Thread: Need Help Very Soon

Millersac73 Guest

Default Need Help Very Soon

Hi, I'm the mom of 2 usually rather acrobatic healthy two year old eastern grays, their names are John and Paul. We found them as babies just getting hair, their mom didn't come back for almost a whole day. They have been a joy and a great BIG part of our family. They have ALWAYS been VERY active and healthy. We try to keep them on a consistent diet of veggies, pecans, and some fruits. We didn't keep them on the blocks though, we gave them deer sheds to chew on for their teeth and for calcium and they have been doing great. My problem is that John isn't acting quite right. He's not been as active as normal for about 4 or 5 days. And for the last two he won't even get into he's bed, he's not eating much, and just sits with his tail in an s but like his forehead down on the floor of his cage. Our GSD had licked on his antler and my daughter said he hadn't been chewing on it much since then. I'm not sure how long it's been exactly but I gave him some Tums about 36 hours ago ground and diluted in a bit of water and he still hasn't perked up. This morning I noticed that he hadn't pooped in about a day so gave him a little apple juice (diluted as well.) So, he has since pooped and it seems a bit grayish so I see he's expelling excess amount of calcium and he's pooping but he's still just keeping his head down and won't get off the heating pad. He doesn't seem to be getting any worse but he's not getting any better either. Sorry this is so long but I just want everything to be explained so I can get clearer answers. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Oh by the way. They have had the exact same diet and amount. Paul is still just as active as ever. Just thought I would add that.

John & Paul's Mom.Name:  1559671427287639281916.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  83.2 KB
    Last edited by Millersac73; 06-04-2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Tried to add photo of the boys.

Default Re: Need Help Very Soon

Hi, there is a chance that it my be metabolic bone disease. Inside squirrels must must must have rodent block to have the proper balence of minerals/ vitamins.Henry's Healthy Pet sells MBD rodent block and also has a page on their website on emergency management of MBD. I would stop feeding nuts and seeds and get the MBD block.
    Hopefully someone will be able to help you more.

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

HRT4SQRLS (06-06-2019), Nancy in New York (06-05-2019), SammysMom (06-05-2019), Scooterzmom (06-04-2019), stepnstone (06-04-2019)

Millersac73 Guest

Smile Re: Need Help Very Soon

Thank you Binkers Mom. I was thinking the same thing with the symptoms he was having. That's why I gave him the Tums. He just wasn't showing signs of recovery but here in the last 30 minutes or so he has started moving around drinking more water and actually standing on his back legs. I guess I was just being too impatient. You know how it is when one of your babies is feeling bad, you just want them better right then. We have replaced his deer antler that the dog licked on with a fresh one and cleaned out his stash of pecans as well. I absolutely love this forum just accidentally happened upon it yesterday. I am so glad I found it though. Thank You again for your reply.

Default Re: Need Help Very Soon

to TheSquirrelBoard

I think it is very possible that John has the beginning stages of Metabolic Bone Disease. I can tell that you have already studied the diet and realized that it is calcium deficient. I think you’re doing the right thing by giving the Tums. Here is a link to the treatment protocol for MBD. I would follow it and correct the diet. MBD is a painful condition so the symptoms that you’re seeing might be a response to pain. Actually, you should treat Paul also. Just because you’re not seeing symptoms doesn’t mean that he is OK. I would assume that he also needs calcium.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

I also included a link to the healthy diet for pet squirrels. Nuts should only be given as a treat. One or two a day is all they should get. When I hear they have a stash of nuts, it means they are getting way too many. Nuts are a high phosphorus food. Calcium and phosphorus have a balance in the body. When high phosphorus foods are fed the body will pull calcium from the bones to balance out this excess phosphorus. This is what causes MBD.

This is what I would do.

(1) Start the MBD treatment protocol.
    (2) No more nuts.
    (3) Add a rodent block to the diet. (You could try Henry’s Healthy Pet Picky Eater block.)
    (4) Feed healthy veggies. (Example:Kale, Sugar snap peas, etc)
    (5) Fruit should be limited due to high sugar.

The most important thing for keeping your friends healthy is DIET, DIET, DIET.
    Seriously, there is nothing more important. Squirrels can live 15 years in captivity so the diet is critical for long term health. An antler is good, especially for the teeth but I personally don’t think they can get enough calcium from an antler.

MBD in advanced stages causes hind end paralysis, seizures and ultimately death. The good news is that is can be reversed by treating with calcium and correcting the diet. This has to be done ASAP because sometimes the mobility issues can be permanent if it progresses too far. MBD causes brittle bones so I would limit rough housing by the boys. A fall can cause broken bones.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Binkers mom (06-05-2019), lukaslolamaus (06-05-2019), Mel1959 (06-05-2019), Nancy in New York (06-05-2019), stepnstone (06-04-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.