Thread: Bot fly or bite wound on Grey Squirrel?

Default Bot fly or bite wound on Grey Squirrel?

Hey everyone. I have a Grey Squirrel that I raised and then released, who comes back to see me daily. He developed a wound pretty much over night and I can't tell if it's from a bite or a bot fly. I will attach some photos. The swelling seems to be going down a bit, not getting bigger but he keeps scratching at it. Any expert opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure what to do?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Bot fly or bite wound on Grey Squirrel?

It looks like a bot but a bot would not be getting smaller. Just the opposite, it would be getting larger and you see a black dot in the opening. I would watch it and see what happens. If it’s a bot I wouldn’t intervene. Let it run its course and eventually it will leave.

I appreciate the response. I wish there was a way to tell? Reason being I was able to coax him into his old cage, and if it's bot I'll just let him go but if it's some kind of wound I'm wondering if I should be doctoring it with some anti bacterial stuff, maybe some sovereign silver you know? He keeps scratching at it and making it red and bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It looks like a bot but a bot would not be getting smaller. Just the opposite, it would be getting larger and you see a black dot in the opening. I would watch it and see what happens. If it’s a bot I wouldn’t intervene. Let it run its course and eventually it will leave.
    You have seen more of these than me (bleah, boy have you!) - could the sore have been hidden in his belly fur and the fly has already exited, which is why it is getting smaller? That is a fluffy squirrel.

Possibly but I'm not sure since I don't think the hole was really a hole until he started scratching at it and opening it up. Today he keeps doing that in the cage and opening it up more though, and I'm concerned about infection

Here are a few pictures of the wound from a day ago, before he scratched it open more. Anyone have suggestions on what to do?

I really think it looks like a bot. I haven’t seen any at my place this year. I expect them soon. I start seeing them in July. Watch the hole carefully. You can usually see them move. If you put Vaseline on the opening they move a LOT.

Even if it is an abscess I wouldn’t necessarily treat. With all that scratching he will probably open it himself. Usually draining is all it needs. I would probably just watch it and wait. If it’s a bot all the scratching in the world won’t dislodge it.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

lennysmom (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I really think it looks like a bot. I haven’t seen any at my place this year. I expect them soon. I start seeing them in July. Watch the hole carefully. You can usually see them move. If you put Vaseline on the opening they move a LOT.

Even if it is an abscess I wouldn’t necessarily treat. With all that scratching he will probably open it himself. Usually draining is all it needs. I would probably just watch it and wait. If it’s a bot all the scratching in the world won’t dislodge it.
    I really appreciate the responses! I tried watching the wound but couldn't really tell if anything is in there, except alot of drainage. Here are a few pics I took today. The swelling has gone down alot, but the wound itself looks more red and bloody. I decided to let him out of the cage and back outside in hopes that he would stop irritating it as much. If you have any advice on what I should do next, if anything, I would really appreciate it. I'm not sure at what point one would start to consider anti biotics?

It looks nice and clean right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Here's a couple pics from today. Do the wounds for a bot fly normally look like this, a hole in the flesh? I'm not an expert but what about a spider bite, like a brown recluse?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Update: Here it is tonight. Looks like a black scab over it, and it isn't draining anymore. Still think bot or could it be something else?

It still looks remarkably like a bot to me, although if it is scabbing over that is not normal for a bot fly. The botfly it self starts to come to the surface and it is black in color.. but if it doesn’t move and is an actual scab, it would make me wonder if the bot has died.

I had that happen once to my release Lenny. He had suffered many botfly’s before but there was one on him that appeared normal for the first week or so and then suddenly scabbed and seemed to absorb itself into his body over time with no further issues. I kept watching for any signs of infection but never saw any so I let it be. I hated to put him through the stress of a vet trip if it wasn’t necessary. I would say at this point just to keep a very close eye on it and if you begin to see any signs of infection such as redness, swelling, or puss, he may need to be brought in and treated.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

McCarthy (04-30-2022)

Played with your picture....
    I agree bot... are you sure that's a scab?
    Could it be the bot is starting to emerge?
    If so, leave it alone and let it do it's thing...

then kill it, flush it, whatever. They are

Name:  1st.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  33.6 KB Name:  2nd.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  20.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

McCarthy (04-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDane View Post
    Update: Here it is tonight. Looks like a black scab over it, and it isn't draining anymore. Still think bot or could it be something else?
    Did this end up being a bot?