Thread: Grey wild squirrel ear missing (see pics)

Default Grey wild squirrel ear missing (see pics)

Hello, I'm new here. I've known this grey wild squirrel for almost a year but hadn't seen it for about 3 weeks until it shown up the other day when I noticed something happened to it's ear. It seems over the past few days whatever is going around its ear has gotten worst and I don't know if its some sort of infection or injury. The ear is missing now and is also missing a patch of fur on its back end. If anyone can help me understand what may be going on from the pics I've attached, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Default Re: Grey wild squirrel ear missing (see pics)

Is the ear actually missing or is it all crunched down against her head? I have a yard squirrel that I thought had only one ear but much closer examination showed me that it is there, just all gnarled up.

Is it possible that this little one has mange? It is sort of hard to tell in the photo - mange looks red and sore, the hair falls out, and the skin develops almost a silvery looking crust from dead skin. Also, the patch on the rear. Can you describe what you see? It looks like part of it is inflamed?

Default Re: Wild Grey Squirrel

Thank you for replying. I got a better look at the squirrel today and it appears the ear was only gnarled up yesterday when it came by. Today the ear wasn't gnarled up and visible. I'm sorry, i'm not sure if it might have mange, but it does kind of look crusty around the ear. I've attached a new photo of the patch on its rear. It looks like theres a sore in the middle of the patch. Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images