Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scared for Peetie

Default Re: Scared for Peetie

Thanks Crittermom for your answer to my question I sent you by PM on whether to combine it with the calcium, and unsweetened cranberry juice.

As for getting the calcium into her, since she likes the cranberry already, and has accepted it, why change it? It's better to go with this healthier source that won't significantly reduce the calcium in the treatment as highly concentrated processed sugars do by causing calcium from the meal to be dumped into the urine, lending to the formation of kidney stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Thanks Crittermom for your answer to my question I sent you by PM on whether to combine it with the calcium, and unsweetened cranberry juice.

As for getting the calcium into her, since she likes the cranberry already, and has accepted it, why change it? It's better to go with this healthier source that won't significantly reduce the calcium in the treatment as highly concentrated processed sugars do by causing calcium from the meal to be dumped into the urine, lending to the formation of kidney stones.
    Yes for the cranberry juice with the calcium. I suggested using the super sweet grenadine for the CIPRO. Have you ever tasted cipro? It is absolutely vile!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Diggie's Friend (08-16-2019)

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back but I had a family emergency yesterday. I checked Peetie’s private’s last night and she is a little swollen. I haven’t seen any tee tee on or in her pin. There again she usually goes to the bottom of her cage to tee tee. I’ve not seen any this morning. So I don’t know. How long do squirrels stay in heat?

Can you tell me the formula for figuring how much Cipro to give her. I have to get some scales today to weigh her.

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie’s mom View Post
    Can you tell me the formula for figuring how much Cipro to give her. I have to get some scales today to weigh her.
    Once you post her weight, someone here will calculate the dosage and send you a private message with complete directions of how to first dilute the pill, and then how much of the resulting liquid you will give her per dose.

You did say that she appeared a little swollen. Have you seen her pee? Watch her for a bit - if she is trying to pee multiple times but isn't actually going, that is a big sign of a UTI. Is she acting any differently?

She acts like she doesn’t feel good. She is not her playful self. She appeared to be a little swollen. I have noticed her dragging her rear end on her perch.

I am hoping someone with experience with girl squirrels chimes in here - I have only had boys who are WAY less subtle than the girls.

She acts like she doesn’t feel good. She is not her playful self. She appeared to be a little swollen. I have noticed her dragging her rear end on her perch.
    I have been trying to watch her but with no luck

If you give me a weigh I will calculate it for you. In the PM I will give you the formula.

Peetie weighs 1.3 lbs

Peetie weighs 1.3 lbs
    Double check that. Perhaps 1 pound 3 ounces, not 1.3 pounds? Those are very different weights. Often the scale will allow you to switch between pounds and grams or kilograms. That will be more exact.

She weighed 595 grams

I will calculate this with 595 grams. Give me a minute.

Actually I thought 1.3 lbs was 1 pound and 3oz my bad

Actually I thought 1.3 lbs was 1 pound and 3oz my bad
    Such a common error that I look for it any time I see weight given in pounds!

Dosing sent.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

JLM27 (08-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Such a common error that I look for it any time I see weight given in pounds!
    I have held off on dosing Peetie because I watched her pee pee last night and blotted it with a white paper towel and didn’t see any blood or dark color urine. I am gonna watch her closer and go from there.

Thought to share, to keep a lookout for a white liquid discharge; this wouldn't be from a UTI, but from vaginitis, as our vet explained to me, which can dangerous if it backs up into the uterus. This began to occur at about 5 years of age with our girl each time she went into heat, ending with a thick cheesy consistency as it began to dry up, which clogged the orifice so that it had to be cleaned off till it was gone. Oral AB were given for this bacterial infection.

However I have been able to put the squirrel cal on the tip of my finger put some in her mouth that way. She acts like she feels better today.
    I just info on squirrel cal from Exotic Nutrition and 1 teaspoon has 0.965 teaspoons of calcium per serving. Is that good or not so good?

I just info on squirrel cal from Exotic Nutrition and 1 teaspoon has 0.965 teaspoons of calcium per serving. Is that good or not so good?
    That is fine. I am going to assume that it is the same as pretty much any powdered calcium - make it easy and say 1 teaspoon = 1000 mg of calcium. That would be a level teaspoon, not heaping. So half a teaspoon would be 500mg, a quarter teaspoon 250mg, and so on.

The MBD protocol starts off at about 500mg calcium per day, spaced out in multiple doses through the day. So you would be getting a total of 1/2 teaspoon of calcium into your squirrel PER DAY. It is a pretty small amount so you can usually hide it in multiple things.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast