Thread: Help! Baby Opossums

Default Help! Baby Opossums

Last night my dog got a hold of a opossum who had babies. Mom got away with 2 but there were 3 left behind. I have used this board before when I rescued my squirrel Gimp. But it has been about 5 years. There is only 1 licensed rehabilitation center in the state of WV and I am waiting on them to call me back. They have been with me since around 12 AM and it's almost 10 AM. My question is how long can they go without food? I haven't given them any formula since I didn't have any Esibilac on hand, they are in a box with a heat pad under it, and I am sure traumatized. They mostly stayed curled up to each other but now they're crawling around and opening their mouths, I know they must be hungry and I'm worried about them possibly dehydrating. How long can I wait while I am waiting on the rehabilitation center to call me back?

Default Re: Help! Baby Opossums

Point of View Farms wildlife rehabilatation
    5207 Denmar Rd
    Hillsboro, West Virginia 24946
    (304) 951-4447

Even if not your area call them,
    they may be able to advise you on care
    and/or possibly where you can take them.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

They are who I called this morning. I am still waiting on them to call back. I can't believe that is the only lisenced wildlife rehabilitation facility in the state. That's crazy to me! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Point of View Farms wildlife rehabilatation
    5207 Denmar Rd
    Hillsboro, West Virginia 24946
    (304) 951-4447

Even if not your area call them,
    they may be able to advise you on care
    and/or possibly where you can take them.

Can you begin rehydrating them?

Hello,
    Thank you for looking out for the baby opossums. If you go to this link, below where it says Opossum Care, click on Learn More and you will see pages from a book on how to care for opossums in detail.

https://m.facebook.com/OpossumCare/

I gave them a little pedialyte over the past few hours and got some esibilac to start feeding.
    But I found out they do not suckle and are usually tube fed. I am trying to locate a tube syringe close to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Can you begin rehydrating them?

Thank you for that! I just learned that the only licensed rehabilitation in my state is closing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEyes View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you for looking out for the baby opossums. If you go to this link, below where it says Opossum Care, click on Learn More and you will see pages from a book on how to care for opossums in detail.

https://m.facebook.com/OpossumCare/

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

POVF is not closing. The woman there is being kicked off the land due to some shady stuff. Do not contact them on the POVF FB only contact Joel. https://www.facebook.com/joel.rosent...c_location=ufi

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Do you have a guesstimate of how old these babies are? Once they've reached the stage of clinging to the mother's back, they don't necessarily have to be tube fed. I had six of them last summer and I did not have the equipment or experience to tube feed, so we resorted to the 'lets lick a few drops from the top of the syringe very slowly" method (feeding took forever!), but it worked. They were all several lbs by the time we soft released them. They have extensive dietary requirements and even once they're eating solid food, supplementing with calcium is an absolute must.Without proper nutrition or space, opossum have been known to cannibalize parts of each other (usually the tail).

Hopefully you can already found someone with experience in your area, but if you are still handling these babies (or for future reference), you should do what you would do for any baby. Make sure they are warm and hydrated (opossum actually have a lower body temperature than other mammals, so make sure they can get away from your heating pad or sock buddy if they get overheated) and introduce nutrition slowly. Even though the adults are consummate omnivores, the little ones are still susceptible to the same kinds of digestive issues that we see in baby squirrels when their food is changed too rapidly, not the correct formula, or not given in the right amounts.

Good luck to you, and I hope everything works out!