Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with baby squirrel

Default Re: Need help with baby squirrel

Yes it is that stuff... I mixed as directed. Fed her and she took it very good. I also mixed my stuff in as well so not to be too drastic with change. She is 41 grams today. Happy as can be!! Thank you guys so much for the right tips i hope i can get her on track

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squeaks:

gunpackingrandma (06-14-2019), HRT4SQRLS (06-08-2019), Nancy in New York (06-09-2019), stepnstone (06-09-2019)

Ok guys little girl (Honey) has been on esbiliac powdered formula for almost a week. She transitioned Beautifully... One thing i have noticed is she is not gaining alot of weight though she has been stuck at 38 grams since transition. Her poo is now brown and not golden colored but it is solid. Her tail has fluffed out more and she has gotten way more active. I have not introduced any solid foods yet besides henry blocks which she nibbles on but doesnt seem to care for them. Any suggestions?

You can boost the esbilac with add in ingredients. You want first to find some full fat yogurt - vanilla is okay. Stoneyfield makes some. Then get a small carton of heavy cream - the stuff right next to the half and half, not the whipping cream in a can.

I like to be really conservative when I transition formulas or add new stuff to them. I would start by adding the yogurt first, very gradually. You will eventually be working your way up to 2 parts water, 1 part esbilac powder, 1/2 part yogurt and 1/2 part heavy cream, but as I said, I would gradually add in first the yogurt over a day or two, and then the cream, also very slowly over a day or two until you are at the final concentration. It also makes it yummier and you may see a difference in enthusiasm. When she gets to the age where she is chewing up and spitting out a syringe per feeding you will appreciate the understatement I used there.

There is a product that Fox Valley sells called Ultraboost which is basically the heavy cream dehydrated down into a powder.

BTW, the heavy cream is okay in smallish quantities like this despite being from COWS, which is one of the reasons that the scalded milk recipe is such a disaster, BECAUSE, as odd as it may seem, the higher the milkfat in a dairy product, the lower the lactose, which is the digestive problem with cow's milk. Skim milk has the highest lactose. The heavy cream has the least!

I did mention to go slowly, right? LOL...

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

gunpackingrandma (06-14-2019), HRT4SQRLS (06-12-2019), Nancy in New York (06-12-2019), Squeaks (06-12-2019)

More than likely the brown poop is due to the small amount of block she is nibbling.

At this point I wouldn’t be concerned about the reluctance to eat the block. If she starts enthusiastically eating the block she will take less formula and eventually start to self wean. You do not want her to wean. She needs the formula to grow that tiny body. I have raised babies on exclusively Esbilac and they grew fine but when they need a boost like Honey does, adding the yogurt, heavy cream or Ultraboost as CritterMom recommended is the way to go. Take heed to her advice to add any of these slowly. You don’t want to turn those perfect solid, brown poops to diarrhea.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

gunpackingrandma (06-14-2019), Squeaks (06-12-2019)

Thank you guys so much i will take her block out so she doesn't self wean. I do have some heavy cream in carton still. I will add a little in to her formula!! Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Thank you guys so much i will take her block out so she doesn't self wean. I do have some heavy cream in carton still. I will add a little in to her formula!! Thank you again
    Just a teeny bit at first. It is rich.

Ok guys so since adding heavy cream just a tiny bit she is up to 43 grams. She has been doing good, but this morning I had noticed her eyes were a little watery she ate 5cc and peed and pooped. No bloating. This afternoon when i went to feed her she still had watery eyes and has been rubbing her face on anything she can. I have not done anything different have not given her nothing but formula. But she only ate 1cc. Any ideas? Is she trying to self wean? She will be 10 weeks Tuesday.

Name:  20190613_062339.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  136.1 KB here is current picture.

Update:
    Just tried to feed again she did take 3cc but she vomitted some up. Shes very squinty eyed and not as active she seems to want to put her head down alot. Please Help. Im not sure what to do. She did poop and pee, she isnt dehydrated i did the pinch test. She is not clicking so i dont think its pneumonia

I don't know what's going on but it is concerning. She looks like a failure to thrive baby.

Is she still on a heating pad? (On LOW under half of the bin) She is so tiny I doubt she can self regulate her body temperature. She doesn't need to be using calories to maintain body temp.

I wonder what the eye rubbing is about?

Yes very concerning and yes she still is on heating pad half under. She hasnt rubbed her face since earlier now its just putting her head down.

How often do you feed her?

Is she anxious to eat or does she need encouragement to eat?

She gets fed at 7 3 and 10:30 5ccs every time and shes usually very eager to eat. She was great this morning eating.. Didnt want to eat at 3 but then ate a little at 1030. She stopped wanting suck when i switched her to esbiliac but still took drops at a time no problem.

I wonder if smaller portions more often would help. 8 hours is a long interval for a 43g baby. I know she is 10 weeks and 8 hrs would be appropriate for her age but the weight is way off.

She displays the characteristics of malnutrition. On the scalded milk she would just fade away but I'm concerned that the Esbilac isn't turning her around. It is a complete formula so she should be gaining but she isn't. It's as thought she isn't absorbing nutrients. I just read about malnutrition and it discussed lack of micronutrients. I'm reaching here but maybe you should give her a 1/2 block to nibble on. The Henry's are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Maybe the block will provide something she needs in terms of micronutrients.

Of course, we don't want her to wean but she needs more than she's getting. Really concerned.

You mention not clicking so that's good. You can put her up to your ear to listen. Sometimes the clicking is very faint.

Just as a precaution do you have any antibiotics available in case they are needed later?
    It's always good to be prepared.

I will try to feed less more often and see if that helps. And I agree its as if she isnt thriving off esbiliac. I will put half a block in with her and hopes she will nibble it again. Yes i hold her to my ear alot and listen all the time and she is silent besides when she grunts at me lol I dont have any antibiotics i try to do all natural stuff. I do plan on ordering more collidial silver. Should i try a drop of that. I use in my dogs dish to help keep their water clean and it helps keep their systems clean of any bacteria.

I'm not really familiar with the colloidal silver so I can't comment on it.

I remember you saying she didn't care for the Henry's block. I guess you probably bought the Henry's High Protein block for babies. I haven't had good luck with them eating the high protein block. Some rehabbers use them and say their babies love them because that's all they know about. Mine... not so much. I buy the Picky Eater block. Mine won't eat the adult block either.

Ok new symptoms... She is now bloated but is peeing and pooping she had some solid and some real mushy. Her face and eyes were sticky.. I soaked her in warm water and rubbed her belly cleaned her face up. She is grinding her teeth (could she be not feeling good from molars coming in)? She did eat 3cc and a i gave her a little pedialyte ... She peed some more.

If she is still pooping it might be due to the malnutrition like the bloated belly you see with starving children in undeveloped countries. If that’s the case the bloated belly would be due to fluid in the tissue.
    I found an article that explains the mechanism. https://borgenproject.org/malnourish...ated-stomachs/

Make 100% certain she is still pooping. Bloat caused by trapped gas is deadly. If you think it might be due to gas you could give her baby gas drops (simethacone) but I’m afraid it might not be that.

I am getting very worried about her. In the article I caught the part about protein being a macromolecule and therefore would be more difficult to absorb from the GI tract.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    She gets fed at 7 3 and 10:30 5ccs every time and shes usually very eager to eat. She was great this morning eating.. Didnt want to eat at 3 but then ate a little at 1030. She stopped wanting suck when i switched her to esbiliac but still took drops at a time no problem.

I mean NO offense/disrespect as we have seen this on the board before.
    We are just trying to figure this out, and help.
    Are you sure that she is given 5 ccs. and not .5 ccs. every feeding?

See the blue arrow below? Are you feeding her 5 of those at every feeding, or are
    you feeding .5 of where the red arrow is?

Here is the feeding chart below. We feed 5-7 % of their body weight.

For a little one that weighs 43 grams, she should be getting 2 to 3 ccs. every feeding.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

HRT4SQRLS (06-17-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast