Thread: How to Soft-Release Wild Squirrels

Treecat Guest

Lightbulb How to Soft-Release Wild Squirrels

We have 3 wild squirrels (siblings) in a soft release pen at the new site since Tuesday the 6th. We have no wild squirrel population for them, and they came back to see our rescue squirrels.
    I have had different suggestions on how long they should be kept in the release pen before release.

According to the Canadian Squirrel Relocation study the wild squirrels traveled the farthest on the 6th day and the 13th day after their hard release - up to approx. 3 miles in one day according to the study - almost twice as far as the resident squirrels.

The little wild girl (Estimate 7 months old) paces back and forth in her pen every day. The boys just hang out.
    It was suggested that I keep them for only 3 days in the pre-release pen since they are wild, but because of the Canadian study, I thought it'd be better to keep them in the pre-release pen for at least 1 week, to get them past the 6th day, which was the 1st day the squirrels in the study travelled the farthest.
    Does anyone on TSB know what's the best way to handle this situation?
    Thanks for your input.
    Treecat

Default Re: How to Soft-Release Wild Squirrels

Treecat, other than the question "which is the best formula to use for baby squirrels?" , you have hit upon the Most Controversial Question on TSB .

We've got quite a range if you ask the members here how long they keep squirrels in release cages. WARS have broken out which I won't go into because it's water under the bridge . Maybe those of us who read this should just put down what WE do, and leave it at that.

island rehabber -- 14 yrs rehabbing in NYC -- 5-7 days in release pen. Never longer than 10 days.

Let's go, folks!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Treecat Guest

Muchos Thank yous!
    I can see longer time for hand raised babies, but these are wild, and although I understand getting them acclimated to their new environment, seeing what predators theyll have to avoid, and meet the resident squirrels without getting torn to shreds, but at some point it begins to seem cruel.
    On the otherhand, we have a hand raised year old Male, who gets along with everyone and after over a month in with wilds he still seems trusting of everything and is just hanging out having a good time and ready to play.
    I dont know if it's ever going to be long enough with him.

I did not know there was a Canadian study on how far they traveled after release. I wonder if they chipped them to track them?
    But I would bet they did the study as neutral as possible, without things to 'anchor' them to the area like feeders and daily treats.
    If you are doing treats and have feeders.. I think it will cancel the averages in the study.

I find the major difference is the sex of the squirrel. The females remain within sight for years.. the males almost always (ultimately) head off into the blue.
    You can't gauge it by their attitude either. I have had affectionate (I love you) squirrels leave, and aggressive (i hate you) squirrels remain and bang on my window every morning for nuts.

As far as 'when to release them'... everyone has a different opinion. Some keep them a week.. some for months.
    My own opinion is 'when they are ready'. I go by how much they appear to be yearning to be 'out there'. Your female sounds ready, the males not so much.

So basically my answer is 'the only opinion is what YOU feel is correct'. Because you are the one who accepted doing the best for them, so you have to be the one happy with the choice of time.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Asos (08-16-2019), Scooterzmom (08-18-2019)

Well, I normally do a minimum of 3 weeks in the release cage before opening the portal. I make adjustments depending on weather etc. and I always do everything I can to be around the first few days they are out.

The exception would be a wild brought in to be treated for injuries or illnesses. Then just a few days to allow them to acclimate to the new area (assuming it was not one from my house).

I think that where you are releasing and your circumstances also influence these decisions. I am lucky enough to be releasing at my home... and I work from home.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Scooterzmom (08-18-2019)

Treecat Guest

What part of the country do you live in?
    I was looking for someone else to release my babies that has experience and can do it at their home.
    I'm in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Treecat View Post
    What part of the country do you live in?
    I was looking for someone else to release my babies that has experience and can do it at their home.
    I'm in Texas.
    If this was directed to me, I am in extreme NE Georgia (Lake Hartwell).

If these are fox squirrels, there are none in my area (but there are about 20 miles North of me as well as reds).