Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What age is this baby squirrel?

Default Re: What age is this baby squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Aww...Hazel is adorable. You have done an awesome job raising a pinkie.

She is a growing girl. Don’t worry about her getting fat. We love fat little babies. When she gets older she will take much more than 5-7%. Bigger babies easily take 10% but you have to work up to that. As they get older bloat isn’t as much of a concern. Of course, don’t overdo it. When they get to be teenagers I don’t weight them anymore. Actually, you can’t really weight them at that age without a fight.
    I feed them what they want which is a LOT!

You should see eyeballs this week. 👁
    Ok.. cant wait for her eyes to open!!!

Also when should i start changing her cage right now i just have her in this rectangular plastic container with the heating pad and blanket with no lid or anything. So soon shes gonna need something new but what age should i change it at. Also what does it need to have and look like

I would put holes in the lid and use the lid. You would surprised how fast they will climb out of a bin. I use containers like these. I sometimes use 3 different sizes of bins like the ones in this pic. Small one, medium one and then a large one. With just one baby you can probably just get a medium bin and skip the large bin. When you have multiple babies they need more space. By the way, to get perfect holes like those you use a cheap step bit from Harbor Freight. They sell cheap ones. At Lowe’s and HD they are very expensive. You don’t need that. Some people burn holes in the lid but that’s unsightly for an OCD person like myself.
    Name:  353DD745-60D4-4127-82D7-6A9D6BD5A104.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  87.0 KB

After the baby is ready for a cage (about 9 weeks) I use a low small cage like in this link. You don’t have to get this cage but make sure it’s a low profile cage. You don’t want a tall cage. The little monkeys start climbing and fails can be risky. That’s the reason for the low cage.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufact...gateway&sr=8-4

You have to be careful with this type of cage because they have pinch points on the edges. You can eliminate that hazard by wrapping the side edges with long strips of fleece. The edges can cause entrapment of toes and lost toes so the wrapping is important.

You can go ahead and buy a couple soft stuffed animals. Don’t get the ones with button eyes or beads inside. The best are simple small stuffed animals. They love to play with stuffies. It’s the cutest thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I would put holes in the lid and use the lid. You would surprised how fast they will climb out of a bin. I use containers like these. I sometimes use 3 different sizes of bins like the ones in this pic. Small one, medium one and then a large one. With just one baby you can probably just get a medium bin and skip the large bin. When you have multiple babies they need more space. By the way, to get perfect holes like those you use a cheap step bit from Harbor Freight. They sell cheap ones. At Lowe’s and HD they are very expensive. You don’t need that. Some people burn holes in the lid but that’s unsightly for an OCD person like myself.
    Name:  353DD745-60D4-4127-82D7-6A9D6BD5A104.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  87.0 KB

After the baby is ready for a cage (about 9 weeks) I use a low small cage like in this link. You don’t have to get this cage but make sure it’s a low profile cage. You don’t want a tall cage. The little monkeys start climbing and fails can be risky. That’s the reason for the low cage.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufact...gateway&sr=8-4

You have to be careful with this type of cage because they have pinch points on the edges. You can eliminate that hazard by wrapping the side edges with long strips of fleece. The edges can cause entrapment of toes and lost toes so the wrapping is important.

You can go ahead and buy a couple soft stuffed animals. Don’t get the ones with button eyes or beads inside. The best are simple small stuffed animals. They love to play with stuffies. It’s the cutest thing ever.
    Ok so today I got her into her new home it doesnt have any parts where she can get pinched. I have a few pieces of rodent block in the corner. I have the cage on its side so its longer and not as tall. Theres 2 stuffed animals in there for her and theres a small part where the heating pad is but I dont think she uses it anymore. She also opened her eyes on august 1st and shes doing really good. Yesterday august 10th she turned 7 weeks old
    Name:  20190811_120602.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  20190811_120735.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  76.3 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123