Thread: Help! Throwing up every hour

Jessicarabbiit Guest

Default Help! Throwing up every hour

Hi I have a 4 month old fox squirrel I've had her since she was just a month old. Found her crying for her mom under a car. She seemed fine yesterday playing most of the day but didn't eat much. Maybe a few bites of avacado and a few geraniums. This morning she woke up at 7 and we noticed her acting weird, hunched over. She has thrown up yellow bile it looks like and a tiny speck or two of sweet potato. She threw up again at 8 am, 9:17, 9:44 after drinking some water. She also peed a small amount and had regular poos at this time. At 10:03 she jumped on top of her cage and went to her bed on the other side of the room. After getting to her cat tower she threw up again. At 10:12 she ate a small amount of plum and threw up the plum at 11:33. She's been sleeping since then. She's extremely lethargic and even let me hold her for 10 minutes while she slept this morning. She's not much of a cuddler so this was completely out of character for her.
    She couldn't have gotten into any chemicals. She's a free roamer of our bedroom and I've been at home with her all weekend.
    We're so worried about her. We live in an illegal state (ca) ventura, so the vets won't be an option. She looks so sick and she's weak after puking. It's so horrible watching her sick and her little squeak as she pukes breaks my heart ): I also checked her pupils and they looked a tiny bit dialated but not too extreme. Got some Pedialyte from the store. What else can we do?? She's the love of our life ❤️ this is our first squirrel and we are so in love. We just want her to get better 😓😓

Default Re: Help! Throwing up every hour

From a quick google search, I see geraniums listed as toxic to dogs, causing vomiting and lethargy. In addition, you mentioned avocado. Avocado meat is okay, skin and pit has a toxin called Persin in it.

I would see if you can possibly get some activated charcoal into her - a pet store may have a flavored variety; and I would push fluids like mad. Dn't make her vomit more than she is already but there is a saying - that "the solution to pollution is dilution" and water, pedialyte, etc., will dilute whatever is making her ill.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Diggie's Friend (07-21-2019)

Geraniums are also toxic to rodents (rats) http://ratfanclub.org/plants.html

https://wagwalking.com/condition/sce...nium-poisoning

Medications Atropine will be administered through the IV for cardiac symptoms, H2 blockers or antacid to ease intestinal upset, a steroid injection for pain and inflammation, and possibly an antibiotic for infection.
    Using powdered activated charcoal (from powder in capsules), that is not the same as in charcoal briquettes, to make a mixture of pedialyte and water, as recommended on this veterinary webpage. You may want to try the fruit flavored pedialyte to see if she will take the mixture on her own. If not you will need to do so using a non-needle feeding syringe slowly, being very careful not to aim at her tongue right behind her incisors at about a 15 degree angle, with the tip just inside her lip, onto her tongue, not straight down here throat, as to avoid her aspirating the mixture.

The toxins in geraniums are noted to effect the rhythm of the heart; read through the info. A vet intervention is recommended. I'm not terribly far from you; send me a PM as I know of a vet that helped me out some years back that may be able to help your squirrel too. I have to call them to see if this vet that treats exotics will be available tomorrow. There is an emergency number I can share with you if you want it.

Diggie's Friend

Use Calcium carbonate for the tummy upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Use Calcium carbonate for the tummy upset.
    Tums...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

How is your squirrel doing today; is there any improvement?

Is she still vomiting? Is she breathing faster than normal?

I sent you PMs. DF

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.