides very helpful information. Follow it exactly and you have the tools you need to successfully raise your little guy.
    This baby looks about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks old.
    The correct formula is Puppy esbilac, powder, blue label saying " pre and probiotic. Don't feed the liquid esbilac in the can, squirrels do not do well on it as it lacks the correct nutritional value.
    You will need to buy a kitchen scale that weighs in grams so you can weigh your little guy and feed the correct amount of formula, 5 - 7% of their body weight. Very important to not over feed- Baby can get bloat.
    You will need 1 ml and 3 ml syringes and miracle nipples, all can be found on Henry's healthy pet website.
    If need be , I hydrate with the homemade hydrating solution an hr before a feeding. I check by doing the skin pull test at the shoulder. If you gently pull the skin up and it retracts in 1- 2 sec ....no hydrating. But if it takes longer - hydrate.
    Hopefully this can get you started .

Default Re: How old is my baby?and does he seem to be in ok shape by looking at him

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    If you have seen this it will help you a lot. The next page is in the upper right.

Also I believe that pedia light should only be fed for 48 hours and then you should switch to the homemade hydrating formula.

Actually I would not trust to give Pedia or hydrating home made for 48 hrs. I would not use for more than 24 hrs since both are in fact the same.

At that point you can offer instead some diluted formula i.e. 50% reconstituted formula + 50% water.

E.g. (1 Tbs powder + 2Tbs water) represents the 50% reconstituted formula part + 2 Tbs of water (since you have 2 Tbs of reconstituted formula) represents the 50% water. And offer plain water some 30 minutes after the formula to keep going with the rehydrating. In other words, for every spoon of powder you add 4 spoons of water.

When the baby is well hydrated you can increase the ratio of formula.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Mommyb (08-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Actually I would not trust to give Pedia or hydrating home made for 48 hrs.
    I would not use for more than 24 hrs since both are in fact the same.

Homemade hydration fluid:
    Salt- Sugar- water
    Pedilyte
    Name:  WHITE - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  25.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

gunpackingrandma (08-15-2019), redwuff (08-15-2019), Scooterzmom (08-18-2019)

What an adorable baby! Love them foxers....

You mentioned that your cat brought him in. Even if there are no bites or scratches, this little bub should be given an antibiotic. Clavamox or augmentin is best. Cat saliva has a deadly bacteria in it, pasturella and utmost precautions need to be taken for cat caught babies. If the kitty did not touch the baby, then you are fine.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    What an adorable baby! Love them foxers....

You mentioned that your cat brought him in. Even if there are no bites or scratches, this little bub should be given an antibiotic. Clavamox or augmentin is best. Cat saliva has a deadly bacteria in it, pasturella and utmost precautions need to be taken for cat caught babies. If the kitty did not touch the baby, then you are fine.
    Looks like a gray to me.

Red face Re: How old is my baby?and does he seem to be in ok shape by looking at him

I stopped Pedialyte and he's on formula and some antibiotics every 3 to 4 hours he eats about 3 ml so weighed him yesterday night before bed and he was 61 grams I weighed him tonight about 45 mins ago he is 63 grams I'm slowly but surely figure it out thanks for all the help guys I hope he's gonna make it his scratches are all healed up so prayers for Albert if u pray good vibes if u don't 💜❤️ I'll share another photo I didn't take any today but I will tomorrow the kids say it looks like he has more hair I see him like constantly so maybe there right lol

Exclamation Re: How old is my baby?and does he seem to be in ok shape by looking at him

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Actually I would not trust to give Pedia or hydrating home made for 48 hrs. I would not use for more than 24 hrs since both are in fact the same.

At that point you can offer instead some diluted formula i.e. 50% reconstituted formula + 50% water.

E.g. (1 Tbs powder + 2Tbs water) represents the 50% reconstituted formula part + 2 Tbs of water (since you have 2 Tbs of reconstituted formula) represents the 50% water. And offer plain water some 30 minutes after the formula to keep going with the rehydrating. In other words, for every spoon of powder you add 4 spoons of water.

When the baby is well hydrated you can increase the ratio of formula.
    One question so I have my incubator tub thing lined with a towel and a fleece blanket then under the tub is a towel with a heating pad under it pretty much my point is the heating pad is underneath the tub but I have a thermometer in there it tells me in between the towel on the inside and his fleece it reads 99 I keep taking him off of it and he keep digging thru there and have his body on the fleece and his head on the towel is that to hit? It stays a little chilly inside my house and because of the holes in his tub I keep the setting at 99 is that to hit?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyb View Post
    One question so I have my incubator tub thing lined with a towel and a fleece blanket then under the tub is a towel with a heating pad under it pretty much my point is the heating pad is underneath the tub but I have a thermometer in there it tells me in between the towel on the inside and his fleece it reads 99 I keep taking him off of it and he keep digging thru there and have his body on the fleece and his head on the towel is that to hit? It stays a little chilly inside my house and because of the holes in his tub I keep the setting at 99 is that to hit?!?!
    Seet the heating pad under half of the container( or do you have a real incubator???), and give him a couple of fleece blankies (we don't recommend towels cuz the threads can be pulled and tie around a little toe or paw and cause injuries). An old sweatshirt, or fleece is best. Their body temp is around 100-101F so that can help guide you. What you want is for him to have a chance to go lay down where he finds it most comfy. If you offer blanks he'll settle things around to his preference.

P.S.: Thank you stepnstone for the correction. Making a note of this
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Lightbulb Re: How old is my baby?and does he seem to be in ok shape by looking at him

I made him a tub I ordered him the proper sryinges and mirical nipple fox valley formula has made an amazing difference in his tummy he's gaining weight pretty good he weighs about 76 grams my only concern at this point I'd he seems to only want about 3 CC's sometimes only 2.5 is that normal?!? About 6/7times a day for the past 3 days now his eyes still aren't open I'll send u a Monday pic