Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New here!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 9

    Default New here!

    Hi! Iím new here. Lurker for a long time. Not new to squirrels tho. Had one fox male when I was young who wilded up and got very mean so my parents released him. He lived outside in a big pen and only had interaction when I would feed him. He would attack me every time. I now have a female 5 year old Fox Squirrel. She is the sweetest thing. To me at least. Anyone else and she hides unless you give her treats. With me tho she gives kisses and loves her ear rubs and chest rubs and to play. I got her as a tiny baby. She was lying on the ground after a big overnight storm. I thought she was dead because she was ice cold and only took a tiny breath maybe once or twice a minute. I brought her back and sheís been great ever since. Only issues with her are that I recently have had to start trimming her nails and top teeth. Sheís always kept her teeth short till recently. Iíve started her on a diet high in calcium with rodent blocks from Henryís pets just in case that is the issue. Anyways. Didnít want this to get this long. Just wanted to say hi!! once I figure out a way to post a picture of Ivy, I will!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: New here!

    Name:  3001E161-0054-40CB-8DE4-CADC9639B279.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  141.9 KB

    Here is Ivy!!

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to IvyLove from:

    gunpackingrandma (07-24-2019)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,874
    Thanked: 9842

    Default Re: New here!

    IvyLove

    Ivy is beautiful. I just love those orange belly Fox squirrels.

    Along with increasing the calcium make sure you decrease the high phosphorus foods like nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds with their high phosphorus are calcium depleting foods. They can have a nut or two per day as a treat but no more.

    Have you tried giving her a hard inshell nut to help file the teeth? Black walnuts or hickory nuts are especially hard. Of course, I wouldnít overdo that because I believe that excessive chewing on hard nuts damages the root base

    Welcome again. Iím glad you found us.

  5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

    IvyLove (07-24-2019)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: New here!

    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    IvyLove

    Ivy is beautiful. I just love those orange belly Fox squirrels.

    Along with increasing the calcium make sure you decrease the high phosphorus foods like nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds with their high phosphorus are calcium depleting foods. They can have a nut or two per day as a treat but no more.

    Have you tried giving her a hard inshell nut to help file the teeth? Black walnuts or hickory nuts are especially hard. Of course, I wouldnít overdo that because I believe that excessive chewing on hard nuts damages the root base

    Welcome again. Iím glad you found us.
    Yes, the hard shell nuts are the ones she gets most often. They are her favorite. Plus her cage is full of branches and stuff to chew on. She just doesnít seem as interested to chew on things as she used to be. I have started to limit her high phosphorus foods as well.

  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to IvyLove from:

    HRT4SQRLS (07-24-2019)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: New here!

    Ok so I have a quick question. She has had a whole room to herself for a few years now without ever closing the cage doors but I’ve realized she needs more interaction with people and the such. She used to run free in the house I used to live in for most of the day till it was night and I’d put her back up, and she LOVED IT!! I used to have to trick her to go back in her cage at night! but for the last few years she had the back bedroom to herself. Door closed. I wanted to give her the life she used to have. With exploration of the house every day, and a lot more interaction with me and others. So, I moved her into the living room in her cage. She has not left her den for a day and a half now. Won’t eat. Won’t drink (unless she is doing so while we are in bed and the house is quiet. ) I reassure her often. Open the doors of her cage to give her a chance to explore but she won’t come out. Will it just take time? Will she come around and start acting like her old self soon? She used to LOVE exploring the house but has not had run of the whole house for a few years now so I guess she’s just not used to it anymore. I’m thinking she will get used to it again in time but want to make sure. I want her happy and I KNOW she will be happier out here than in the room....eventually. Hopefully. I don’t want to have to lock her away again if I don’t have to. Does anyone know or have experience with this? Is she just scared with the change and will relax soon? I’m just worried. Also I have two dogs BUT she grew up with one of them and used to play together and never had fear of dogs...or even the two cats I used to have so I don’t think that is the problem.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,056
    Thanked: 9976

    Default Re: New here!

    Quote Originally Posted by IvyLove View Post
    Ok so I have a quick question. She has had a whole room to herself for a few years now without ever closing the cage doors but Iíve realized she needs more interaction with people and the such. She used to run free in the house I used to live in for most of the day till it was night and Iíd put her back up, and she LOVED IT!! I used to have to trick her to go back in her cage at night! but for the last few years she had the back bedroom to herself. Door closed. I wanted to give her the life she used to have. With exploration of the house every day, and a lot more interaction with me and others. So, I moved her into the living room in her cage. She has not left her den for a day and a half now. Wonít eat. Wonít drink (unless she is doing so while we are in bed and the house is quiet. ) I reassure her often. Open the doors of her cage to give her a chance to explore but she wonít come out. Will it just take time? Will she come around and start acting like her old self soon? She used to LOVE exploring the house but has not had run of the whole house for a few years now so I guess sheís just not used to it anymore. Iím thinking she will get used to it again in time but want to make sure. I want her happy and I KNOW she will be happier out here than in the room....eventually. Hopefully. I donít want to have to lock her away again if I donít have to. Does anyone know or have experience with this? Is she just scared with the change and will relax soon? Iím just worried. Also I have two dogs BUT she grew up with one of them and used to play together and never had fear of dogs...or even the two cats I used to have so I donít think that is the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

    Think about this... You moved her to new territory, gave her her own space for two years, now you want her to give up her space and familiar surroundings to co-exist (again) in an environment different to what she's grown used to for the past two years with her established "safe zone." A better alternative would have been to keep opening her door to her room to allow her to come out if she wanted to explore and take in the strange environment with having her safe zone to retreat to. She may choose not to and feels content right where she's at or was at....
    Contrary to what many think squirrels are solitary animals and as they age with their natural instincts they define their space and their territory.

    I answered this with my opinion in your other post now I want to address the dogs, big mistake! It's a disaster waiting to happen and we have many horror stories on tsb to back that up! It doesn't matter how friendly the dog is or how they played together, we've heard them all right down to the split second horror that cost the life. Even cages have been turned over with squirrels mauled and killed in the absence of caretakers by "sweet dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly." Her mature instincts may very well be telling her the dogs and "their territory" is a threat and she does not feel safe out there. Personally I don't blame her, I'm a solitary person myself and I wouldn't fare well living among a "commune" either....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: New here!

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

    I answered this with my opinion in your other post now I want to address the dogs, big mistake! It's a disaster waiting to happen and we have many horror stories on tsb to back that up! It doesn't matter how friendly the dog is or how they played together, we've heard them all right down to the split second horror that cost the life. Even cages have been turned over with squirrels mauled and killed in the absence of caretakers by "sweet dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly." Her mature instincts may very well be telling her the dogs and "their territory" is a threat and she does not feel safe out there. Personally I don't blame her, I'm a solitary person myself and I wouldn't fare well living among a "commune" either....
    Fair enough. Iíll give her another day or so and if nothing else changes Iíll put her back in and just open the door. Hopefully she will come around but if not I only want her happy and Iíll do what it takes to do that. Thanks for the reply.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,056
    Thanked: 9976

    Default Re: New here!

    Quote Originally Posted by IvyLove View Post
    Fair enough. Iíll give her another day or so and if nothing else changes Iíll put her back in and just open the door. Hopefully she will come around but if not I only want her happy and Iíll do what it takes to do that. Thanks for the reply.
    Personally I wouldn't give her "another day or so" of not eating and stressing to be happy.
    Please do see your other post with warning about her and your dogs...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: New here!

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Personally I wouldn't give her "another day or so" of not eating and stressing to be happy.
    Please do see your other post with warning about her and your dogs...
    I did see the dog post and will keep it in mind, donít worry. I have a lot to think about but as Iím at work right now till late at night I canít do anything right now. Her cage doors are closed and only one dog gets free run of the house while left alone. The one she grew up with. All she ever did when the played was..play and whine when she was concerned about her. Iím absolutely not worried about this dog but the other is young and hyper and I have to keep a close eye on her. I will keep it in mind, and act accordingly. I have a lot to think about now. More than I thought but wonít be able to do anything till late tonight or tomorrow morning. Thank you again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •