Thread: Found back leg paralyzed squirrel.

emoryoak Guest

Default Found back leg paralyzed squirrel.

Hello all. I have found an adult squirrel that does not seem to be able to move the lower half of its body in a dry creek bed. The wildlife rehab centers near me (High Ridge, Missouri) have told me they will euthanize it if I bring it in. I'm asking how I can find somebody that will take care of it instead. Thank you for your time.

Currently, the squirrel is in a box on my back patio with a tray of water and some mulberries.

Default Re: Found back leg paralyzed squirrel.

Treating a parleyed squirrel takes a long time and depending on injury, how long they have been like that
    and the extent of damage to the nerves, many never recover. Most never recover fully.
    Chances are "somewhat" better on younger squirrels but never a guarantee they ever walk on the hind legs,
    the majority become non- releasable.
    Often with rear end paralysis the bladder is often effected too and they can not empty it on their own.
    For adults it's really hard for them to be captive, harder for them to be handled. They are usually extreamly
    stressed and live life in fear.
    Unfortunately euthanasia and relieving it's suffering may be the most humane thing you could do for this squirrel.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.