Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not pooping

Unhappy Not pooping

Have 2 week old squirrel, she has stopped pooping. She was on the esbilac then switched to fox valley. Tried soaking has not helped.

Default Re: Not pooping

How long has the baby not been pooping?

Which Fox Valley are you using?
    If you are using 32/40.. stop using it immediately. We have seen a lot of baby squirrels bloat and die on that.
    If you are using 20/50.. it is good for baby squirrels, but not until they open their eyes. It is often too rich for a 2 week old.

Flip back to Esbilac until it opens its' eyes.. and then use a 50/50 mix of Esbilac and Fox Valley 20/50 for a while.

Right now, your concern is getting the stuff moving through it's intestines...
    How full does the tummy look? Does it feel hard like a rubber ball, or soft like a water balloon? Is it a soft uniform pink, or does it have red areas like a rash?

If the tummy feels soft... go back to Esbilac, offer a little simethicone twice per day (Infant Gas-X at drug store or grocery), and try light tummy massages and warm water bottom baths while stimulating.
    If the tummy feels hard and/or has redness along the bottom you may be looking at bloat. You would want to offer just water for a few feedings, simethicone, and massages and baths.

Also check it's dehydration level by pinching the skin behind the neck. If it stays pinched when you release it, or does not relax quickly, offer some water (not pedialyte) between meals.

Also (sorry for so many question, but the more info the better we understand the baby's status) how is it's appetite? Does it act starving, hungry, reluctant, or refuses food?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Bravo (08-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    How long has the baby not been pooping?

Which Fox Valley are you using?
    If you are using 32/40.. stop using it immediately. We have seen a lot of baby squirrels bloat and die on that.
    If you are using 20/50.. it is good for baby squirrels, but not until they open their eyes. It is often too rich for a 2 week old.

Flip back to Esbilac until it opens its' eyes.. and then use a 50/50 mix of Esbilac and Fox Valley 20/50 for a while.

Right now, your concern is getting the stuff moving through it's intestines...
    How full does the tummy look? Does it feel hard like a rubber ball, or soft like a water balloon? Is it a soft uniform pink, or does it have red areas like a rash?

If the tummy feels soft... go back to Esbilac, offer a little simethicone twice per day (Infant Gas-X at drug store or grocery), and try light tummy massages and warm water bottom baths while stimulating.
    If the tummy feels hard and/or has redness along the bottom you may be looking at bloat. You would want to offer just water for a few feedings, simethicone, and massages and baths.

Also check it's dehydration level by pinching the skin behind the neck. If it stays pinched when you release it, or does not relax quickly, offer some water (not pedialyte) between meals.

Also (sorry for so many question, but the more info the better we understand the baby's status) how is it's appetite? Does it act starving, hungry, reluctant, or refuses food?
    . She has pooped. Will stop FV and go back to esbilac. She was on that when she stopped pooping. Her tummy feels like a balloon. How do I avoid this from happening again? I feed her till her tummy feels like a water balloon every 3 hours even thru night. Thank you do much for helping me

She is not dehydrated. Also how much do I give of the Childrens gas x if needed? She pooped a lot this morning when will I see her go back to normal poops after her feedings? Sorry I am all over the place just very panicked

Quote Originally Posted by Momof2boys View Post
    She is not dehydrated. Also how much do I give of the Childrens gas x if needed? She pooped a lot this morning when will I see her go back to normal poops after her feedings? Sorry I am all over the place just very panicked
    I normally do about .05 ml (half of 1/10th of a milliliter) of Gax-X as a preventative once per day. Which is equal to about 2 drops of water. I do it at the start of a feeding so it gets washed down with the formula.

If you have them on the right formula (Esbilac powder), at the right mix (1 part powder to 2 parts water), 5% of body weight per feeding (1 ml for each 20 grams weight), and the right frequency (every 3 hours until they open their eyes)... they should run smooth.
    If you do not have a grams scale... you can get a kitchen one at Walmart for less than $15. Once per day set it to grams, put a tupperware bowl on it, zero the scale, then weigh them in the bowl. Divide that by 20 to find how much to feed them per meal. (This comes out to 5% of their body weight). You don't want to feed them by eye until they look full.. you want to cut them off at 5%. Feeding them too much can cause diarrhea, then dehydration, and then not pooping.

Other than that the most important things are always feeding with a syringe at an upwards angle (to prevent aspiration), and stimulation.

It's normal to feel panicky. I feel the same way every single time a baby will not poop.. after doing over 80 of these guys now.
    You would think I would be calmer about it by now. But I lose sleep every single time.

Watch for signs they are not 'starving'. It is often just that the formula is too hot or cold. But it can also be a symptom if it is a repeated pattern.
    It helps to keep a log of their weight per day.. and amount per feeding. So you can spot patterns, or see that they are reluctant to eat now because they pigged out last time.

She pooped earlier today but so far nothing. Is this normal because she pooped so much before should I be worried?

I totally forgot to mention warmth. Keeping them at the right temperature (they should feel warm to the touch, but not hot) is very important.
    I am constantly checking and adjusting how warm they are.

They can be very inconsistent during the first 10 days on formula.
    They are basically working out air bubbles, filling up intestines, and trying to catch up by converting most of the food into squirrel.
    Also if you stimulated her well in water.. and got a lot of poop out.. she may just not have anything to poop right now.
    And it may take up to 10 minutes of stimulation to find the right pattern, or spot that will get poop to come out.
    I normally stimulate until the anus closes up, and no longer has an opening.

Also check their bedding for passive pooping.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Bravo (08-05-2019)

I bought the infants mylicon and gave her 2 drops before I fed her. Is it alright it is cherry flavor? She is in a Tupperware box with heating pad half on off plus a few t shirts on the bottom and on top of her. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the help and all the questions I have. I am sure I will be asking many more.

I totally forgot to mention warmth. Keeping them at the right temperature (they should feel warm to the touch, but not hot) is very important.
    I am constantly checking and adjusting how warm they are.

They can be very inconsistent during the first 10 days on formula.
    They are basically working out air bubbles, filling up intestines, and trying to catch up by converting most of the food into squirrel.
    Also if you stimulated her well in water.. and got a lot of poop out.. she may just not have anything to poop right now.
    And it may take up to 10 minutes of stimulation to find the right pattern, or spot that will get poop to come out.
    I normally stimulate until the anus closes up, and no longer has an opening.

Also check their bedding for passive pooping.
    How warm should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Momof2boys View Post
    How warm should it be?
    Ideally, a furless baby squirrel will be kept in an environment that's at a constant temperature of 100° F. A furred baby between 4 to 10 weeks will still be sensitive to cold; however, will do fine in temperatures between 96° to 98° degrees F. If you have more than one baby, they will typically be able to maintain their body temperature by snuggling together in warm bedding, like fleece or cotton.

Their body temperature is 99, and yours is 98.6, so they should feel warm, but not hot to touch.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Diggie's Friend (08-06-2019)

Ideally, a furless baby squirrel will be kept in an environment that's at a constant temperature of 100° F. A furred baby between 4 to 10 weeks will still be sensitive to cold; however, will do fine in temperatures between 96° to 98° degrees F. If you have more than one baby, they will typically be able to maintain their body temperature by snuggling together in warm bedding, like fleece or cotton.

Their body temperature is 99, and yours is 98.6, so they should feel warm, but not hot to touch.
    I have weighed her and she is 26 grams. She has not pooped yet. Will start today to give her water in between feedings. Should I give her 1m? Then an hour later give her formula of 1m. Oh she has no problem peeing she does after every feeding.

I would (at 26 grams) feed her 1.25 ml of formula every three hours, and maybe .5 ml of water between feedings.
    Keep an eye on how full her tummy is, how it feels, and watch for any discoloration.

When stimulating her to poop, an up and down flicking with a wet finger tip on her privates (like you are tickling) should work.
    Watch her anus to see if it opens up like she is trying to poop.
    It also helps to hold them upright in a sitting position while stimulating, with one finger pushing the tail back out of the way.
    I have noticed that the feeling of her warm pee or warm water on the anus will stimulate pooping.
    I also massage the tummy with small downward strokes.

If she has not pooped in several feedings, try stimulating with her bottom in a bowl of warm water.

How long has she been on Esbilac now, and how long since her last poop?

It’s has been since around 9am yesterday that she went back on the esbilac and last pooped around same time. I gave her 2 drops of mylicon this morning it is cherry flavor which is original flavor. Hope that is alright. She eats well. And pees I noticed yellow stains on the t shirts also but no poop.

The cherry mylicon should be okay.

Yellow stains on the t shirts could be diarrhea. It may that she IS pooping.. but only diarrhea. She would not be putting out very much right now. Watch for any yellow residue on her bottom.

As long as she has a good appetite, tummy does not feel hard or have hard lumps, tummy does not look too large, and there is no discoloration or red spots keep feeding her as normal.
    You can try giving her .5 ml diluted warm apple juice between feedings. Tummy massages and bottom stimulation in warm water as before. Keep an eye on her hydration.

At any sign of lack of appetite, hardness in the tummy, tummy too full, or red areas on the tummy... stop the formula and give her just warm water for 2 feedings (6 hours), with tummy massages.
    Then put her back on formula again, because we have to put solids in to get solids out.

It would help if you could post a picture of her tummy so we can see how it looks.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  52.7 KB

Hope picture is good enough if not will try again

That looks pretty good.
    No sign of red marks, and the folds in the tummy skin look like it is not over extended.
    Can you do a picture more from the side so I can see how much the tummy sticks up?

Is this the only squirrel you have, or does she has siblings?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  72.9 KB

They were injured and did not make it. I was told they hit the pavement.

No...she definitely does not look bloated.
    I am beginning to think she is hiding her poop in the bedding as diarrhea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast