Thread: Pinky Help!

Default Pinky Help!

We recently (tuesday) found a pinky in a parking lot about to be run over. Got him home, warmed up, electrolytes in him, and he's been eating and pottying fine ever since.
    I've worked in zoos with tons of exotics and bottle raised babies but this whole pinky thing is a new world for me!! So any help and tips are appreciated!
    I read about the clicking and that makes me nervous. I hear a slight click during feeding times but a couple mins after he's done I don't hear it anymore. Should I worry about pneumonia?
    HOW do I maintain a regular temp with this heating pad? I keep a thermometer down with him and it seems to fluctuate a good bit. Also, what is the right temp it should stay at?
    Today I did worry a little about his belly. His underside looks like I can see his intestines on the inside. I realize he's a pinky and basically transparent but they didn't look lumpy like that yesterday. He's pooping and peeing very regularly so I don't feel that it's constipation or anything.

The picture with the arrow is the "lumpy" I was referring to. The picture is sort of hard to tell, but it is very faint at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Pinky Help!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPancake View Post
    We recently (tuesday) found a pinky in a parking lot about to be run over. Got him home, warmed up, electrolytes in him, and he's been eating and pottying fine ever since.
    I've worked in zoos with tons of exotics and bottle raised babies but this whole pinky thing is a new world for me!! So any help and tips are appreciated!
    I read about the clicking and that makes me nervous. I hear a slight click during feeding times but a couple mins after he's done I don't hear it anymore. Should I worry about pneumonia?
    HOW do I maintain a regular temp with this heating pad? I keep a thermometer down with him and it seems to fluctuate a good bit. Also, what is the right temp it should stay at?
    Today I did worry a little about his belly. His underside looks like I can see his intestines on the inside. I realize he's a pinky and basically transparent but they didn't look lumpy like that yesterday. He's pooping and peeing very regularly so I don't feel that it's constipation or anything.
    The picture with the arrow is the "lumpy" I was referring to. The picture is sort of hard to tell, but it is very faint at the moment.

Some babies do seem to "click" during feeding and is often confused with being Ap.
    That is likely all it is since it's only during feeding and no other apparent signs of ap.
    I do suggest holding the baby's chest up to your ear like you would a phone and listen
    to his breathing and see if you detect any click.

What are you feeding this baby with, bottles are a big no.
    What formula are you feeding and do you have a weight on him to know how much to be feeding?
    Do you stimulate him to potty at each feeding and what are his bowels like?
    Questions important to figure out your concern about intestines and the "lump" which could
    be related any of the above.

Heating pad should be a no shut off type, set on low, placed half under his container.

I'm attaching a link for you that will cover many of your questions and
    give step by step instructions. It's six pages with the next top right.
    It can be a huge help...

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (08-03-2019), RockyPops (08-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Some babies do seem to "click" during feeding and is often confused with being Ap.
    That is likely all it is since it's only during feeding and no other apparent signs of ap.
    I do suggest holding the baby's chest up to your ear like you would a phone and listen

What formula are you feeding and do you have a weight on him to know how much to be feeding?
    Questions important to figure out your concern about intestines and the "lump" which could

Heating pad should be a no shut off type, set on low, placed half under his container.

It can be a huge help...

Thanks for the tips!
    I am feeding him with a 3cc syringe (I couldn't find any smaller at the local supply store) with a nipple on the end.
    I have only had him since Tuesday so I'm not sure what his weight was the first few days but I got a scale small enough for him yesterday. Yesterday evening and today he weighed 14g. How fast would be normal weight gain?
    I've been feeding him between .7cc and 1cc each time. Trying to stick in the 5-7% range.
    I do have the no shut off type heat pad and did adjust it to half of the container with some tshirts instead of towels in for him.

I checked out that website (thank you for that!) I do have a question about the formula. I have the powdered esbilac. I read somewhere that if it doesn't say probiotics and prebiotics on the top then as long as the 3rd ingredient is the whey protein then I can use it. Is that correct or do I need to switch immediately? Also for the first couple days I couldn't even find the powdered type and had to use the liquid esbilac. Is this going to cause future problems?

It can be a huge help...

Oh, forgot to add, I do stimulate him after every feeding and he's peeing every single time. Sometimes he doesn't poop right away but when I go to feed him the next time there will be poop there. So he is still going. Mostly brown in color. Not hard but not like diarrhea either.
    As far as the intestines, maybe I'm just getting in my head thinking things are going wrong with him and I'm just seeing his intestines through his super thin skin? At least that's what I hope!

The correct formula pictured below, sounds like it's what you have.
    Liquid formula's do not digest well and sometimes sits like a sludge in their systems.
    Don't know if you did or not but it's recommended to hydrate to flush the system out
    before switching from liquid to powered formula. If you suspect he's not going as he
    should, at this point I would suggest hydrating with plain water maybe sweetened with
    a touch of honey for taste in between regular feeds.

Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  65.8 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Grinderhead (08-03-2019)

The correct formula pictured below, sounds like it's what you have.
    Liquid formula's do not digest well and sometimes sits like a sludge in their systems.
    Don't know if you did or not but it's recommended to hydrate to flush the system out
    before switching from liquid to powered formula. If you suspect he's not going as he
    should, at this point I would suggest hydrating with plain water maybe sweetened with
    a touch of honey for taste in between regular feeds.

Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  65.8 KB
    I have the one on the left in the picture but the 3rd ingredient is the whey protein!
    Should I give him a cc of water to flush his system now after the switch since I didn't do it when I did switch? Maybe that could be the lumpy look to his intestines?
    Also, is it normal for them to twitch occasionally? I mostly notice it when I have him on his back stimulating him but he could be doing it other times when I'm not actively watching him. Would this be maybe a sugar low?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPancake View Post
    I have the one on the left in the picture but the 3rd ingredient is the whey protein!
    Should I give him a cc of water to flush his system now after the switch since I didn't do it when I did switch? Maybe that could be the lumpy look to his intestines?
    Also, is it normal for them to twitch occasionally? I mostly notice it when I have him on his back stimulating him but he could be doing it other times when I'm not actively watching him. Would this be maybe a sugar low?
    Thanks again!
    As long as the 3rd ingredient is whey protein it's correct.
    Never harms to hydrate...
    Babies do twitch, it's normal.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed