Thread: Echinacea for 4 week old grey squirrel

Shaunjaxon Guest

Exclamation Echinacea for 4 week old grey squirrel

Hello, I have just fostered a baby squirrel after cutting down his home, about 2 days ago. I rehydrated him and moved onto puppy formula yesterday morning

I'm in need of some advice on how to dilute Echinacea liquid for a 4 week old male squirrel. (Cannot get antibiotics from the vet because grey squirrels are vermin where I come from

After he feeds I have heard a quiet clicking, but it is not all the time. The only time he does it other than after feeding is when I pick him up and put him to my ear, then it goes away when he settles, then comes back when he starts wriggling and/or grabs my face. But it also sounds vocal so could be some sort of call/mew?

I've read that Echinacea extract boosts the immune system and also helps respiratory problems caused by aspiration. If this is aspiration pneumonia or inflammation, how do you recommend I give this to the little lad? Mobile version of this website won't let me upload a picture but I will list below what is said on the Echinacea extract bottle.

- 1 ml of oral liquid contains 860 mg of tincture from fresh Echinacea purpurea herb and 45 mg of tincture from fresh Echinacea purpurea root.
    Extraction solvent: ethanol 65% v/v
    Dose for human above age 12: 15 drops (0.6 ml) in a little water 2 or 3 times a day.

Default Re: Echinacea for 4 week old grey squirrel

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen anyone post on here that they’ve used echinacea on a squirrel. If you suspect aspiration pneumonia it will need to be treated with antibiotics.. call around to family and friends and see if you can locate some type of antibiotic. If you can get something then let folks on here know what the strength of the pill is and the type of medication and someone will tell you if it will work.

Echinacea is an excellent immune system booster, yes, and people put it in their water fountains and water bowls for local wildlife. It has been said to reduce the incidences of pox in a neighborhood when distributed this way. However, once aspiration pneumonia or any other type of infection is present the animal needs antibiotics, without a doubt.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Watch out, for using Echinacea can significantly raise the white blood cell count.

Shaunjaxon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen anyone post on here that they’ve used echinacea on a squirrel. If you suspect aspiration pneumonia it will need to be treated with antibiotics.. call around to family and friends and see if you can locate some type of antibiotic. If you can get something then let folks on here know what the strength of the pill is and the type of medication and someone will tell you if it will work.
    Thank you for the advice, he hasn't clicked since moving onto a better 1cc syringe. I think he is fine. His skin is loose and wrinkly, could this be because he is underweight? Yesterday was the first day he properly ate all of his formula, on Friday I got the quantities of formula wrong and underfed him at each feeding time.

Where are you located? You can private message me if you don't want it on the public Board. We may know of experienced rehabbers who are near you who can help with this little one.

IF skin is loose and wrinkly, he is probably dehydrated from not being fed enough, or often enough. One solution would be to prepare a hydration formula:

2 cups very warm water
    1.5 TABLEspoons sugar or 1 TEAspoon honey
    .5 salt (sea salt preferred)

Give him as much as he wants of this BETWEEN feedings, so if you are feeding every 3 hrs give him hydration at the 1.5 hr mark. Do this for one 12-hr period and it should bring his hydration back up to normal.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Shaunjaxon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Where are you located? You can private message me if you don't want it on the public Board. We may know of experienced rehabbers who are near you who can help with this little one.

IF skin is loose and wrinkly, he is probably dehydrated from not being fed enough, or often enough. One solution would be to prepare a hydration formula:

2 cups very warm water
    1.5 TABLEspoons sugar or 1 TEAspoon honey
    .5 salt

Give him as much as he wants of this BETWEEN feedings, so if you are feeding every 3 hrs give him hydration at the 1.5 hr mark. Do this for one 12-hr period and it should bring his hydration back up to normal.
    I will private message you.
    I have been giving the little guy sugar and salt water here and there but I'll do what you suggest and keep it going for 12 hours, he weighs around 80g so how much solution should I be giving him between feeds, 4ml/cc? Also does this include overnight?

Shaunjaxon Guest

Thank you for the concern and advice, I have found the wee lad an experienced rehabilitator and is now in more capable hands!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.