Thread: Pellet gun injury

Default Pellet gun injury

Yesterday I picked up a squirrel from my vet. Someone had called about him the afternoon before—said there was an injured squirrel in the back yard. Woman’s husband took the squirrel to the closest vet—which happens to be my squirrel vet. I picked him up yesterday. Some moron had shot him with a what looks like pellet gun. The good Dr. Gonzalas showed me the xrays—pellet fragmented when it hit his scapula. The wound is treated and other than the fragments there are no spine injuries evident BUT he’s not using his back legs. Vet gave him Metacam and an antibiotic injection, treated him for fleas, ticks and lice and gave him subq fluids. He’s with me—a beautiful adult male, who is scared to death and mad as hell. I am too. If it was a kid that injured him, I just want to make the little bastard the target of a few rounds of pellets—as well as the parents that turned the little sot loose with a weapon. If it was an adult, I’d up the calliber. I am reeeeeally pissed. In truth I’d likely miss. I’m a lousy shot.

This is grumpy boy savageing my glove (thankfully not my finger). He’s had some gruel—formula, HT, rice cereal and baby food AND some gabapentin. Might get in trouble for that but it’s what I have and I’d like to jumpstart those legs. They may have been injured in falling as there’s nothing obvious on the xrays. He also had some Baytril from the vet and a long drink of water. He can use some TSB vibes and prayers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

SugarMom (07-04-2019)

Default Re: Pellet gun injury

Poor boy. Vibes and prayers headed your way!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Chickenlegs (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    If it was a kid that injured him, I just want to make the little bastard the target of a few rounds of pellets—as well as the parents that turned the little sot loose with a weapon.
    Been there and know the feeling!

Poor baby, sending prayers for healing.
    I hope he can regain his legs.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Poor little guy. Prayers your way.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Been there and know the feeling!

Poor baby, sending prayers for healing.
    I hope he can regain his legs.
    Hey—I can use your help Russel—he BITES! Wish he could bite the SOB that hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Hey—I can use your help Russel—he BITES! Wish he could bite the SOB that hurt him.
    Been there too....
    These poor injuried babies who can not possibly understand what has happened to them are so full of fear
    for what is happening with them they are in constant survival mode. Unfortunately that survival dictates
    their defensive actions to fight for their lives with whatever resources they have. I only wish they all could
    understand when they are trying to be helped and not harmed. Hopefully when his pain subsides he will relax
    and be more compliant, something to look forward to but I wouldn't count on it. A wild animal is simply living
    in it's own state of nature.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator