Thread: Baby vole, help!

Default Baby vole, help!

Here I am with my first baby vole because I couldn't leave nature alone, and rescued him from the mouth of a snake (Did not hurt it!) because it was crying and my heart broke.

The mother ran off, I planned to put him back in the den once I walked back to it but I was with my dog and wanted to make sure she came back if I did, which was not possible given that company, and it was difficult to find the hole once I located the area.

I need to know how to feed this thing! And WHAT to feed it - I heard kitten esbilac is good but I do not know where to buy it. So far I have just tried to give him some drops of water because it is intensely hot outside, and have rubbed him down gently with a wet napkin to get rid of some of the snake saliva all over him

Need some advice asap.

Default Re: Baby vole, help!

Do you have any squirrel formula - esbilac or fox valley? Or access to either?

Can you get your hands on a small pointed watercolor type paint brush? You can dip it in the formula to transfer to the mouth - if the little one will latch on to the brush, leave it in it's mouth and drop formula onto the bristles drop by drop with a syringe or even an eye dropper.

Um, every 2 hours, same 5-7% of body weight. Overnight too. They do grow up really fast but I won't kid ya, raising baby mice and voles is not for the faint of heart...

I don't have any formula on hand unfortunately, but my mother says they might have kitten formula at the grocery store? Not esbilac I'm sure but better than nothing I would hope? there's also a dollar store nearby so I'm going to go there for a paint brush.

Thankfully I work from home so feeding him often won't be a problem! Overnight maybe but if that's what it takes I'll do it.

Okay I got kitten formula and a paint brush from the dollar store but it's not the best kind, a little bristly but it's the fine-tip. I can't seem to get him to eat from it though. Any suggestions?

Name:  vole2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  72.2 KBName:  vole3.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  65.3 KB

Small update, he made it through the night! Feeding him is still hard, he'll take it from the syringe by lapping it up though. That being said I got KMR because that was all the store had, and I'm told this is no good for babies?