Thread: 5 weeks old squirrel found

eikelmuis Guest

Default 5 weeks old squirrel found

I found a probably 5 weeks old squirrel in the middle of the road. I gave it water and it recovered rather fast. It is now in a plastic container. It's about 25° Celsius here. What food shall I give it? Can I give catmilk? (lactose-free)? Can I give it pinda's, walnuts ? Thanks for advice.

Default Re: 5 weeks old squirrel found

No, actually you want to give it puppy formula, not kitten. In the US the one we use is made by a huge company and you may even have it. It is called Esbilac. Call around and see what you can find. A powdered version is best if you can locate.

A temporary formula can be made from goats milk, full fat yogurt and then a little bit later, heavy cow's cream. But the puppy formula will be your ticket.

Go here: https://www.henryspets.com/

In the top turquoise banner on the page is "Baby Squirrel Care" and a click will find 6 topics. Start at the first and read all the way through - it is the best thing written on this subject that I can find - also nicely condensed.

Adult food will be a rat diet "pellet" of some kind. Not the mix with dried corn and sunflower seeds - the stuff you need is manufactured into little rods the size of the first joint of your finger - like giant rabbit pellets. Mazuri, Envigo are a few US brands - again, you will need to do some hunting. It is important that it be rat food and not guinea pig or any other rodent.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.