Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with baby squirrel

Default Need help with baby squirrel

Ok so I have had a baby (red?) Squirrel for almost a month I believe she is 7 weeks old. As she has both upper and lower front teeth and eyes have been open since 5 weeks old. Just trying to figure out if she is an american red squirrel or a eastern gray. She is still very tiny (36g) and eats her formula very well. Not skinny at all and thriving she runs around her cage like a wild woman lol She is eating 4- 4.25cc 3 times a day now she will be 8 weeks on Tuesday if my calculations are correct. Name:  20190607_175241.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  69.2 KB Name:  20190607_174629.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  90.9 KB Name:  20190607_174515.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  66.9 KBName:  20190607_174612.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  78.5 KB
    Name:  20190607_175145.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  92.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Need help with baby squirrel

I would guess eastern grey. My baby girl looked just like that when we found her. The grey squirrels have brown in their fur too. I'm not an expert but I've seen about a billion pictures of both since she found us and that's what we came up with.

Hi Squeaks, welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Just curious, are these current pics. The ears are what caught my attention. They are so tiny.
    36 grams is extremely tiny for a squirrel. Even in FL where our squirrels are much smaller than up north, this would be a miniature squirrel for 7 weeks. I had a pinky grey that was 21g so the 36 is really throwing me. An 7 week old grey (FL) would be almost 200g.

I’m not at all familiar with red squirrels as we don’t have them in FL. According to Google an adult red squirrel would weigh 200-250g. Are you sure about the 36g? If the weight is correct it would almost have to be a red squirrel. Running around the cage ‘like a wild woman’ sounds like a red squirrel.

What are you feeding the baby?

Thank you for the warm welcome!!

Yes I just got a scale today and she is 36 grams... If scale is correct!! Her ears go back and forth with being up right and then laid down. The rehabbers i called around here in Michigan close to me were all full and could not take her in. They did however give me some pointers... Ive had her since she was 2 weeks this is what they told me to feed her

1 cup of boiled whole milk (to kill bacteria)
    4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
    1 teaspoon of coconut oil
    All boiled and cooled stirring frequently

She just started henrys squirrel blocks today and likes them. I have had no issues with her. She poops great solid poop, pee is pretty transparent, not dehydrated due to skin pinch test. She does not need stimulation no more. She has front and bottom teeth, not sure about molars she wont let me look. Very very active. She eats 4-5ccs 3 times a day. She is not skinny, she is plump but not bloated.

She can't regulate body temp yet though. She is in a 2 story cage but only access to bottom when im not around and has no problem climbing up the sides. She comes to the cage door at the sound of my voice. She grunts and makes little squeak noises. Other than her seeming extremely small compared to an eastern grey (which is why I believe she is a red, ive done alot of research on what reds look like) she seems to be healthy and on track. I just cant find a good weight guide to go by for red squirrels.

Also I let her intake as much formula as she wants and she usually stops between 4-5ccs every feeding.. Shes been gradually increasing her intake every week.

Squeaks, please don't log off. This will take me some time.
    We have some work to do. Your baby has been on a terrible formula. That is the reason the baby is SO small.

I'm going to post this and start typing.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (06-08-2019), Squeaks (06-08-2019), stepnstone (06-07-2019)

Thank you please let me know what to do!?

Let's just say I HOPE this is a red squirrel. A grey squirrel in Michigan at nearly 8 weeks would probably weigh literally 10 times what your baby weighs.

Your baby has gained very little weight. Again, I'm not familiar with red squirrels but I bet a Michigan baby red squirrel weighs 20g at birth.
    The formula that they recommended doesn't have adequate nutrients. It is actually a harmful formula. On an appropriate formula your baby would be MUCH larger than 36g.

I would purchase powdered Esbilac puppy formula with probiotics and prebiotics. You could also buy FoxValley 20/50 but it is only available online. I don't think you need to wait. The Esbilac can be purchased at pet retailers locally. IMHO I think it is urgent that you get your baby on a better formula ASAP. The babies growth is stunted from the formula.

You should transition the formula slowly. Don't switch abruptly or it will cause GI issues.
    Mix your formula.... Mix the Esbilac per the instructions. For the first feeding mix 3 parts Milk formula with 1 part Esbilac. Feed a couple feedings like this. Then go to 2 parts Milk formula with 2 parts Esbilac. Feed a couple feedings. Then go to 1 part Milk formula with 3 parts Esbilac. Feed a couple feedings. Then go to full strength Esbilac.

The problem is that your baby is nearing the time when they will start trying to wean. Please try very hard to NOT let her self wean. She needs the proper formula desperately.

Hopefully tomorrow someone that has had red squirrels will post some pics of 8 week old reds so that you can see just how tiny your little one is.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Squeaks (06-08-2019)

Ohhh my gosh, why would they tell me to feed her that? I will get some of that tomorrow and get started right away with transitioning.

The closest things i can come up with for age of red squirrel is a few youtube videos but i dont know whats right. Someones shows a 6-1/2 week old red that has very bushy tail and eating lots of different solids and then this video of a 10 week old ... Very similar small ears as mine and looks a little bigger than mine
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-06-07-23-12-47.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  313.0 KB

She is at 38 grams now... Im about to feed her

Don't buy the liquid puppy Esbilac in the can. It's not the same as the powdered puppy Esbilac.

I've tried to find pics of reds with the age but I'm not having luck. There is a subsection on the board specifically for red squirrels under Breed Specific. I'm sure somewhere in there are some pics with the age.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-my-new-babies!

I found a thread about red squirrels that gives some weights and ages. There are probably better ones but this was what I could find tonight.

The poster indicated that the age was approximately 4 weeks when found. The weights were 1.63 ounces (46g) and 1.56 ounces (44g). A week later (5 weeks) the weights were recorded as 1.82 (51g) and 1.78 (50g).

This gives you a reference for size/age. It also includes a photo.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Diggie's Friend (06-09-2019)

You are awesome!! Thank you so much... Mine is definitely a red looks just like those two.. And i will definitely get the powdered stuff! I cant wait to see her grow better being on this stuff. I feel terrible now!! Sounds like she should be at least double her weight now.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Ohhh my gosh, why would they tell me to feed her that?
    It sounds like they got a recipe from "scalded milk guy," who has killed many squirrels with that
    emaciating recipe and yet he will swear by it and still encourage it's use...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

HRT4SQRLS (06-08-2019), island rehabber (06-18-2019)

Ohhh my gosh, why would they tell me to feed her that? I will get some of that tomorrow and get started right away with transitioning.
    Unfortunately there is a website out there that recommends the “formula” that was recommended to you. We absolutely hate it when people like yourself find his bad information on the internet. He has a following. He is extremely anti-commercial formula. He is even anti-antibiotics.
    He is also extremely anti-TSB as he has been challenged with his practices. Let’s face it, some squirrels can actually survive with this nutrient inadequate “ formula” but most don’t thrive as is the case with Squeaks. There are photos out there of scalded milk emancipated babies that would break your heart.
    According to him the scalding inactivates enzymes in the milk that cause diarrhea in babies. That is a bunch of nonsense. The boiling has nothing to do with bacteria as all our milk supply is pasteurized unless you’re milking your own cow,

I’m thrilled that you found us when you did. You should see Squeaks start gaining weight. She has a lot of catching up to do. I would monitor her weight daily. Record it. You want to see daily gains. I hate to say this but Squeaks might become a non-release due to her size. I know that would break your heart to keep her and love her forever.

I was SO confused when you first came on last night. The 36g was throwing me. I couldn’t even imagine that for a squirrel the age you were stating. Squirrels in Michigan are BIG compared to the squirrels in FL. I have no doubt that a grey squirrel in Michigan is probably born weighing 36g so I think we have established that Squeak is definitely a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    It sounds like they got a recipe from "scalded milk guy," who has killed many squirrels with that
    emaciating recipe and yet he will swear by it and still encourage it's use...
    Step, I looked up his recipe and it is exactly what she was told to feed. Yes, ANOTHER scalded milk baby.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (06-08-2019)

Squeaks, could you post a couple current pics. Show the face from the front and side.

Those ears are still throwing me. They sure are small.

I got powdered formula after visiting 5 different places but finally found one!! I wish I wouldve got on this site sooner. I hope I can realease her, i live on 5 wooded acres but no pines around here so I would realease her somewhere with pines.

I took new pics today, I love her to death but I have two goldens and a cat who cant wait to sink their teeth in a squirrel (my goldens are reds and love to hunt) i could not possibly keep her long term. She needs a bath as she got some milk on base of her tail yesterday and ive been trying to wipe it off but she hates to hold still.

Name:  20190608_092529.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  102.5 KBName:  20190608_092538.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  108.5 KBName:  20190608_092557.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  103.2 KB

Definitely a little red. I am so glad you got here!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Squeaks (06-08-2019)

I got powdered formula after visiting 5 different places but finally found one!!
    I sure hope it was the correct one as pictured below....
    Name:  formula sm.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  32.4 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Squeaks is precious. Tiny and cute as a button.

I just wanted to make sure that she’s not a dwarf red. Yes, there are genetic dwarfs but I think Squeaks is just stunted from nutritional deficiencies.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (06-09-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast