Thread: Is my squirrel sick or in heat

Lynn1950 Guest

Default Is my squirrel sick or in heat

Hello! Something is going on with my 3 y/o female pet squirrel. She has been very fussy and not having anything to do with me since yesterday. Still ate yesterday but fusses if I bother her. Today she doesn't want to come out of her bed. She only ate a half of a pecan this morning and ate it in her bed. Moves all extremities. Has been on Henry's healthy blocks since old enough to eat them so I don't know what's wrong. Did same thing about 3-4 weeks ago, then got back to normal.Seems to be well hydrated. Anybody have any ideas? I'm worried about her. Could this be a heat cycle? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Is my squirrel sick or in heat

Hi Lynn
    to TheSquirrelBoard

What else does she eat besides the Henry’s block and pecans? Also, give us an idea of how many nuts she eats per day.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (06-17-2019)

Lynn1950 Guest

She eats sugar snaps, kale,blue berries, seedless grapes, cherries(minus the seed), cauliflower and hazelnuts,pecans, pistachios, sweet pot occasionally,small piece of corn on cob, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seed,. If course her favorite is hazelnuts but wouldn't eat one today. She has only eaten pecan half and blueberry today.Refused her block and a hazelnut this morning. She got out of her bed to urinate and went right back in her bed. I tried to check where she urinated but couldn't feel anything wet so not sure if she urinated or not. Her tummy doesn't look any different, not hard and abdomen not distended.She doesn't "look" sick. It's almost like she's pouting if that makes any sense. Yesterday she was making all kinds of squirrel noises I didn't even know she could make. She does have food stash so may have eaten more than I know.

Lynn1950 Guest

Thanks so much for answering!

Lynn1950 Guest

She probably eats 4 hazel nuts a day.( Sometimes she just hides them so I'm not really sure. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

IMO 4 nuts a day of any kind, is a lot. I hope your girl doesn’t have the onset of MBD. If others think that might be a possibility I’m sure they’ll chime in. In the meantime you might want to get some tums so you have them on hand to start administering calcium doses. Calcium won’t hurt her even if she doesn’t have MBD.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Lynn1950 Guest

Oh I sure hope not. She does eat too many nuts. She has been up to use the bathroom and back in her bed. She took just a few sugar snaps this evening. I will get some time just to have on hand. Thank you so much!

Lynn1950 Guest

Meant Tums not time.lol

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.