Thread: How do you know a squirrel can't be let out in the wild

Default How do you know a squirrel can't be let out in the wild

I found this female squirrel in the downtown area I work in. She was jumping on people and freaking them out. So, I let her jump on me and I took her home.
    She was probably 5 or 6 months old then. Well, I've been rehabbing her on my back porch for about 6 months now. She doesnt make squirrel noises, doesn't know how to build a nest and always jumps on me when I open the cage door to clean or feed.
    Is it possible that she just doesnt want to be free?

Default Re: How do you know a squirrel can't be let out in the wild

It’s possible but it’s not too common. Overwhelming, year old squirrels prefer the trees to living with us.

Does she seem normal in other ways? Is she a normal size? Can you post a pic?

By the way, it’s normal for them to jump on us when they are in a cage. Also, in captivity they have no need to nest build.

She is normal in all other squirrel ways. No defects or physical problems.

I thought by now she would have been happy to take off and find a boyfriend. Lol.

I'm on my phone and can't post a picture.
    She looks like your average sized grey squirrel. I've released squirrels in the past with no issues. This little girl seems to be a clinger. I've never had this happen to me before. Usually 3 or so months on the back porch and they are ready to explore and leave on their own.
    I think it's weird that she doesn't make any squirrel noises besides the clicks.
    Should I move the cage to an area of the yard that will let her see other squirrels better?

I would only move the cage if it’s predator proof. Most indoor cages aren’t predator proof.
    Before you give up on releasing her, I would try a proper soft release. This involves staying outside in a predator proof cage night and day. In her case it might take 3-4 weeks or more. Make sure the cage has a roof or partial roof as we are in the rainy season. She also needs a nest box in the cage. After that acclimation period you open a small portal and allow her to exit the cage. Most are thrilled to go. Some return to the cage for a day, a week or longer. Most of mine only return a day or two. If after this period she returns to you and is clingy and unhappy about being outside, she might indeed be a non-release. It’s very rare, but it does happen.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mel1959 (07-08-2019)