Thread: Sneezing, should I be worried?

Helvil Guest

Default Sneezing, should I be worried?

I wasn't sure if I should post a second thread as I posted about finding Peanut (5-6 week grey squirrel) in the baby squirrel forum. But after more continued reading on various squirrel related things I came across sneezing being a potential early warning sign for pneumonia? Peanut has been sneezing a bit, from what I remember shes been doing so since we took her in on tuesday.

We've been feeding her slowly and carefully (1cc syringe) as we don't yet have the proper nipple (its in the mail), angled into her cheek as best I can, coming from below as if she was nursing from a laying down mama squirrel, pushing then pausing with the syringe. I really hope we didn't mistakenly aspirate her. There hasn't been any sign of milk out the nose/bubbles. And she is still a very eager eater, and always very playful afterwards before she tuckers herself out for another sleep.

It sticks in my mind as well that the man who originally found her and dumped her off at a tree by my apartment mentioned giving her water, saying she'd had heatstroke before he took off. He seemed to only have a drink cup on him so I'm not sure how he went about it.

Anyway, whatever the potential cause is there more I should look out for? I haven't heard any of the clicking sound when she breaths. And I'm unsure if her sleep amount is unusual, she always seems to sleep the day away and only awaken near food time, she eats, plays a bit and then goes back to sleep. (shes kept in an old cat carrier, bedded with cut up t-shirts and sheets, covered with a blanket to keep her feeling secure, and heated with a heating pad under half the carrier)

Am I being overly paranoid? Or should I be concerned?

I've been looking around for more experienced rehabilitators in my area (Brantford, Ontario) just in case it turns out she is ill and needs a more experienced hand, but it's been tricky. I'm weary about contacting most of the wildlife related businesses around here as they mostly all deal with removal, or vets that seem to stick to only domesticated pets. I'm more than willing to keep caring for her if I can't find someone more qualified, caring for her so far has been a joy, and I'd love to release her near my apartment so she could enjoy the food & water I leave out for the neighborhood squirrels, but I worry about making mistakes.

Name:  peanut2.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  26.6 KB

Default Re: Sneezing, should I be worried?

I don’t think you have any reason for concern. Baby squirrels do sleep a lot. Actually we call it a milk coma. They eat and then curl up for a nap. Sneezing isn’t really a symptom of aspiration pneumonia although it can be a symptom of other respiratory issues. I would be more concerned if the sneezes are associated with a nasal discharge. With pneumonia you will hear clicking with each breath. You will also see lethargy and loss of appetite. When you say she is an eager eater and plays I certainly don’t think aspiration pneumonia.

Squirrels sometimes do sneeze but they also make little snorts that sound like sneezes. It’s more of a pffft than a real sneeze. You’re just a normal concerned mama that wants the best for your baby. I think she is fine and she is as cute as she can be.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Helvil Guest

Default Re: Sneezing, should I be worried?

Oh that's a relief, thank you so much for the quick reply. I think I was getting overly anxious about it all yesterday lol.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.