Thread: Scared girl?

Default Scared girl?

I originally posted this in my welcome post but may be better here? My fox girl is about 5 years old now. Up until 2 years ago she had her cage in the living room and every day I would open the doors and she had free run of the house till it was bedtime and I’d have to usually trick her to go in. She loved it and exploring. Grew up with a dog and two cats. She had no fear of them and even played with the dog. About two years ago I moved and she was put in a back bedroom where she had free run 24/7 without closing the cage doors. Never explored the rest of this house. Just a few days ago I decided I wanted to give her the life she used to have so I put her back in the living room so she can explore again and be happy like she was since she loved it so much. Well, since I moved her she hasn’t left her den once. Not even to eat or drink (unless she’s doing it while we are asleep when the house is quiet) is she just scared because of the change? Will she come around once she gets used to house sounds again? Should I worry? Anyone else have experience with this? I know she will be happier like this instead of stuck in the same room all the time.i don’t want to have to put her back in there away from the family. I’m sure it got very boring in there all alone. I’m hoping she will come around and be happily exploring and getting into trouble like she used to!! Just looking for advice. I reassure her often, open the doors to give her a chance to come out but she refuses so far. Help?!

Default Re: Scared girl?

Quote Originally Posted by IvyLove View Post
    I originally posted this in my welcome post but may be better here? My fox girl is about 5 years old now. Up until 2 years ago she had her cage in the living room and every day I would open the doors and she had free run of the house till it was bedtime and I’d have to usually trick her to go in. She loved it and exploring. Grew up with a dog and two cats. She had no fear of them and even played with the dog. About two years ago I moved and she was put in a back bedroom where she had free run 24/7 without closing the cage doors. Never explored the rest of this house. Just a few days ago I decided I wanted to give her the life she used to have so I put her back in the living room so she can explore again and be happy like she was since she loved it so much. Well, since I moved her she hasn’t left her den once. Not even to eat or drink (unless she’s doing it while we are asleep when the house is quiet) is she just scared because of the change? Will she come around once she gets used to house sounds again? Should I worry? Anyone else have experience with this? I know she will be happier like this instead of stuck in the same room all the time.i don’t want to have to put her back in there away from the family. I’m sure it got very boring in there all alone. I’m hoping she will come around and be happily exploring and getting into trouble like she used to!! Just looking for advice. I reassure her often, open the doors to give her a chance to come out but she refuses so far. Help?!

Think about this... You moved her to new territory, gave her her own space for two years, now you want her to give up her space and familiar surroundings to co-exist (again) in an environment different to what she's grown used to for the past two years with her established "safe zone." A better alternative would have been to keep opening her door to her room to allow her to come out if she wanted to explore and take in the strange environment with having her safe zone to retreat to. She may choose not to and feels content right where she's at or was at....
    Contrary to what many think squirrels are solitary animals and as they age with their natural instincts they define their space and their territory.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (07-24-2019), IvyLove (07-24-2019), lukaslolamaus (07-24-2019), Milo's Mom (07-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Think about this... You moved her to new territory, gave her her own space for two years, now you want her to give up her space and familiar surroundings to co-exist (again) in an environment different to what she's grown used to for the past two years with her established "safe zone." A better alternative would have been to keep opening her door to her room to allow her to come out if she wanted to explore and take in the strange environment with having her safe zone to retreat to. She may choose not to and feels content right where she's at or was at....
    Contrary to what many think squirrels are solitary animals and as they age with their natural instincts they define their space and their territory.
    I’ll reply here too saying that I’ll give her another day or so and if their is still no change I will move her back and just open the door every day to give her the choice. I want her to be happy and if putting her back in her room is what it takes I will do so. Thank you again for your feedback. I figured it was like when I moved and she was scared to come out for a day or so because of the change but eventually she came around and acted like her old self. Hoped someone was going to reassure me it would all be ok. But I trust other people’s expertise and if I have to I will. For her, I won’t be selfish and force her in a life she will never be happy with just because I think it’s better for ME. It’s about her not me. I love her and cannot force her to be unhappy just because I want something she doesn’t.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Squirrels are creature of habit. Her habit is her room. There's predators out in the rest of the house. Whether she got along with the dog before or not, she's telling you she doesn't anymore. I understand you'd like her to be more active in the main area of the house with the family, but sweetheart, IMHO this is a big big mistake waiting to happen.

If there's one thing I've learned in squirrel ownership....I don't own them, they own me. We go by there rules. Now obviously, as the human with opposable thumbs we need to create a safe environment, but at the end of the day we need to listen to them.

You've already stated that she's not eating or drinking like normal...this is a sign of utter terror. She's not happy. She doesn't like it. Please listen to what she's telling you.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Grinderhead (07-24-2019), IvyLove (07-25-2019), lukaslolamaus (07-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Squirrels are creature of habit. Her habit is her room. There's predators out in the rest of the house. Whether she got along with the dog before or not, she's telling you she doesn't anymore. I understand you'd like her to be more active in the main area of the house with the family, but sweetheart, IMHO this is a big big mistake waiting to happen.

If there's one thing I've learned in squirrel ownership....I don't own them, they own me. We go by there rules. Now obviously, as the human with opposable thumbs we need to create a safe environment, but at the end of the day we need to listen to them.

You've already stated that she's not eating or drinking like normal...this is a sign of utter terror. She's not happy. She doesn't like it. Please listen to what she's telling you.
    I am listening and appreciate all the input, I promise!! I have an update! She is almost back to normal now. When I got home last night she was eating out of her den, cuddling with me and acting normal. She hasn’t come out of the cage yet but leaves the comfort of her den to eat like normal and drink. I did just move her back to the room but she was acting normal for the most part before that. I’ll just open the door daily and give her the option to come out on her own. OH! And I’ve followed the dog advice, so when she has her play time I will keep both dogs up. I feel she will be more comfortable to explore if their are no other animals wandering around, even if she was good friends with one. It has been years since they played together and I guess even animal friendships can be less close,like strangers after a time. Thank you everyone. I’m so happy she is ok and doesn’t hate me for this!! She isn’t acting any different to me at all, still giving kisses and grooming me and cuddling. She’s such a good little girl and I can’t wait to post more on her adventures!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to IvyLove from:

stepnstone (07-25-2019)

Also, I have another random question. Not health related or anything even very important. When I interact with her she makes little noises. She’s always done this so it’s normal for her and she does it while playing or cuddling or kissing/grooming me so I know it’s not fear related or aggression or anything like that. I’m not even sure how to explain it really. One noise she makes is a kinda fast grunting noise? And another is a quiet kinda clicking noise? The makes the grunt noise usually when I wake her and she come out to greet me. The click is mainly while playing. What do these mean? I tried many times looking it up but really got nowhere. Any ideas? I figure she’s just talking to me in the only way she knows how. I know the sound she makes when she’s mad or I’m doing something she doesn’t like. Like picking her up to put her up. She HATES that and will do the squirrel scream type sound. Not pain scream but a general not happy with what you’re doing sound. I’m sure everyone knows that sound. Ha. It’s the other sounds I’m curious about. Thanks.

You're in luck: she loves you. The little grunting noise is one of happy to see you, like oh! so glad you're here. The little click is also a good thing... it's a calmer, pleasure indicator... a little bit like what purring means for cats in a way.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

IvyLove (07-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    You're in luck: she loves you. The little grunting noise is one of happy to see you, like oh! so glad you're here. The little click is also a good thing... it's a calmer, pleasure indicator... a little bit like what purring means for cats in a way.
    Oh that makes me so happy!! I was sure it meant something good but wasn’t sure! Thank you!