Thread: 4-year old squirrel vomiting

Hybrid View

Default 4-year old squirrel vomiting

I'm worried about my pet squirrel. Shes almost 4yrs old and ive raised her since she was about 3 weeks old. Shes never had any issues w/ this before, but right now she keeps vomiting and I'm not sure what to do.

Here is her diet:

peas
    beans
    spinach
    kale
    banana
    squirrel/rodent block
    almonds/hazelnuts/walnuts
    ---
    (these are the only thing out of the norm):
    cantaloupe
    avacado w/ the peel

Shes drinking water when I give it to her and her stool was normal this morning. However, she will not eat and keeps throwing up the water. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

Default Re: 4-year old squirrel vomiting

Also want to point out she seems to be moving around fine, and continues to drink water.

You gave her avocado WITH THE PEEL? Is that correct? Avocado peels contain a toxin caller persin - so does the pit. Neither should EVER be fed to a squirrel. The only think I can offer is to push water to try to dilute and flush the system. I would also try to get some activated charcoal into her ASAP to hopefully bind with the toxin to help get it OUT of her.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

SammysMom (06-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    You gave her avocado WITH THE PEEL? Is that correct? Avocado peels contain a toxin caller persin - so does the pit. Neither should EVER be fed to a squirrel. The only think I can offer is to push water to try to dilute and flush the system. I would also try to get some activated charcoal into her ASAP to hopefully bind with the toxin to help get it OUT of her.
    Yes, she usually just peels it like anything else (banana/nut/peas/etc), and eats the inside. If she ingested any of it (which seems to be the case), it would have only been a small amount as they were thin slices, not the entire avocado.

Should I wait and see if it clears up or just give her the charcoal now? If so, how much and for how long?

Thank you for your advice.

Well, regardless, it IS unfortunately toxic. Hopefully she ingested very little. Don't feed it again.

As far as whether to administer it, if you are going to, it needs to be soon. Giving it days later isn't going to do much. If I had accidentally fed a toxic substance to my squirrel who was now vomiting, something VERY alien to squirrels, BTW, I would do everything I could to mitigate that. The product you are looking for is called Toxiban and the liquid suspension will be easiest. If I have some idea of her weight I can dose more precisely...but frankly, you can't give too much - it isn't toxic, AND more importantly, she ain't gonna like it much and won't let you get too much down I suspect.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

riggs (06-16-2019), SammysMom (06-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Well, regardless, it IS unfortunately toxic. Hopefully she ingested very little. Don't feed it again.

As far as whether to administer it, if you are going to, it needs to be soon. Giving it days later isn't going to do much. If I had accidentally fed a toxic substance to my squirrel who was now vomiting, something VERY alien to squirrels, BTW, I would do everything I could to mitigate that. The product you are looking for is called Toxiban and the liquid suspension will be easiest. If I have some idea of her weight I can dose more precisely...but frankly, you can't give too much - it isn't toxic, AND more importantly, she ain't gonna like it much and won't let you get too much down I suspect.
    She is a full grown Eastern Grey squirrel. I don't know the actual weight off hand. Roughly a couple pounds.

I've been calling around and the only place I can get activated charcoal currently is at Walgreens, but its granular. Will this work? Just a ballpark idea of the dosage would be helpful I can just put it in a syringe w/ some water and administer it that way.

Before you go to Walgreens, call your local chain pet store. They may have the suspension - might even have a flavored one.

When she wakes up check her eyes for nystagmus. Nystagmus is rapid movement of the eyes either side to side or up and down. If you see this movement of the eyes, it indicated vertigo or dizziness. Vertigo can cause nausea and vomiting that is unrelated to GI issues. The Benadryl should help with nausea associated with vertigo.

Does she have unsupervised time out of the cage? Is there a possibility that she ‘found’ some old, petrified food like maybe under the couch?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

riggs (06-16-2019)