Thread: Baby poop is yellow and watery is my baby healthy

Exclamation Baby poop is yellow and watery is my baby healthy

So three days ago my cat found a baby squirrel and he wasn't really moving until I picked him up he had a small scratch on his leg I cleaned up and put antibiotic cream on it healed up already I tried for hours to get momma to come for it he started moving alot alot once I got him on a heating pad and all that I bought epilac formula goat's milk and advance care plus Pedialyte he didn't seem to have interest in eating until about 5 am the first morning I have him a little Pedialyte in a big srying I just ordered him nipples should be here tomorrow anyway after feeding I made him use the bathroom seemed normal poop and pee again with the next feeding 3 hours later this time again with Pedialyte pooped fine I switched his next feeding to epilac and his poops are now and have been yellow and watery it seems to be getting thicker it's 245 am the third day I fed him about 1145 pm and about to do another feeding everything seems normal to me except his poop I'll post a pic someone please tell me if he looks healthy and maybe age his eyes are not open .... One last thing once warmed up and moving around the first few hours in my room he screamed a loud scream a few times and then I fed him that was the first morning anyway since then he only whimper when I wake him feeding and potty and loves he makes light sounds I have a stethoscope so I don't hear any lung problems or signs of sickness he twitches sometimes until he finds a nice warm snuggle spot I cover him n he has a little snuggle bear in his little incubator with him I'm new to this and falling in love so plz someone help me fix this baby and tell me what I'm doing wrong well it won't let me post a pic yet but I can email someone one

Default Re: Baby poop is yellow and watery is my baby healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyb View Post
    So three days ago my cat found a baby squirrel and he wasn't really moving until I picked him up he had a small scratch on his leg I cleaned up and put antibiotic cream on it healed up already I tried for hours to get momma to come for it he started moving alot alot once I got him on a heating pad and all that I bought epilac formula goat's milk and advance care plus Pedialyte he didn't seem to have interest in eating until about 5 am the first morning I have him a little Pedialyte in a big srying I just ordered him nipples should be here tomorrow anyway after feeding I made him use the bathroom seemed normal poop and pee again with the next feeding 3 hours later this time again with Pedialyte pooped fine I switched his next feeding to epilac and his poops are now and have been yellow and watery it seems to be getting thicker it's 245 am the third day I fed him about 1145 pm and about to do another feeding everything seems normal to me except his poop I'll post a pic someone please tell me if he looks healthy and maybe age his eyes are not open .... One last thing once warmed up and moving around the first few hours in my room he screamed a loud scream a few times and then I fed him that was the first morning anyway since then he only whimper when I wake him feeding and potty and loves he makes light sounds I have a stethoscope so I don't hear any lung problems or signs of sickness he twitches sometimes until he finds a nice warm snuggle spot I cover him n he has a little snuggle bear in his little incubator with him I'm new to this and falling in love so plz someone help me fix this baby and tell me what I'm doing wrong well it won't let me post a pic yet but I can email someone one
    You are fully registered now and should be able to post pictures.
    Cat caught needs to be on antibiotics, cats have a bacteria in their slava that can be deadly to squirrels.
    The diarrhea may be due to that or possibly from under hydration, over feeding or improper formula.
    Your mention of "big syringe" is scary and a recipe for Aspiration Pneumonia.
    Is the formula powered or liquid?
    Do you have a weight on baby to know how much to feed? They need to be fed between 5-7% of their body weight
    which is the capacity of their stomach.

I'm attaching a link that can be a huge help on baby squirrel care, It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Please do post a picture so we may access age and condition.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyb View Post
    Okay so I have him on some antibiotics I forgot when I posted this that I actually bought a small syringe 1 ml and my nipples and stuff i ordered came from the site u sent me a link too it should take 1 to 2 days this feeding he ate we gave lovey's and used the bathroom this time it was still runny kinda but more like seedy I tried for a while and got alot of pee that's clear btw and yellow tiny specks with still watery kinda seemed like it looked better coming out not like a little bubble I can order whatever it is I might need I opened his mouth I see two front tiny teeth on the bottom I pinched his skin it don't stay up bouncing back fast I just need to know how far apart to feed I gave him two 1.0 ml syringe I bought him today that I forgot 1 part epilac goat's milk and three parts water with some antibiotics i seen him what I thought looked like a yawn after I fed and was kinda cleaning him up and using the bathroom the yawn was about 10 mins after he was finished feeding I can here him whimper and make sounds he moves around really well and the cat that got him was my cat as far as I know she didn't bite him and she's de clawed still he had scratches that had dried blood so idk if it was her or not could have been the fall lmk if I'm posting pics right I'll send more
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Also I haven't weighed him I'll try that next also it's powder form those pics were yesterday

Any advice would be greatly appreciated im still learning and I'm enjoying this new baby I just want him to be ok and do him right I'll take a right now photo if u want he is more pink then in the phone photo I turned on flash in those pics I think I have one pic where u can see no flash

Your baby is between 2-3 weeks old. I know that some have used the Goat Milk Esbilac but the powdered puppy Esbilac is much better. Because the baby has diarrhea I would definitely buy the other formula. If you have Amazon Prime you could get the proper formula in 2 days.
    https://www.amazon.com/Esbilac®-Powd.../dp/B0002ASRZ8

I don’t have Prime so I order 3 cans to get free shipping. Esbilac is very expensive at pet retailers. ($20-$30)

You should discontinue the Pedialyte. If the diarrhea persists you can give it a couple times a day to replenish electrolytes.
    We need to dose the antibiotic for you. That might be the cause of the diarrhea.

The scream you mentioned is a normal response for babies that have lost their mom. We call it the mama cry. They screech out calling mom. It is a very loud sound for such a tiny thing. They usually don’t do it after the first day. After that they are very quiet. Some will actually purr.

By the way, read the label on the GM Esbilac. I don’t use the GME but I think the dilution is probably 2 water to 1 powder. Check on the label. We do often start with dilute formula but by now you should be at full strength.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (08-14-2019)

Thumbs up Re: Baby poop is yellow and watery is my baby healthy

Omg thanks so much for the response I'm trying to figure out how often and how much I should feed him I was waiting to long yesterday I think about every four hours and Pedialyte in between i have amoxicillin I have liquid and pills I have human and dog I just ordered his nipple I hope to have it by tomorrow I will def get him some new formula asap seems to me like his poop is getting thicker since about 4 am it's still not hard but it's not just watery.. I thought I heard him purring in my ear he's very funny and has a loving personality it seems he loves being in a ball on my chest with my hand over him if I rub certain parts of his neck n head he wiggles his foot like a dog he's seeming to be willing to take the food and it's like he knows our routine already when it goes down idk if that's possible but he places himself a certain way in my hand when he feeds and the same thing when he's using the potty he sits the same way every time and I feel like he knows after it's all done we do snuggles I might just be crazy but whatever lol I just want him to be ok... Here's some pics from just a little bit ago

I see a lot more fur on those pics so the age is more like 3 weeks. I will guess at the weight for dosing. I would say about 50g. What is the concentration of the Amoxicillin? Is the liquid expired? It doesn’t matter for the pill. I need the mg of the tablet and the mg/ml of the liquid if it’s in date.

He is cute as a bug.

At that age the feedings should be every 3-4 hrs. You need to buy a small kitchen scale that weighs in grams. Digital is best. They are pretty cheap online. The amount we feed is based on the weight. We feed 5-7% of the weight per feeding. Example.. if the baby weighs 100g the amount would be between 5-7 ml per feeding.

I wouldn’t use Pedialyte between every feeding. The baby looks hydrated so I would discontinue it’s routine use. You can give a little as long as the poop is loose. Using Pedialyte too long is harmful due to the salt. If you think he needs more hydration you can give water with a touch of sugar to make it palatable between feedings.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (08-14-2019)

Talking Re: Baby poop is yellow and watery is my baby healthy

Okay I love you right now this is amazing getting guided thru so I will check the meds in a sec I wanted to tell u this last poop was like a yellow still not solid but not bubbly seemed kinda like little seeds in it like formula fed human babies is that normal? It's not pouring out like water at this point but not like that first good healthy poop not even close how long should I keep stimulating when potty time I have been just doing it until he's finished or after a while also he does have two small bottom teeth

Smile Re: Baby poop is yellow and watery is my baby healthy

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I see a lot more fur on those pics so the age is more like 3 weeks. I will guess at the weight for dosing. I would say about 50g. What is the concentration of the Amoxicillin? Is the liquid expired? It doesn’t matter for the pill. I need the mg of the tablet and the mg/ml of the liquid if it’s in date.

He is cute as a bug.

At that age the feedings should be every 3-4 hrs. You need to buy a small kitchen scale that weighs in grams. Digital is best. They are pretty cheap online. The amount we feed is based on the weight. We feed 5-7% of the weight per feeding. Example.. if the baby weighs 100g the amount would be between 5-7 ml per feeding.

I wouldn’t use Pedialyte between every feeding. The baby looks hydrated so I would discontinue it’s routine use. You can give a little as long as the poop is loose. Using Pedialyte too long is harmful due to the salt. If you think he needs more hydration you can give water with a touch of sugar to make it palatable between feedings.

K liquid amoxicillin expires 7/10/2020 250 mg I am running to the store in about a hour I'm gonna grab a scale and I'll let u Kno how much he weighs..

May I make a suggestion regarding the loose poops?

Diarrhea can start for any number of reasons, but a lot of times, it continues on and on because the diarrhea has inflamed their bowels so much. So basically, you then have a situation where the continued diarrhea is causing diarrhea. The very best way I have found to stop this is with, believe it or not, Pepto Bismol - the pink stuff.

I would give this little one one drop (0.5ml) of Pepto, and then start watching the poops. The bismuth in the Pepto will turn the poop black - and I mean black (don't faint). When you begin to see the black poops, you will know that the pepto has gone all the way through the system. If the poops are still soft and runny, give one more drop. If they are stiffening up and starting to form, hold on and see if they continue to improve.

This won't fix a physiological reason like parasites or illness if that is causing the diarrhea, but if this baby is just on that inflamed diarrhea roller coaster, it will. It has helped darned near every person I have suggested it to.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (08-14-2019)

Red face Re: Baby poop is yellow and watery is my baby healthy

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    May I make a suggestion regarding the loose poops?

Diarrhea can start for any number of reasons, but a lot of times, it continues on and on because the diarrhea has inflamed their bowels so much. So basically, you then have a situation where the continued diarrhea is causing diarrhea. The very best way I have found to stop this is with, believe it or not, Pepto Bismol - the pink stuff.

I would give this little one one drop (0.5ml) of Pepto, and then start watching the poops. The bismuth in the Pepto will turn the poop black - and I mean black (don't faint). When you begin to see the black poops, you will know that the pepto has gone all the way through the system. If the poops are still soft and runny, give one more drop. If they are stiffening up and starting to form, hold on and see if they continue to improve.

This won't fix a physiological reason like parasites or illness if that is causing the diarrhea, but if this baby is just on that inflamed diarrhea roller coaster, it will. It has helped darned near every person I have suggested it to.

Thanks so much.. I have been adding more to my list each time I log in.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mommyb from:

redwuff (08-15-2019)