Thread: Can I use this product on my Squirrel?

Default Can I use this product on my Squirrel?

I released my "overwintered two years" squirrel a week ago. After not seeing her for several days she came back to her release cage. She was a little ragged looking, seemed tired and appeared weak as she climbed a branch into her nest box. She let me hold her and while I found no obvious injuries she was loaded with ticks! She laid in my hand and let me groom her (picked off ticks) and even purred afterward. I couldn't get a hold of any Revolution quickly (so I could let her back out) and wonder if this product would be safe. It says for small animals like hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, guinea pugs and mice. Active ingredients are pyrethrins .06% pyperonyl butoxide, technical .60%, other ingredients 99.34%
    Anything else safe enough to repel ticks? Alternatively I could keep her (happily) in the release cage and fatten her up until I could order some Revolution. Btw, she's lost 104g in 8 days. She was 800g on release day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Can I use this product on my Squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlsMom View Post
    I released my "overwintered two years" squirrel a week ago. After not seeing her for several days she came back to her release cage. She was a little ragged looking, seemed tired and appeared weak as she climbed a branch into her nest box. She let me hold her and while I found no obvious injuries she was loaded with ticks! She laid in my hand and let me groom her (picked off ticks) and even purred afterward. I couldn't get a hold of any Revolution quickly (so I could let her back out) and wonder if this product would be safe. It says for small animals like hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, guinea pugs and mice. Active ingredients are pyrethrins .06% pyperonyl butoxide, technical .60%, other ingredients 99.34%
    Anything else safe enough to repel ticks? Alternatively I could keep her (happily) in the release cage and fatten her up until I could order some Revolution. Btw, she's lost 104g in 8 days. She was 800g on release day.
    Personally I wouldn't use any flea and tick spray sold by Walmart, Hartz has a terrible reputation and yet they still sell it.
    On that note I wouldn't trust any of the like products that they sell.
    On another note....
    This from a purchaser of the product you speak of....

I bought "Ultra Care" Flea and tick spray @ ferret depot,thinking of course its a ferret sales site it would be ok/ I looked on the bottle and it says Controls Fleas and Ticks on Hamsters,Gerbils,Rabbits,Guinea pigs and Mice. I thought it should be ok cuz ppl use it on mice,BUT i thought of something those are "rodents" and ferrets aren't. I called 8in1 (800-645-5154) the company who makes this product and she said don't use it on Ferrets.I said can it be put on the label somewhere "not safe" for ferrets.She said yeah they can add it IF,get this..IF enough ppl call asking us to..I said all that to let you know if you have this product do not use it on your babies..If you want to call to have it not ferret safe on the label its product E317/041-0335-07

Can you imagine, sold at a ferret supply but don't use on ferrets...
    Wonder what other species it's not safe for?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

EarlsMom (07-09-2019), Grinderhead (07-09-2019)

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Thank you Stepnstone and Tubedriver for replying. I'll take your advice and not use it. I will order some revolution and keep the squirrel in the release cage another day or so. She needs to recoup some weight anyway.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to EarlsMom from:

stepnstone (07-09-2019)