Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg Problem

Default Re: Leg Problem

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    She mentioned that she was moving away in a month?
    I missed the moving, I get it...
    Hopefully they go to the trees soon, nest boxes would be a good idea if possible especially
    if they stay to the area come winter.
    Can't do it here, that's why I have six in my yard but they would have to go when I do.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (07-19-2019), TubeDriver (07-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I missed the moving, I get it...
    Hopefully they go to the trees soon, nest boxes would be a good idea if possible especially
    if they stay to the area come winter.
    Can't do it here, that's why I have six in my yard but they would have to go when I do.
    I do have a nesting box, sadly it’s one that my father in law made for me but he said he can make me another one. We are going to hang it up this weekend.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelGirl31:

Nancy in New York (07-20-2019), stepnstone (07-20-2019), TubeDriver (07-20-2019)

Put a fleece that your little have used in the box so it has their scent on it. That might help them claim the nest box.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl31 View Post
    I do have a nesting box, sadly it’s one that my father in law made for me but he said he can make me another one. We are going to hang it up this weekend.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Personally, I don't see the necessity of blocking or taking down their first built nest.
    They are going to be more open in the trees when they build there then they are between
    layers as they have done now. To them they are free outside the cage and that's likely
    what they are feeling. Free life is a new experience and they are learning to do their own
    thing, we all crawl before we walk. Unless it was life threatening I wouldn't deprive them
    of their own learning experiences.

I'm glad little boy is feeling better, would you be able to take a video of him moving with
    the foot in question so we may see what you are seeing? Are you able to examine it to
    determine if there is any questionable area of concern?

I took a couple videos but I am not seeing a way to upload them. Is there another way I can share it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I took a couple videos but I am not seeing a way to upload them. Is there another way I can share it?
    This is the pic I meant to attach to the last post.
    I hadn’t noticed this spot before until last night. This is on his left side.
    Watching him move around he seems like he is improving a little. He still has trouble jumping. Although, he loves hopping in circles while he is playing. I have a video of that too.

Name:  DE91C97F-2CC7-4C3F-BA19-7C24B6BF4810.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  147.2 KB

You need to upload the video to a site like YouTube or something and then include the link on TSB. TSB does not have the ability to host the videos / upload them directly.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SquirrelGirl31 (07-21-2019)

Okay I think I got the video thing figured out!

Let me know what you all think. 1st one is the best I could get of him walking. The second was him playing and hopping in circles.

https://www.facebook.com/krystal.wil...7084181769197/
    https://www.facebook.com/krystal.wil...7084215530041/

Personally, I don't see the necessity of blocking or taking down their first built nest.
    They are going to be more open in the trees when they build there then they are between
    layers as they have done now. To them they are free outside the cage and that's likely
    what they are feeling. Free life is a new experience and they are learning to do their own
    thing, we all crawl before we walk. Unless it was life threatening I wouldn't deprive them
    of their own learning experiences.

I'm glad little boy is feeling better, would you be able to take a video of him moving with
    the foot in question so we may see what you are seeing? Are you able to examine it to
    determine if there is any questionable area of concern?
    I linked videos from facebook but I don't think they worked so here is YouTube links.

https://youtu.be/MMCdD5iFMOYhttps://youtu.be/cWaqZ5vem5Y

It's hard to explain the bald spot as I see no injury or swelling there, obviously something caused it.
    He appears to be moving well in the videos. If it's a matter of him building strength considering what
    his diet has been /or was, I'd increase his calcium intake.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SquirrelGirl31 (07-23-2019)

It's hard to explain the bald spot as I see no injury or swelling there, obviously something caused it.
    He appears to be moving well in the videos. If it's a matter of him building strength considering what
    his diet has been /or was, I'd increase his calcium intake.
    I completely changed his diet about a week ago and increased his calcium intake. I bought one of the suggested bags of food. I also have been trying to give him a couple items from the nutrient list from the document I found on here that has been super helpful!
    He definitely has more energy and wants out but he needs more strength.
    Do you think I need to do that emergency MBD procedure at this point or just keep his diet going the way I am now?

I completely changed his diet about a week ago and increased his calcium intake. I bought one of the suggested bags of food. I also have been trying to give him a couple items from the nutrient list from the document I found on here that has been super helpful!
    He definitely has more energy and wants out but he needs more strength.
    Do you think I need to do that emergency MBD procedure at this point or just keep his diet going the way I am now?
    What have you been doing to increase his calcium intake?
    If he were in my care he would have been on the protocol, it takes time to replenish depleted
    calcium levels and I'm still not convinced it hasn't been his problem.

I will also add the next time someone hands you a "baggie" of formula regardless of what they say
    it is, throw it out and purchase the correct formula so you'll know exactly what you are feeding.
    All Esbilacs are not created equal and Esbilac formula should be kept refrigerated once opened.
    Many facilities receive their formulas in a drum and pull from there, not only does one not know how
    old it is, I've not known one facility that keeps their drum in cold storage.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

What have you been doing to increase his calcium intake?
    If he were in my care he would have been on the protocol, it takes time to replenish depleted
    calcium levels and I'm still not convinced it hasn't been his problem.

I will also add the next time someone hands you a "baggie" of formula regardless of what they say
    it is, throw it out and purchase the correct formula so you'll know exactly what you are feeding.
    All Esbilacs are not created equal and Esbilac formula should be kept refrigerated once opened.
    Many facilities receive their formulas in a drum and pull from there, not only does one not know how
    old it is, I've not known one facility that keeps their drum in cold storage.
    I have him on one of those recommended rodent blocks now. I’ve eliminated all seeds.
    I’ve been giving him only veggies and items from the list on this forum in the “good” section. The ones that have the best level of calcium vs phosphorus.
    I’ve been slipping him little things like egg shells, cuttle bones, dandelion greens.
    I’m following the picky eater sticky from here and not giving in because I’m afraid he won’t eat.

Yeah, I honestly didn’t know any better when I joined the rehab place here. I just figured they knew what they were doing so I didn’t question them. I did keep my formula in the fridge but I’m not sure where it was before then.

I started out completely new to any wildlife care so everything is new to me. I’m just disappointed that I feel like I was lead in the wrong direction and ignored some things that raised flags in my head. I again just figured they knew better than me.

He seems to be going downhill today. He is going back to not moving very much.
    I’m panicking but planning on trying to start the mbd emergency procedure as soon as my husband gets home to help.
    Any advise to help me through the process??
    I’m so worried about him.

Wanted to let you all know that the little guy had a big break through and is 100% back to himself!

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelGirl31 from:

stepnstone (07-28-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12