Thread: Learning squirrel rescue - Tampa, FL

dlap378 Guest

Default Learning squirrel rescue - Tampa, FL

Hello, I found this website from a YouTube video and just joined. I am located in Tampa and would like to learn how to take care of found baby squirrels (I am a mature woman, not a teenager) Is there anyone in the Tampa area that would be willing to help/show me how? I have all the necessary equipment to do it, I just never done it and would like to learn hands-on. Watching YouTube is educational but not that helpful considering it is about saving the precious life of baby squirrels. Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dlap378 from:

SammysMom (07-05-2019)

Default Re: Learning squirrel rescue - Tampa, FL

dlap378
    to TheSquirrelBoard

I’m in Hillsborough County also. We would love to have you join our ranks. The last few summers have been challenging due to the hurricanes and tropical storms. When the winds blow, the trees rain baby squirrels. In the previous years there were literally hundreds of babies being rehabbed.

Here is a link that gives basic instructions for caring for babies.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (07-03-2019), SammysMom (07-05-2019)

dlap378 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    dlap378
    to TheSquirrelBoard

I’m in Hillsborough County also. We would love to have you join our ranks. The last few summers have been challenging due to the hurricanes and tropical storms. When the winds blow, the trees rain baby squirrels. In the previous years there were literally hundreds of babies being rehabbed.

Here is a link that gives basic instructions for caring for babies.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Thank you for the link, I already am aware of all that is written (I purchased miracle nipples from Henry's site) What I am looking for is someone to show 'hands-on' the proper way to do the bottle feed so I don't kill the poor baby. The rest I find very easy.

It rains squirrels your way after heavy rains/storms... lucky you! Every time we have those, I hope a little one will fall off one of the oak trees around my house and no luck for almost 2 yrs. I feed about 30 squirrels, maybe more of them and perhaps they are to well feed and build heavy duty nests .

Not necessarily in my yard, but in general. It’s the extreme winds that disturb the nests. We always try to reunite with mom when possible. So far most of the babies are safe with mom.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (07-03-2019)

Dlap... Yes when you have the first one it can be very scary. I don't have any at the moment to show you but could explain better over email or phone some of the details you could be missing. Be sure to only use 1 to 3cc no larger ever with small miracle nipple work fine. The o ring syringes are best.
    Feed slowly to avoid asperation feed slowly . Especially with the pink babies momma can raise them better then us but when injured we have to intervene cause momma will not help them. Also one thing to know is they do better in pairs for better release. So sometimes you want to get them stable then locate somebody who can take it on or you take one of theirs. Also know that pinkies are fed every 2 hours so working a job is hard unless you can maintain 2 hour feedings is a must. Send me a message to Mkgadget@gmail.com

Irma was the worst however I have rehabbed over 30 and have had to save one's with medical needs. Google... squirrel Irma and you will see video of us. Fox 13 news. Now we have friends hang squirrel boxes in trees to save lives during Florida wind storms.

dlap378 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LanSeaAir View Post
    Dlap... Yes when you have the first one it can be very scary. I don't have any at the moment to show you but could explain better over email or phone some of the details you could be missing. Be sure to only use 1 to 3cc no larger ever with small miracle nipple work fine. The o ring syringes are best.
    Feed slowly to avoid asperation feed slowly . Especially with the pink babies momma can raise them better then us but when injured we have to intervene cause momma will not help them. Also one thing to know is they do better in pairs for better release. So sometimes you want to get them stable then locate somebody who can take it on or you take one of theirs. Also know that pinkies are fed every 2 hours so working a job is hard unless you can maintain 2 hour feedings is a must. Send me a message to Mkgadget@gmail.com

Irma was the worst however I have rehabbed over 30 and have had to save one's with medical needs. Google... squirrel Irma and you will see video of us. Fox 13 news. Now we have friends hang squirrel boxes in trees to save lives during Florida wind storms.
    Aww, so sweet about Irma! I have those syringes. (I actually have a few different sizes) Thank you for all the info, there is so much to learn! I'm self employed and the 2 or 3 hrs feed times are not a problem. I am keeping your email handy in case I need it. thank you so much!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dlap378 from:

LanSeaAir (08-08-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.