Thread: 1 yr old gray male, non releasable, literally attacking us suddenly

Marcyd4 Guest

Default 1 yr old gray male, non releasable, literally attacking us suddenly

The colonel was sick, dying and frail for months. He didn't grow like he should have and lived in an incubator for a long time. A year later, he's very healthy, still about 1/2 to 2/3 the size he should be, but healthy. He was in his cage for about 10 days due to a back injury I had. I couldn't get up/down the stairs or walk much at all. My husband took care of him but couldn't let him out and get him back in. Once I was better, he got out to play, and was fine with me. He was okay with my husband for a minute then pinned his ears and started going crazy attacking him. We thought it was cuz he hadn't let him out. a week later, he was sitting in my hands while I rubbed his head, belly etc like every day, and he pinned his ears and attacked me too. Like biting as much and as fast as he could. I wasnt far from the cage so I was able to get him back in. I've rehabbed raccoons etc for 25 years but never dealt with an adult male squirrel. We love him, but we're not sure what to do. There have been 2 females that we wintered in his room, but separate cages. Is it just hormones? Should we consider releasing him? Our winters are pretty rough. We live on 14 acres of woods, the thought of releasing him is so sad and worrisone, but we want what's best for the colonel. Help please. I haven't let him out because I almost needed stitches the last round of biting. Thank you.

Default Re: 1 yr old gray male, non releasable, literally attacking us suddenly

Quote Originally Posted by Marcyd4 View Post
    The colonel was sick, dying and frail for months. He didn't grow like he should have and lived in an incubator for a long time. A year later, he's very healthy, still about 1/2 to 2/3 the size he should be, but healthy. He was in his cage for about 10 days due to a back injury I had. I couldn't get up/down the stairs or walk much at all. My husband took care of him but couldn't let him out and get him back in. Once I was better, he got out to play, and was fine with me. He was okay with my husband for a minute then pinned his ears and started going crazy attacking him. We thought it was cuz he hadn't let him out. a week later, he was sitting in my hands while I rubbed his head, belly etc like every day, and he pinned his ears and attacked me too. Like biting as much and as fast as he could. I wasnt far from the cage so I was able to get him back in. I've rehabbed raccoons etc for 25 years but never dealt with an adult male squirrel. We love him, but we're not sure what to do. There have been 2 females that we wintered in his room, but separate cages. Is it just hormones? Should we consider releasing him? Our winters are pretty rough. We live on 14 acres of woods, the thought of releasing him is so sad and worrisone, but we want what's best for the colonel. Help please. I haven't let him out because I almost needed stitches the last round of biting. Thank you.
    Sometimes it's a new odor or scent that sets them off, cologne, perfume, soap, laundry detergent, etc.
    And yes it could be hormonal, at a year old I would venture to say his testosterone has kicked in and he
    is wilding up. The scent of a female maybe has a play in it.
    Why do you say/think he's non releasable as your title suggests?
    Can you post a picture of him...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (06-14-2019), redwuff (06-14-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.