Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2ish week old orphan, skin condition?? Pls help

Default Re: 2ish week old orphan, skin condition?? Pls help

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It doesn’t matter that it’s expired. We will use it. I will estimate the weight at 35 grams. Give me a minute to calculate this and I will send it in a Private Message.
    Thank you so so so much

Dosing sent.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

rhianne (07-25-2019)

By the way, the bumps could either be a Staph infection or ant bites. Out of an abundance of caution it’s safer to treat.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (07-26-2019), rhianne (07-27-2019), stepnstone (07-25-2019)

Hello everyone, back again, treating baby girl with betadine baths and cephalexin 2x a day, but now have noticed in addition to swollen toes, her knee is very swollen. Could not figure out how to attach photo in PM so am posting in the thread again hoping someone can help me btw I just weighed her and she is 85g but that was after a feeding. Also- can anyone tell me if these conditions are communicable to humans?

*post was edited to show a better photo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TO the best of my knowledge the only skin conditions communicable to humans from squirrels are ringworm, roundworm and mange mites. I don't believe this is any of those things. Is the baby still getting Pedialyte by any chance? Pedialyte longer than 24 hrs will cause joint swelling because of the sodium.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TO the best of my knowledge the only skin conditions communicable to humans from squirrels are ringworm, roundworm and mange mites. I don't believe this is any of those things. Is the baby still getting Pedialyte by any chance? Pedialyte longer than 24 hrs will cause joint swelling because of the sodium.
    Oh my gosh yes she still gets pedialyte! Only once or twice a day but I will stop immediately, I have been concerned that she’s still dehydrated because her skin stays tented when I pinch it gently behind her shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by rhianne View Post
    Oh my gosh yes she still gets pedialyte! Only once or twice a day but I will stop immediately, I have been concerned that she’s still dehydrated because her skin stays tented when I pinch it gently behind her shoulders
    Will this cause any lasting damage??

She should be okay once the salt flushes from her system. You can give her plain water between feedings - if she fusses because it isn't sweet anymore like the pedialyte is, you can add a pinch of sugar to it.

That explains it then. Stop immediately and she should recover completely.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    She should be okay once the salt flushes from her system. You can give her plain water between feedings - if she fusses because it isn't sweet anymore like the pedialyte is, you can add a pinch of sugar to it.
    Today was a good day. My boy was awake more than usual and he nibbled on his picky block, a piece of sweet potato and a piece of apple. Most of all he LOVES his syringe of honey water masking his calcium.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Hilbillygirl:

lukaslolamaus (07-27-2019), stepnstone (07-27-2019)

Hello everyone. Update on baby girl and another plea for help. The white bumps with blue green centers have not changed in appearance at all. The swelling in her toes has gone down significantly but is still present. She now has swelling in both knees as of just this morning. The newer one is more red and inflamed. She can’t seem to physically eat more than 2ml at a time, and I am also giving water, but still her skin tents as though she’s dehydrated. She has been on cephalexin and receiving betadine baths both 2x daily since Wednesday of last week. I have called multiple vets and am waiting on responses, but it looks like it may be a long drive before I can get her to one, which I of course am willing to do. But first...can anyone help? I’m attaching current photos, if you scroll up the thread you will see the pics from Wednesday/Thursday. I am eternally grateful for any help you may be able to give me as well as the help and advice I have already received. It is worth mentioning that she is pottying and eating normally. She mostly sleeps unless she’s hungry and then becomes quite active and is very strong. What do I do??

Hello everyone. Update on baby girl and another plea for help. The white bumps with blue green centers have not changed in appearance at all. The swelling in her toes has gone down significantly but is still present. She now has swelling in both knees as of just this morning. The newer one is more red and inflamed. She can’t seem to physically eat more than 2ml at a time, and I am also giving water, but still her skin tents as though she’s dehydrated. She has been on cephalexin and receiving betadine baths both 2x daily since Wednesday of last week. I have called multiple vets and am waiting on responses, but it looks like it may be a long drive before I can get her to one, which I of course am willing to do. But first...can anyone help? I’m attaching current photos, if you scroll up the thread you will see the pics from Wednesday/Thursday. I am eternally grateful for any help you may be able to give me as well as the help and advice I have already received. It is worth mentioning that she is pottying and eating normally. She mostly sleeps unless she’s hungry and then becomes quite active and is very strong. What do I do??
    Note: I do not keep her anywhere near that litter box, that’s just the brightest lighting in the house 😅
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Note: I do not keep her anywhere near that litter box, that’s just the brightest lighting in the house 😅
    The visible knee is the newer one with the recent swelling. Is her skin splitting with all the swelling? Is there a chance she’s scratching herself that deeply? There’s absolutely nothing that could have caused that new cut on her knee where that swelling is...or is it not a cut but another skin bump of some kind??

Sorry, I didn’t see these posts before I answered your PM. You have included everything that I requested as questions.

When you said the other knee was swollen I almost flipped. I thought that meant swelling in the joint which would be very bad. This far down the road it would have nothing to do with Pedialyte as that was discontinued. From the pic, I see a new swollen lesion ON the knee... not joint involvement. That was a relief to see that as joint involvement would indicate a systemic infection. Not good.

In the mean time, remind me of the other antibiotics that you have.
    I wanted to see new pics because I wanted to make SURE this isn’t pox. I still agree with my original thought.... this does not look like pox.

Sorry, I didn’t see these posts before I answered your PM. You have included everything that I requested as questions.

When you said the other knee was swollen I almost flipped. I thought that meant swelling in the joint which would be very bad. This far down the road it would have nothing to do with Pedialyte as that was discontinued. From the pic, I see a new swollen lesion ON the knee... not joint involvement. That was a relief to see that as joint involvement would indicate a systemic infection. Not good.

In the mean time, remind me of the other antibiotics that you have.
    I wanted to see new pics because I wanted to make SURE this isn’t pox. I still agree with my original thought.... this does not look like pox.
    I also have doxycycline, amoxicillin, and diflucan. ☹️

Hi. Just saw your precious baby and her poor owies. I’m wondering if she’s on the right antibiotic? I am NOT the expert but there are way smart folks here who can answer that question. I know there are instances of MERSA and staph in squirrels so just wondering if there might be something more going on. No alarm here— just wondering. Oops—just noticed the pro is on it!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

HRT4SQRLS (07-29-2019)

Actually the lesions don’t look as bad as I expected. Have some of the lesions started healing?
    Can you post a pic of the toes that were swollen. You said they have gone down.

IF this is a Staph infection (we are quessing) it’s not unusual for new lesion to appear like an impetigo type spread just from contact. There don’t have to be scratches or wounds. Continue the dilute betadyne on the lesions. Wipe her entire belly and legs with the betadyne as a disinfectant. I would blot the lesions with Betadyne separately from the belly wipe down. Use a Qtip on the lesions. Don’t re-dip it into to your solution. Keep your solution sterile. I would use a cotton ball to wipe the belly down.

Pat, I also think this looks like a Staph infection but it should have responded by now on Cephalexin. A ‘normal’ Staph would be sensitive to Cephalexin but if it’s MRSA it would be resistant. To cover for the possibility of MRSA we are going to add doxycycline. She has doxycycline. I asked her to check to make sure it isn’t expired. Doxycycline is an antibiotic that shouldn’t be used after the expiration date.

Pat, I also think this looks like a Staph infection but it should have responded by now on Cephalexin. A ‘normal’ Staph would be sensitive to Cephalexin but if it’s MRSA it would be resistant. To cover for the possibility of MRSA we are going to add doxycycline. She has doxycycline. I asked her to check to make sure it isn’t expired. Doxycycline is an antibiotic that shouldn’t be used after the expiration date.
    WE HAVE A WINNER! The doxy expires next year!! And they are 20mg tablets.

WE HAVE A WINNER! The doxy expires next year!! And they are 20mg tablets.
    Perfect. Please confirm that the pills are 20mg. That is VERY small. Also, post an updated weight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast