Thread: Bad Head Injury?

Sitori Guest

Default Bad Head Injury?

Hello! I have a squirrel coming to my bird feeder that has a bad injury to the side of his head. It may be an infection - I don't know. Please see pictures below. He has some grass or debris stuck in it. In some pics it looks like his left eye is visible but from what I can see in person the injury / swelling covers his entire left eye. He acts normal and I've been feeding him walnuts to help him get enough food. I first saw him about 3-4 days ago.

I would appreciate any advice as to how I can help him more, or if I should just let nature take it's course. I will try calling local animal rehabbers but I've been a bit disappointed with the ones in my area in the past when contacting them about injured birds I found. They either didn't call back or one (a vet) I'm pretty certain just euthanized the bird. She refused to give me any updates on the bird. It was or a pigeon w/a broken leg (or) maybe just gave birth and had calcium issue (I read this can happen.) Would have been nice to know how it turned out. Anyway! Thank you for any advice anyone can provide!

~Rita

Name:  Squirrel.Injured.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  113.0 KB

Name:  Injured.Squirrel.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  149.6 KB

Name:  Blurry.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  Full.Face.jpg
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  Another.Angle.jpg
Size:  114.2 KB
    Last edited by Sitori; 08-13-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Add more pics & info.

Default Re: Bad Head Injury?

Hi Rita, that does look like a horrible infection. If you happen to have any left over antibiotics I can dose it for you. Look in the medicine chest and see if you have anything. The antibiotic dose can be put on a nut (preferably the ridges of a pecan) and you can feed it to him daily. Squirrels have an amazing ability to heal. With antibiotics it might make the difference. Let us know.

Sitori Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Hi Rita, that does look like a horrible infection. If you happen to have any left over antibiotics I can dose it for you. Look in the medicine chest and see if you have anything. The antibiotic dose can be put on a nut (preferably the ridges of a pecan) and you can feed it to him daily. Squirrels have an amazing ability to heal. With antibiotics it might make the difference. Let us know.
    Does the type of antibiotic matter? I read elsewhere that squirrels should be given Baytril or another antibiotic - I forget the name. I could ask my vet if he would give me an Rx. I have Prednisolone 5mg - for cat that was sick. I have Spironolactone 25mg. Can't find any antibiotics. I can show my vet the pics of squirrel and ask for Rx. Please let me know. This squirrel comes to my window so I can put Rx in a nut ball. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitori View Post
    Does the type of antibiotic matter? I read elsewhere that squirrels should be given Baytril or another antibiotic - I forget the name. I could ask my vet if he would give me an Rx. I have Prednisolone 5mg - for cat that was sick. I have Spironolactone 25mg. Can't find any antibiotics. I can show my vet the pics of squirrel and ask for Rx. Please let me know. This squirrel comes to my window so I can put Rx in a nut ball. Thanks!
    Actually for a wound like that, Clavamox, Clindamycin or Trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole (TMP SMZ) would be best. I really doubt your vet will give you a script unless you know the vet well. Sometimes they will help you based on a relationship with the vet but most vets won’t help wildlife.

Sitori Guest

Actually for a wound like that, Clavamox, Clindamycin or Trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole (TMP SMZ) would be best. I really doubt your vet will give you a script unless you know the vet well. Sometimes they will help you based on a relationship with the vet but most vets won’t help wildlife.

What dose if I can get it?

What dose if I can get it?
    It varies depending on the antibiotic. If you can get an antibiotic pill/tablet we can dose it for you. It doesn’t matter what the mg are as we calculate it based on what is available. A single tablet of a human antibiotic is sufficient. If it’s a veterinary antibiotic a couple would be better because they are usually lower milligram tablets. We compound the tablet into a liquid suspension. We make the suspension concentrated so that the volume (dose) is low.

Sitori Guest

It varies depending on the antibiotic. If you can get an antibiotic pill/tablet we can dose it for you. It doesn’t matter what the mg are as we calculate it based on what is available. A single tablet of a human antibiotic is sufficient. If it’s a veterinary antibiotic a couple would be better because they are usually lower milligram tablets. We compound the tablet into a liquid suspension. We make the suspension concentrated so that the volume (dose) is low.
    Hi - my vet was closed so I did some research online & learned I could buy amoxicillin for fish. I read it's the only form of amoxicillin you can buy OTC, BTW. The guy at the fish store said hardly anyone buying it from him buys it for fish - he said some people buy it for people!

The capsules I bought are 500 mg's - I can open capsule and pour out. Nothing else in them.

Q: how much do I dose? Squirrel comes by 1x per day in morning.

Q: Should I dissolve then put in nut ball? I was planning to make a ball out of raw, unsalted almond butter and put it in there.

Thanks!

I’m going to send dosing in a Private Message but for future reference and others that might read this thread in the future, Amoxicillin isn’t a good antibiotic for treating wounds. When it’s all we have, we use it but it’s not optimal. Clavamox is Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid. The Clavulanic acid portion is an inhibitor that blocks a resistance mechanism. That added component makes it a much better antibiotic.

Sending a PM.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (08-13-2019)

Sitori Guest

I’m going to send dosing in a Private Message but for future reference and others that might read this thread in the future, Amoxicillin isn’t a good antibiotic for treating wounds. When it’s all we have, we use it but it’s not optimal. Clavamox is Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid. The Clavulanic acid portion is an inhibitor that blocks a resistance mechanism. That added component makes it a much better antibiotic.

Sending a PM.
    I will go to my vet's office tomorrow and ask him for the proper antibiotics you listed. If he won't give it to me I will call local rehabbers. At least this amoxicillin is better than nothing, I hope.

I will go to my vet's office tomorrow and ask him for the proper antibiotics you listed. If he won't give it to me I will call local rehabbers. At least this amoxicillin is better than nothing, I hope.

You might be surprised calling around to family/friends that might have a pill or two left over from an antibiotic.
    Augmentin is one I see a lot of, it's Generic for Clavamox (Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid)
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.