Thread: Baby squirrel living in the wall— help

Red Guest

Question Baby squirrel living in the wall— help

Hello. There seems to be young squirrel scampering around inside the walls/ventilation of my room. Does anyone know how to lure it out or what sort of entrance to look for? I first heard it a couple days ago and I can’t tell if it’s trapped or not (it seems pretty lively, so far, and not very skittish of humans).

Default Re: Baby squirrel living in the wall— help

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Hello. There seems to be young squirrel scampering around inside the walls/ventilation of my room. Does anyone know how to lure it out or what sort of entrance to look for? I first heard it a couple days ago and I can’t tell if it’s trapped or not (it seems pretty lively, so far, and not very skittish of humans).
    It likely fell down from the attic or ceiling, not likely it would be able to climb back up the inside of a wall. It needs an exit!
    If it's in the ventilation remove vents to give it an exit. A couple days with no water is not good, it will dehydrate and it's
    not going to stay lively for long.
    What makes you say "not very skittish of humans?" Are you able to see it?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Red Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    It likely fell down from the attic or ceiling, not likely it would be able to climb back up the inside of a wall. It needs an exit!
    If it's in the ventilation remove vents to give it an exit. A couple days with no water is not good, it will dehydrate and it's
    not going to stay lively for long.
    What makes you say "not very skittish of humans?" Are you able to see it?
    I can’t see it but I can hear it quite well. I tapped on the wall near it earlier and it ignored me. There’s only one adult squirrel I know who has that much confidence and this one sounds too small to be her.
    There’s a vent it undoubtedly has access to so I’ll try removing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I can’t see it but I can hear it quite well. I tapped on the wall near it earlier and it ignored me. There’s only one adult squirrel I know who has that much confidence and this one sounds too small to be her.
    There’s a vent it undoubtedly has access to so I’ll try removing that.
    Likely is a youngster. If it were a trapped adult I would think you'd hear some serious chewing.
    What are your walls, usual drywall? Does it appear to stay to one section of wall, I'm assuming low?
    Considering wall studs are typically spaced at 16" this baby could have slid down the wall like a chute
    and is likely between studs? If it is, access to the vent depends on where he and the vent are located.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (06-18-2019), Nancy in New York (06-18-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.