Thread: 3 wk old baby diarrhea

Unhappy 3 wk old baby diarrhea

Hey we found a baby squirrel Sunday, and we love him so much, I've done everything correct according to the forums or so I thought, he got constipated from the Esbilac puppy milk, and I gave him some warm sugar water he had a big poop after minimal pooping for 2 days, today he had a little diarrhea after the solid poop, so I stead of milk I've replaced 2 of his feedings with Pedialyte. He's peed a bunch but no more runny poop. When will he be able to have milk, and when will I know if he's okay. Thank you for your help. Concerned squirrel mom.

Default Re: 3 wk old baby diarrhea

He weighs 41Grams, and he has shown no signs of aspiration, we are very careful.

What color poops have you seen? Black/brown/yellow...
    It is not unusual for a baby to stop pooping for a while during the first week. They are not constipated... they have flushed out mommas milk (brown poop) and need to refill their intestines with formula. They can take several days to go through this transition and see poop again. Since you treated him with sugar water, and he flushed some out.. he may be pretty empty in the lower intestines right now. He will need to build up some solids to have something to poop.
    Go back to normal mix for your formula (1 part powder to 2 parts water), feeding 2 ml every three hours. Do not get worried if you see no poop for a few feedings.
    Check his hydration level by pinching the skin on his back behind the head. If it stays pinched... give him some water between feedings, but do not dilute his meal as that may actually cause more diarrhea and dehydration.
    The best prevention of aspiration is to always feed with the syringe pointing up at an angle. Never feed at a downward angle or with his head back as it creates a straight path to the lungs.
    Watch for any signs of his tummy feeling too full and hard like a rubber ball. It should normally feel like a water balloon.

The main things to watch out for right now are:
    - overfull tummy that feels hard
    - dehydration or not peeing
    - not acting starving, hungry, or refusing food (a symptom he does not feel well)

He will be inconsistent on pooping for a while as he gets used to the new food. I have frequently had babies that just don't want to poop now and then.
    If you are keeping him properly warm, and his hydration looks good, just stay the course on feedings and watch for the signs above.
    I also get worried when a baby will not poop... but sometimes they just don't feel like pooping today
    I have had babies that were incredibly consistent for weeks... and then just decided to not poop for 24 hours. I twiddled and twiddled them.. and they gave me a look like "Give up. I'm not pooping today."

If you want to be more proactive.. you can give him a small dose of simethicone to smooth the digestive path and remove gas bubbles. It is sold in drug stores and groceries in the infant section as 'Infant Gas-X'. It is pretty safe to use and should help him be more consistent and feel better.

Red face Re: 3 wk old baby diarrhea

Javarat thank you so much I feel so much better with the information you gave. I was thinking that, but I talked to some super crazy ladies that wanted me to Uber my baby to them said he was dying and I was doing wrong. I'll go grab some baby gas x he still is very active and I keep a warm water bottle in his habitat so his temp doesn't drop. We've been feeding him out of a syringe, and his miracle nipple will be delivered tomorrow. I'll continue to mix his milk with water. I really appreciate you getting back to me #ittakesavillage

When you say 'milk' you mean Esbilac powder, right?

On the bottle.. the problem with bottles is while they are warmer than the baby.. they give heat.
    But once they get cooler than the baby.. they suck heat away from it.
    A heating pad that does not have an automatic shutoff is the best bet. You can get them at pet stores. Then adjust the number of layers between the pad and tub until he feels warm.
    Also use a plastic tub.. not a cardboard box. Cardboard pulls moisture from the air and the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelmom0817 View Post
    Javarat thank you so much I feel so much better with the information you gave. I was thinking that, but I talked to some super crazy ladies that wanted me to Uber my baby to them said he was dying and I was doing wrong. I'll go grab some baby gas x he still is very active and I keep a warm water bottle in his habitat so his temp doesn't drop. We've been feeding him out of a syringe, and his miracle nipple will be delivered tomorrow. I'll continue to mix his milk with water. I really appreciate you getting back to me #ittakesavillage

Here is an excellent guide to Baby Squirrel Care
    It's 6 SHORT pages long with the next arrow at the
    top right.
    Akkk I tried to provide you with the link, and there is a problem
    with their web site now.

I'll see if I can get it to you later.

Edit: The site is up, so you can view the Baby Squirrel Guide.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Just to be on the safe said, is this the puppy esbilac that you're feeding?

Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-02-2019 at 07:28 AM.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

stepnstone (08-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    When you say 'milk' you mean Esbilac powder, right?
    Yes he is on Esbilac, and we feed him with the miracle nipple we ordered from a squirrel website that led us to the squirrel board. He's upto 45 grams and he's going well. His poop is mustard and brown he's pooping and peeing fine. And gaining weight. I keep a warm water bottle in his habitat along with towels and cotton he's very warm and when I'm awake I use a heating pad to keep his enclosure warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelmom0817 View Post
    Yes he is on Esbilac, and we feed him with the miracle nipple we ordered from a squirrel website that led us to the squirrel board. He's upto 45 grams and he's going well. His poop is mustard and brown he's pooping and peeing fine. And gaining weight. I keep a warm water bottle in his habitat along with towels and cotton he's very warm and when I'm awake I use a heating pad to keep his enclosure warm.

Sounds like you are doing well and he is comin along.

A few suggestions.

Please replace the water bottle with a no-shut-off heating pad set to low placed under 1/2 the plastic contain he is in... this let's him crawl to the cooler side if needed. Water bottles are only good for short term situations, like transporting them home for example. Since you cannot make the water bottle too hot, it does not take longer for the temp to drop below the baby's ideal temperature and once that happens the water bottle will rob the baby of heat causing them to cool off much quicker than if there were no water bottle. Not a good, long term situation.

Terry cloth towels are not squirrel friendly because the loops get caught up in their nails and we have seen this result in serious injuries. Fleece, flannel and t-shirt materials are better suited as squirrel bedding.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (08-06-2019)

Glad to hear he is doing well.
    4 grams in 5 days is a decent gain at this age.
    At 45 grams he should be eating 2.25 ml every three hours.
    (His weight divided by 20)

You can get a heating pad with no shutoff at walmart in the pet section for around $20.