Thread: Huge Tree ( Hackberry)

Default Huge Tree ( Hackberry)

We had bad storms yesterday and lost a huge tree in the front yard. I think it’s cslled a Hackberry? It has lots of big,thick limbs with bark and lichens.
    Would they like this stuff , this flavor of tree?Name:  396A7865-CAEA-4D55-A221-3663AF90F370.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  170.4 KB

I’m just grateful it didn’t fall into the house or barn!

The second pic is a huge limb that nearly got the RC
    The wind also ripped all my drop cloths off but fixing everything back today. Hoping little Trio is hanging on tight wherever they are staying..
    They are NOT sleeping in the cage; not even once since released . Maybe a sign yesterday of food being eaten but my husband thinks it’s a field rat stealing the food . We set up
    A deer cam last night so hoping to see one of
    Releases at least .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Huge Tree ( Hackberry)

Wow, quite a storm there. I’m not familiar with hackberry trees so I don’t know if they’re safe or not.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Snicker Bar (06-28-2019)

If it is indeed a hackberry tree, yes they love the branches and the berries that grow on them. The wilds here fight over the berries when they are ripe. I give my NRs hackberry branches and they are a favorite here.

I actually did a little research on hackberry trees awhile back when I was wondering the same thing and found some very interesting information about hackberries - they have properties that are very good for squirrels from what I have read and are a good source of calcium and antioxidants as well as an aid for digestive issues.

I’m glad the storm didn’t damage your RC or injure your squirrels. Ironically my RC is also positioned right under a hackberry tree and a bad storm we had a few years ago took out a huge limb on it, narrowly missing my RC and a nest box in that tree that my release Lenny was in. It shook him up pretty badly, but he was back in the box before too long. Hope your littles will calm down in time as well.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Diggie's Friend (06-29-2019), Snicker Bar (06-29-2019)

The hackberries of this species of hackberry tree are edible, best when ripe. https://www.coldstreamfarm.net/produ...-occidentalis/

Nothing so far noted about the wood, or the leaves. Keep in mind that though the fruit or nuts of trees that squirrels consume are not toxic, the bark and leaves may be. Wood placed in indoor habitats needs to be non toxic for they will chew on it far more than the same woods they may chew in the wild.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Scooterzmom (06-29-2019), Snicker Bar (06-29-2019)

As for lichens, there are more that are toxic than not. Save for a chemical confirmation that can be done I wouldn't feed them to squirrels..

(see YouTube) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oozdok-yLxs

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Scooterzmom (06-29-2019), Snicker Bar (06-29-2019)

Thank you for all the info Lenny’s Mom and Diggie’s Friend; glad to know this tree won’t go to waste . They’ve come and debulked it into more manageable pieces, so I’ll try and get thinks that can be cleaned or baked lol ( if baking is really necessary??) I never have done that ( bake a branch lol) . I like to use long, sturdy limbs with bark that stretch across the whole room.... Won’t fit in my oven.