Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd behavior in male adult squirrel

Default Re: Odd behavior in male adult squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    Wonderful to see him improving!
    I answered your question inTiger's thread on how I got him to take and like the calcium.
    Yeah, i saw the reply. Ordered my calcium from Henrys, got some decent honey on my shopping list.
    Thank you again

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Hilbillygirl from:

lukaslolamaus (07-24-2019)

I saw that Ensure the other day and wondered if it would work. It will be good for a change. Thats the rut I got into with him. I fed him what he liked like Avocado, sweet potatoes & apples mostly, and pecans & walnuts. I have tried many things, sorry me of which he will like one day and refuse the next. Thats why I started buying the veggie & nut mix and mixing them with a jar of baby food as per instructions and dehydrating them until they were like crunchy cookies. He loved them but ive only been using them for about 4 months so the mbd was well on its way to destroying him by that time. I even bought a dehydrator so i could make him healthy food.
    Im really looking for someone in the Fort Worth Texas area who could help me in taking rehab courses so I can get a permit for him and get him a vet who can legally treat him here. If anyone knows of someone please forward contact information...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Hopefully he will like the Henry's food. A lot of folks have gotten their squirrels over this issue with short term feeding of Ensure - the food replacement shakes for people. They even have butter pecan flavor, though any of them will help because they are really nutrient and calorie dense - you get a lot from a small amount. Try warming it up a bit - like formula.
    This morning my boy was actually hungry. He ate well and I put a baby carrot and a slice of sweet potato in his cage and Praise God I just caught him nibbling on a slice of sweet potato!
    What an awesome sign...Im waiting for arrival of my Henrys Picky blocks. Unfortunately I didnt put the Healthy blocks in the freezer and they got moldy and had to be thrown away. I wont do that any more.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Hilbillygirl:

lukaslolamaus (07-25-2019), stepnstone (07-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilbillygirl View Post
    This morning my boy was actually hungry. He ate well and I put a baby carrot and a slice of sweet potato in his cage and Praise God I just caught him nibbling on a slice of sweet potato!
    What an awesome sign...Im waiting for arrival of my Henrys Picky blocks. Unfortunately I didnt put the Healthy blocks in the freezer and they got moldy and had to be thrown away. I wont do that any more.
    After lunch i noticed his poops are starting to get lighter in color. So im wondering if i should just not give him any calcium for tge rest of the day or just adjust the amount and continue...suggestions?

Are you giving him 500 mg per day? I would drop by 100mg to 400 and give that for the next few days, then down to 300. Hold there until he is eating his Henry's food well - we don't want any relapses.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

lukaslolamaus (07-25-2019), Milo's Mom (07-25-2019), stepnstone (07-25-2019)

Are you giving him 500 mg per day? I would drop by 100mg to 400 and give that for the next few days, then down to 300. Hold there until he is eating his Henry's food well - we don't want any relapses.
    How do you measure that out?

First, how much calcium are you giving him? Are you using Tums? If so, turn the bottle around and read the back - I need to know how much elemental calcium is in each tablet and how many you are feeding per day.

How do you measure that out?
    I figured it out. Is it ok to give that all at once or should I spread it out.

First, how much calcium are you giving him? Are you using Tums? If so, turn the bottle around and read the back - I need to know how much elemental calcium is in each tablet and how many you are feeding per day.
    Yes tums 750 xtra which has 300 mg elemental calcium per tablet. The first couple days i gave him a bit more because the emergency protocol said didnt matter as to type or how much, it was more important to get the calcium in him quickly. Starting the third day i began giving 1 & 1/2 to 2 tablets divided into 3 feedings.

I got the powdered elemental calcium from Henrys today gave him 400 mg

Always spread the calcium out - you don't need to go nuts, but 3 times a day would be good. Also, I should have said approximately 400mg - a little more or less is not going to be an issue it isn't like dosing antibiotics.

Should this boy be getting an appetite by now? He just nibbles but not much substantially. He nibbles on picky block and on sweet potato. I gave him some baby cereal this afternoon becausebim afraid hes not eating enough...Am i rushing it?

His appetite should pick up as he starts to feel better.
    Just stay strict with the diet.
    Does he seem to be feeling better?

The fact that he is at least trying to eat tells me he does feel better but he still does a lot of laying around. I was able to get 3 syringes of Boost down him this afternoon, so maybe he just needs more time. He gets very active when I start feeding or give him the calcium. I wrap him up like a burrito but he still manages to kick my hand away with his front feet. Someone told me “ it took a long time for him to get this way ( evidently 3 years) its going to take a while for recovery”. Im OK with that. Im here forever. Thats the commitment I made to him. I am just frustrated I cant get him to a vet. I was told male squirrels tend to get testicular cancer and I should think about getting him neutered. I cant even do that...I love him so very much, And want to see him healthy & happy.

I dont know where to post without replying...sorry. Just want to let you know Squeebles is doing well. He loves the Boost. I give it to him when i give him the calcium. He is still nibbling on sweet potato, apple and a bit of his picky block. He still does a lot of laying around, not necessarily sleeping just resting. Every day he is still helping me help him is a blessing. I prolly wont post every day just once in a while. Im still open to any suggestions to get him feeling better and eating. I know its going to take time. I have one of those big balls that you put ginea pigs in to roll around. When he feels better i will prolly try to let him get some exercise in that. His poops were getting white with 400 mg of calcium so i dropped him to 360 mg.

I dont know where to post without replying...sorry. Just want to let you know Squeebles is doing well. He loves the Boost. I give it to him when i give him the calcium. He is still nibbling on sweet potato, apple and a bit of his picky block. He still does a lot of laying around, not necessarily sleeping just resting. Every day he is still helping me help him is a blessing. I prolly wont post every day just once in a while. Im still open to any suggestions to get him feeling better and eating. I know its going to take time. I have one of those big balls that you put ginea pigs in to roll around. When he feels better i will prolly try to let him get some exercise in that. His poops were getting white with 400 mg of calcium so i dropped him to 360 mg.
    Today was a great day! It was making me sad to keep him stuck in a room by himself so I brought him out with me in the living room. In the afternoon he ate 1/4 of an avocado, munched on some kale & nibbled on a mushroom. The best was the avocado. Every time I would go get a piece and as I was walking to him he pulled himself up to his hind feet in excitement for his favorite food. He used to do that every morning when I brought him his breakfast before he got sick. He slept a lot less out with me and walked and wiggled about. Im hoping things are turning around for him. Im so grateful for answered prayers.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Hilbillygirl from:

island rehabber (08-03-2019)

That is such great news. You’ve done a great job. The way you are replying with a quote is fine. If you want to post without a quote, instead of hitting Reply with Quote at the bottom, hit the Reply to Thread at the top left of the last post. Either way is fine.

It does take a long time to reverse MBD. It’s a gradual process with ongoing improvement. You can reverse the Metabolic symptoms pretty fast but rebuilding the bones is the part that takes time.

Most people do not get males neutered. I’m sure that testicular cancer is possible in squirrels but to be honest with you I might have seen only ONE case in the years I have been on this board. I don’t think it’s common so I wouldn’t consider it.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Yes to bringing him out so he can be with you! Just remember that his little body needs to rest so the calories he is taking in are being used to mend, not to fuel him running around. He is hard-wired to try to look in better shape than he feels so he doesn't get picked off by a predator, so bear that in mind when assessing how he is doing. Stress hanging out with mama WHILE relaxing!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

You've gotten expertly great advice here, Hillbillygirl -- all I can say is keep up the good work! Your boy WILL turn around if you stick with the diet and can live a long, healthy life. We've seen it happen here many times.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    That is such great news. You’ve done a great job. The way you are replying with a quote is fine. If you want to post without a quote, instead of hitting Reply with Quote at the bottom, hit the Reply to Thread at the top left of the last post. Either way is fine.

It does take a long time to reverse MBD. It’s a gradual process with ongoing improvement. You can reverse the Metabolic symptoms pretty fast but rebuilding the bones is the part that takes time.

Most people do not get males neutered. I’m sure that testicular cancer is possible in squirrels but to be honest with you I might have seen only ONE case in the years I have been on this board. I don’t think it’s common so I wouldn’t consider it.
    Just wanted to let yall know that my boy is improving every day. I cant give him enough picky blocks. He loves those things! I limit it to 3 and give him apple, avocado & sweet potato. He still pulls his back end around when he moves about the cage but he is beginning to try to climb up the sides of his cage. Hes excited every time i go to the kitchen... and is awake most of the time. I have a harness & leash for him that im going to start letting him try to walk about the house when I think he can handle it. I couldnt be prouder of him. He takes his calcium without a fuss twice a day. He seems to know im trying to help. Will post when he begins to walk again, God willing. If not we will deal with it.

Glad to hear that. Be careful with the climbing. You don’t want him to fall. He could break a bone as the bones are brittle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast