Thread: Please help - my pet juvenile squirrel fell.

Default Please help - my pet juvenile squirrel fell.

I am new to the board and would appreciate any help you might have. My juvenille squirrel fell on his head and seize afterwards for a few seconds. He made it through the night but is shaking his head when he eats and I am afraid he is in pain. Is there any advise on what I can do for him. His name is Pinecone and we love him dearly.

Default Re: Please help - my pet juvenile squirrel fell.

Do you have access to a vet? I’m not sure if it’s legal or illegal to have a squirrel where you live. If a vet is out of the question, can you get your hands on some prednisone and metacam (Mobic)? If he seizes again put a drop of molasses or honey on his gums. It will help raise his blood sugar which can be the trigger for a seizure.

Can you take a picture or video and post it?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Donitar (07-11-2019)

When you say juvenile, how old is he? Prednisone helps with head traumas and works best when it’s started soon after the injury. Someone on here will be able to help you dose it if you can post the strength of the medicine and the weight of your baby. The prednisone can be for humans or animals, it can be broken down to use for your little guy.

Also, what type of squirrel is he? I see you live in NM.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Also, what type of squirrel is he? I see you live in NM.
    Hi, thank you for your response. He is a 3 month old grey squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Donitar View Post
    I am new to the board and would appreciate any help you might have. My juvenille squirrel fell on his head and seize afterwards for a few seconds. He made it through the night but is shaking his head when he eats and I am afraid he is in pain. Is there any advise on what I can do for him. His name is Pinecone and we love him dearly.
    [QUOTE=Mel1959;1296230]Do you have access to a vet? I’m not sure if it’s legal or illegal to have a squirrel where you live. If a vet is out of the question, can you get your hands on some prednisone and metacam (Mobic)? If he seizes again put a drop of molasses or honey on his gums. It will help raise his blood sugar which can be the trigger for a seizure.er

Can you take a picture or video and post it?[/QU
    I have called several vets but none will treat him. We also do not have any rehabers in my area. I am on my way to get some prednisone. I will try and post a video when I get home. He was doing better without any more seizures so far. I will also try and weigh him.Thanks for your help.

Thank you for your responses. I have 5mg people prednisone but am not home yet to try and weigh him. I will reply again after I do that. He seems a little slow but is eating and playing. I am still worried that he is in pain but he is not crying or chattering and still wants to be held. Thank you again.

Donitar, I wanted to rule out other causes for the seizure. Of course, a head injury could cause seizures but the diet can also cause seizures. What is the baby eating? Which formula was the baby on? When did he wean? How many nuts does he eat?

As odd as it sounds sometimes even falls can be associated with the diet. We need to assess the diet before prednisone is used. Please give us a detailed description of the diet. Thank you!

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Donitar (07-11-2019), gunpackingrandma (07-14-2019), Spanky (07-11-2019), TubeDriver (07-12-2019)

Good evening - we are feeding kale, a hazel nut and scalded milk w/yogurt and vitamin E for breakfast. Fruit (Apple/peeled grapes), pecans or pistacho nuts without the shell for lunch along with the scalded milk w/yogurt for lunch and nuts, milk and kale at night. In between he has a deer antler to chew on. He has not had any signs of a seizure before and is growing well and seemed happy.

I am sorry, I didn't answer one question, he eats about 6 to 10 nuts a day of various kinds. Hazel nuts, pecans, a few sunflower seeds but not many and shelled pistachios (the white ones, not the dyed ones). We don't give him peanuts. We are in the process of weening him but right now he gets solid food along with the milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Donitar View Post
    Good evening - we are feeding kale, a hazel nut and scalded milk w/yogurt and vitamin E for breakfast. Fruit (Apple/peeled grapes), pecans or pistacho nuts without the shell for lunch along with the scalded milk w/yogurt for lunch and nuts, milk and kale at night. In between he has a deer antler to chew on. He has not had any signs of a seizure before and is growing well and seemed happy.

This is most likely the problem. If this squirrel was raised on scalded milk his bones and nervous system may already be compromised, hence the fall. He needs to be put on the emergency MBD protocol diet ASAP, with nuts removed completely from his diet for the time being. He is not going to like it, but you must use tough love. He needs more plant matter, i.e. dark green leafy vegetables as well as high-calcium veggies and fruits like papaya. The kale is the only good thing in his diet right now, to be honest, and he should not have that every day because of its high oxylates.

The "scalded milk diet" has been killing baby squirrels for over a decade. Please, please do not continue it.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

gunpackingrandma (07-14-2019), HRT4SQRLS (07-11-2019), Mel1959 (07-12-2019), Spanky (07-12-2019)

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

gunpackingrandma (07-14-2019), HRT4SQRLS (07-11-2019), stepnstone (07-11-2019), TubeDriver (07-12-2019)

Donitar, the fall was likely due to Metabolic Bone Disease. Seizures and hind end paralysis are symptoms of MBD. Of course, there could also be seizures due to neurological injuries from the fall so there might be two issues. I have no doubt that your baby is calcium deficient. Nuts are extremely unhealthy and should be limited. I don’t give babies nuts until approaching release. Captive/Pet squirrels can only have 1-2 nuts per day as a treat.

I agree 100% with island rehabber. Start the MBD protocol ASAP.

Link to the healthy diet for pet squirrels.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

18. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

gunpackingrandma (07-14-2019), island rehabber (07-11-2019), Mel1959 (07-12-2019), Spanky (07-12-2019), stepnstone (07-11-2019), TubeDriver (07-12-2019)