Thread: Ember Came Home Is She Okay. help.

Default Ember Came Home Is She Okay. help.

In September 2016 I found Ember as a baby rescued raised and nursed her back to health. I plan to keep her forever but in December 2018 she started to wild up and was attacking me and was miserable. I released her in March 2019 and she visited every day up until two weeks ago. Before she didn’t come back I noticed her vagina was a little swollen so I had to wonder maybe she got pregnant it was up in a nest. Today I saw her and immediately brought her inside. Her nose is messed up and scabbing and a piece is falling off, her tail has chunks of hair missing, she’s really skinny, her vagina is swollen and bloody, and she’s got some bumps on her eyes and ears.
    Do you guys think she might be pregnant?
    She seems different now, sad and depressed but I’m keeping her inside at least until she’s healed up and fattened up. I’m scared to release her again because I don’t think she has the skills to survive since I released her late.
    She also has small bugs crawling on her. Is there anything I can use to spray her and dry her with that won’t harm her or the babies if she is pregnant?
    She won’t let me bathe her but she lets me hold her. She’s eating. I have rodent blocks (Henry’s) and veggies fruits and nuts. She ate some (of course all the nuts and most the blocks)
    I just want her to be happy and healthy. I am so glad she is alive I thought I had lost her for good.
    Any tips for a situation like this?
    She seems really grateful that I brought her inside. After I had put her in her old room with blankets and such I saw three other squirrels in my backyard. I’m not sure if one of them or all mated with her and are looking for her or what. I have taken a picture of her private’s. And her face. I will attach them. I don’t have a picture of the bugs they’re small and the same bugs I found on her when she was a baby but I used flea and tick and I later found out that wasn’t good so I wanted a better option. Name:  2355615D-5349-4502-A969-DE6CCEBB5009.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  86.1 KBName:  909BDB8F-32D1-442D-B9A5-833AC61BB95D.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  96.0 KBName:  52F45DDC-5E58-4597-B196-4930DCE3E2C4.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  107.6 KB

Default Re: Ember Came Home Is She Okay. help.

Poor little girl
    Hopefully she'll feel a little bit better in the morning.
    Do you have vet access if needed?
    Puppy/kitten revolution is the recommended treatment for fleas, ticks and other parasites, but I can't remember if it is safe if Ember is expecting.
    Here is a recent thread on how to dose the revolution, but definitely hold off until someone confirms if safe if pregnant.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ten-revolution

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

tori_theanimallover (07-12-2019)

Sounds like she was the chosen one in a mating chase and those other squirrels around were probably her suitors. Both males and females get beat up during this process unfortunately. If this is the case you have 40 days until her babies arrive... plenty of time to get her all healthy again.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

tori_theanimallover (07-12-2019), TubeDriver (07-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    Poor little girl
    Hopefully she'll feel a little bit better in the morning.
    Do you have vet access if needed?
    Puppy/kitten revolution is the recommended treatment for fleas, ticks and other parasites, but I can't remember if it is safe if Ember is expecting.
    Here is a recent thread on how to dose the revolution, but definitely hold off until someone confirms if safe if pregnant.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ten-revolution
    No vet. I’m going to use dawn first before anything else to see if that works

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Sounds like she was the chosen one in a mating chase and those other squirrels around were probably her suitors. Both males and females get beat up during this process unfortunately. If this is the case you have 40 days until her babies arrive... plenty of time to get her all healthy again.
    Poor girl I just hope to get her healthy again especially if she’s preggers. Any recommendations on foods or supplements to help her now if she is? When would I be able to tell?

High calcium foods are always important, but even more so with a pregnant mamma. You may want to add Henry's Healthy Blocks to her diet....the Adult or Picky formula, or the Hazelnut blocks if she won't take the other two. These provide all the vitamins and minerals she needs per day, so you don't have to worry as much about the other foods she's eating.

www.henryspets.com
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

tori_theanimallover (07-14-2019)

High calcium foods are always important, but even more so with a pregnant mamma. You may want to add Henry's Healthy Blocks to her diet....the Adult or Picky formula, or the Hazelnut blocks if she won't take the other two. These provide all the vitamins and minerals she needs per day, so you don't have to worry as much about the other foods she's eating.

www.henryspets.com
    Okay thanks! Already have her on Henry’s. She still seems very tired and her vagina keeps throbbing. Her breathing isn’t labored but it isn’t completely normal. It’s like fast I guess. She’s eating and drinking water and likes to be held.

Do you have a predator proof outdoor release cage? A cage that contains a nest box? If so, I would probably try to redo the soft release process. Keep her inside for a couple weeks so she can rest, build up her strength, put on some weight. Then place her in the outdoor release cage for 1-2 weeks. You can then open the portal and that will allow her to stay there to have her babies or it can be a safe base for her as she builds a drey in a nearby tree for herself and her babies.

I have a squirrel that I released about 1.5 years ago. She has given birth a few times and generally seems to be doing alright. Well, this week I found that she had moved back into the open portal release cage and her old nest box. She might be pregnant again but at least I can give her some food and fresh water regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post
    Okay thanks! Already have her on Henry’s. She still seems very tired and her vagina keeps throbbing. Her breathing isn’t labored but it isn’t completely normal. It’s like fast I guess. She’s eating and drinking water and likes to be held.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

gunpackingrandma (07-15-2019), tori_theanimallover (07-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Do you have a predator proof outdoor release cage? A cage that contains a nest box? If so, I would probably try to redo the soft release process. Keep her inside for a couple weeks so she can rest, build up her strength, put on some weight. Then place her in the outdoor release cage for 1-2 weeks. You can then open the portal and that will allow her to stay there to have her babies or it can be a safe base for her as she builds a drey in a nearby tree for herself and her babies.

I have a squirrel that I released about 1.5 years ago. She has given birth a few times and generally seems to be doing alright. Well, this week I found that she had moved back into the open portal release cage and her old nest box. She might be pregnant again but at least I can give her some food and fresh water regularly.
    Okay thank you. Her mucus plug just came out. Is that bad??? Her private is still throbbing

Also why does she keep peeing on me

The plug coming out means she definitely did The Deed. Her peeing on you could be over excitement, or that she is marking you as HERS.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

tori_theanimallover (07-15-2019)

The plug coming out means she definitely did The Deed. Her peeing on you could be over excitement, or that she is marking you as HERS.
    Okay does this mean she’s going to go into preterm labor or no. And haha I think she’s marking me as hers