Thread: Release

Default Release

The last day of a four week soft release was today for our little girl. So, I opened her small 4x4” door. She got up the nerve to come out and finally she went up the tree. I think I remember reading to shut her back in at night. However, she did not come back. Should I be concerned about that? Also do I continue putting her food out?

Than you to everyone here! She was our first and I couldn’t have gotten her this far without the information found in these forums.

Default Re: Release

Quote Originally Posted by JFo View Post
    The last day of a four week soft release was today for our little girl. So, I opened her small 4x4” door. She got up the nerve to come out and finally she went up the tree. I think I remember reading to shut her back in at night. However, she did not come back. Should I be concerned about that? Also do I continue putting her food out?

Than you to everyone here! She was our first and I couldn’t have gotten her this far without the information found in these forums.
    No, you shouldn’t be concerned. It is common for them to not return. It worries us to death but they are fine and chose to stay out. Yes, I would put out food out tomorrow. They usually do return. It varies from one to the next when/if that will happen.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

gunpackingrandma (07-21-2019), island rehabber (07-19-2019), JFo (07-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    No, you shouldn’t be concerned. It is common for them to not return. It worries us to death but they are fine and chose to stay out. Yes, I would put out food out tomorrow. They usually do return. It varies from one to the next when/if that will happen.
    She is loving every minute of her freedom! She may come back to visit, or she may watch you from far up in her new, leafy world. Either way, you did a wonderful job because she's living the life she was meant for.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

gunpackingrandma (07-21-2019), JFo (07-19-2019), stepnstone (07-19-2019)

Congrats! I just released my first squirrels and I have been in panic mode every day wondering how they are. This forum has been a real amazing place for me with all the concerns I have had. Everyone is so reassuring. So with that said, I bet you she is doing great and watching you from afar. I also bet she will come visit every now and then.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelGirl31:

gunpackingrandma (07-21-2019), JFo (07-19-2019), stepnstone (07-19-2019)

I saw her this morning. Also found that she’s still using her bed because she’s taking new stuff in there. She looks like she’s lost some weight though. I’m so happy that I’ve seen her and she’s doing okay. *happy tears*

Awesome. I'm glad she returned. It's such a relief when we see our squirrel kids safe in the yard.

The weight loss is normal. They lose that baby fat and become sleek, leaping machines. They need that in the trees.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

JFo (07-27-2019)

Unhappy Re: Release

Thank you for the reassurance with the weight loss.

Zero doubt it’s her bc she climbed up my leg twice looking for blocks. Can’t say I’m real fond of that bc I don’t know if that means she’s too comfortable with humans. And I haven’t let her touch my hands since she attacked me. I did want to post a picture as she seems so much thinner than she was when she was released. I know I’ve already received replies about her weight. But if you’ve read any of my other posts you know reassurance concerning her is always appreciated. Name:  32CB3C01-E2D7-4EA7-9C1C-9C4491A82011.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  136.2 KBName:  566132EB-6D8E-4123-9630-F390D603DBCE.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  65.7 KB

Most likely she is somewhat comfortable with you... but not other humans. They can identify you from other humans. Also your location determines a lot.
    I have dozens of releases in my woods.. and they will come up to my porch and take walnuts from my hand. Some sneak up the railing behind me and steal walnuts right out of the bucket.
    But if I step off the porch they all start moving away. And if I walk into the yard they run up the trees and watch me. These are all squirrels who I handled and who played on me for months, and yet they get leery if I step off the porch. And none of them actually jump on me anymore.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Diggie's Friend (08-07-2019), JFo (08-06-2019)

JFo She looks just fine. And I worried the same thing about Rocky when I released him. In just a few days he really slimmed down. Looking back at the videos of the day I released him, he was actually a little overweight.

All that running and climbing burns the fat off and makes them lean, mean climbing machines! And Rocky still climbs on me and lets me give him back rubs but in every other way is a total squirrel.

Congratulations!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

JFo (08-07-2019)

Thank you for letting me know her weight is normal. I spent so much time weighing her when she was in with us that I’m never sure. She came in the garage this morning and she’s here now. She just sits on my knee and chills for a while. This has been one of the most rewarding journeys ever.