Thread: Face peeling off? Pitiful and scary!

Exclamation Face peeling off? Pitiful and scary!

Hi all. I have a baby found this past Saturday (6/22). It had been very windy here the night before, and I believe he may have been blown out of a nest. He was found in a very dangerous predicament - right next to the neighbors dog pen. I tried to reunite with mom in a safer, but close, location to no avail. Mom and I have raised and rehabbed many babies, but never one like this. The day I found him I noticed his little nose looked to be injured. It was not bleeding at all - just appeared to be ďscuffed upĒ. I assumed it had happened on his way to me somehow. Since Saturday I believe it has been gradually getting worse. The first picture Iíve attached was taken Saturday afternoon, and the last three were taken tonight. It has started to bleed slightly, and appears to be ďgrowingĒ - more area appears to be affected. Iíve never seen anything like this before. Could this be viral? Yeast? Bacterial? If this is not life threatening I do apologize, and please move this thread to non-life threatening... But I am terrified with how this seems to be growing. He is eating really well, gaining weight steadily, and doing all normal squirrelly things... Thank you in advance for your help!

Name:  09AEBFE5-AF0F-4104-B011-E7EFBE33BF0C.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  102.4 KBName:  E54D7312-CD90-4F57-9755-BE84A72E95F7.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  96.8 KBName:  E91FD6FE-1879-4FD1-9452-4923F489CF54.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  90.8 KBName:  FA652F2B-EE50-44C8-8974-4EA9444A0A99.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  96.4 KB

Default Re: Face peeling off? Pitiful and scary!

After I posted I realized the pictures got out of order - the pink background was Saturday. The 3 with the Auburn T-shirt during feeding were tonight.

Poor little guy.
    I'm not sure what is going on with the baby, but I hope someone will be helping you soon.
    Do you have access to a vet if needed?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

hwood (06-25-2019)

I have a vet who will help me in any way, but Iím not sure he will actually see the baby. I can get medication and advice, but he isnít well-versed in wildlife. Thatís frowned upon here in Alabama. Us rehabbers are kind of on our own, unfortunately.

I would be inclined to treat this as a fungal infection...
    I would suggest cleaning with a diluted Betadine solution and applying
    an anti-fungal cream that contains clotrimazole or miconazole.
    My personal preference would be Lotrimin AF Anti-Fungal Cream.
    One find this in creams under the treatment for athletics foot.
    Both Betadine and the anti-fungal could be bought over the counter.

Do you have any antibiotics, if so what are they?

Last edited by stepnstone; 06-26-2019 at 01:52 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I see you have a vet you can at least confer with, I would send him a couple pictures
    and get his opinion. Whatever you do I would suggest acting fast as assuming this is
    fungal you do not want it to work into his mouth.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Hi stepnstone. Thank you for your input. I do not have any antibiotics on hand, but I can get some during any regular vet hours. Would I purchase Betadine at a pharmacy? I will go tomorrow to get the Betadine and anti-fungal cream. Itís so pitiful to see, but he appears to be totally healthy otherwise which gives me hope all will be okay. How do I go about keeping him from wiping the cream off? Iíve put Neosporin on the area twice today, but I had to hold him and love on him for a looooong time to let it sit. As soon as I put him down he rubbed his little face on the blanket lol.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Whatever you do I would suggest acting fast as assuming this is
    fungal you do not want it to work into his mouth.
    In your opinion, will tomorrow be quick enough? I live in a very small town - I would have to drive about 30 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart for the cream, but if the Betadine is behind the counter I wouldnít be able to get it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by hwood View Post
    In your opinion, will tomorrow be quick enough? I live in a very small town - I would have to drive about 30 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart for the cream, but if the Betadine is behind the counter I wouldn’t be able to get it tonight.
    Over the counter means can be bought over the counter, you will find these items on the appropriate shelves.

I understand the inconvenience of the hour...

In the meantime, some home remedies for fungal infection:
    Apple cider vinegar: Contains antimicrobials.
    White vinegar: disrupts the pH balance of the skin and interferes with the growth of fungi on the skin.
    Virgin Coconut oil: The fatty acids act as fungicides.
    Cranberry juice: Cranberry juice contains a substance that helps stop bacteria from sticking to mucous membranes.

Tea: The tannins in tea can help kill the fungi responsible for fungal infections.
    Soak a few tea bags in warm water for 10 minutes, put them in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
    Apply the cold tea bags on the affected area.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Thanks - Iíve just never seen Betadine on the shelves. I thought I might could get it without a prescription, but would potentially need to ask a pharmacist. I believe I have every one of those home remedies. Should I apply topically, or should any of them be oral? Is there one in particular you feel would work best?

Thanks - Iíve just never seen Betadine on the shelves. I thought I might could get it without a prescription, but would potentially need to ask a pharmacist. I believe I have every one of those home remedies. Should I apply topically, or should any of them be oral? Is there one in particular you feel would work best?
    Apply topically...
    Personally my preference would be using both the apple cider vinegar to "clean" the affected area,
    let dry and then apply the virgin coconut oil.... and yes hold him a bit to let it have a chance to sink
    in before he rubs it off. lol
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Great - Iíll get started on that right away. Hopefully we can clear this up before it becomes more serious. I appreciate your help!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to hwood from:

stepnstone (06-26-2019)

Do you think the vet you know would allow you Baytril or SMZ-TMP (Bactrim /Sulfatrim) ?
    If so we can dose it for you but would need a weight on the little guy.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Thanks - Iíve just never seen Betadine on the shelves. I thought I might could get it without a prescription, but would potentially need to ask a pharmacist.
    Betadine is a brand name of a disinfectant. The generic is Povidone Iodine. Itís the same product. It can be purchased at any pharmacy or WalMart. It will be with the First Aid supplies and wound care products. It does not require a prescription.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (06-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Betadine is a brand name of a disinfectant. The generic is Povidone Iodine. Itís the same product. It can be purchased at any pharmacy or WalMart. It will be with the First Aid supplies and wound care products. It does not require a prescription.
    Any drug store will have this. When you wake up from surgery and the skin around the incision is all orange, it is from Betadyne. To use it on your squirrel, DILUTE it to about 25 drops per 1/4 cup water. It doesn't burn or sting so it won't hurt him. I would wipe that area down 3 or 4 times a day and then just leave it to dry on its own each time.

Betadyne is the bomb! I use it for darned near anything that happens to my skin - cuts, rashes, scrapes, etc.

BTW, just about every drug store/Walmart, etc., will have their own store brand. Save a few bucks and feel free to get that. It is all the same med.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (06-26-2019)

Thanks for the information! Iíll be getting the Betadine soon - in the meantime Iíve done a little bit of the home remedy care. Iím positive I could get the antibiotics from my vet - does he need to take antibiotics for a fungal infection? Or should the Betadine/fungal cream combo clear it up on its own?