Thread: Eye irritation or infection

Default Eye irritation or infection

Hello I have a gray squirrel had him since he was a baby is approximately eight years old I've noticed some Eye irritation I'm not sure if it's infected I caught it quite early seeing how I play with him daily wondering if there's any remedies any medicine that I can put on it to help him any input would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: I irritation or infection

Can you get his mouth open and take a look at the bottom teeth? They can grow too long and begin to pierce the upper palate right behind the top front teeth, This is what you want to look at. Many, many "eye" issues turn out to be caused by teeth.

Default Re: I irritation or infection

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Can you get his mouth open and take a look at the bottom teeth? They can grow too long and begin to pierce the upper palate right behind the top front teeth, This is what you want to look at. Many, many "eye" issues turn out to be caused by teeth.
    OK so I got his mouth open which I have to tell you was not an easy task Lol I do keep his bottom teeth trimmed I see no evidence of them hitting the roof of his mouth no redness no puncture wounds nothing in the sort I do have to tell you last year maybe a little bit longer he did lose his upper teeth I know there is some sort is his disease that makes their teeth grow backwards but it's been over year since he Lost them so I'm thinking that this is not the problem but then again I'm not a vet no signs of redness no signs of infection where the upper teeth were no signs that it even bothers him the eye is a little watery I'm just trying to prevent and infection before it' sets in seems to be a little watery and a little bit itchy for him any other input would be greatly appreciated I thank you for your help

Default Re: Eye irritation or infection

The condition you’re referring to is odontoma. It is a progressive condition where bony dental material grows at the base of the tooth. It forms a larger and larger bony mass that can invade the sinuses. Have you noticed any vague respiratory symptoms? White tears are also a symptom. If the top incisors aren’t growing out, they are growing inward at the root. It’s very possible the eye symptoms you’re seeing are related to the teeth. An X-ray is the only way to know the extent of the problem.

As long as odontoma don’t cause symptoms they are left alone. When they start causing problems like difficulty breathing, pain, etc.... the only cure is surgical removal.

He lost his teeth or year and a half ago would it take that long to show signs of odontoma? I don't know how he lost his teeth and I knew of this problem and I was hoping that after such a long time that it wasn't it

Odontoma can grow either very fast or very slow. No way to know what they will do. Some take years to grow enough to cause problems.