Thread: Is there anything else I can do? Hurt squirrel

Jmacwalker Guest

Unhappy Is there anything else I can do? Hurt squirrel

So I am in the process of moving into my new house with my family and today while me and my sister where moving boxes she saw a squirrel that she thought was dead. Though sad I decide I was going to at least give him a burial our next moving trip of the day. I brought gloves and something to dig a hole with. But we discovered that the squirrel was alive, this made me happy, but it still appeared injured. It was having trouble moving, going in circles, it was a sad sight for me.

I’m only 14 so I couldn’t really do much, so I was going to leave it be. Then it started to rain and I couldn’t bare to leave the poor thing soaking in the rain. So with gloves on and paper towels in hand I picked it up and brought it to my back porch so it could at least be covered but still be able to leave if it wanted.

I’m a animal person and I cant stand to see any animal hurt. I tried to dry it off, and put paper towels down for it to lay on. ( as I said I’m moving so everything is in boxes and I cant really find anything) As I was drying it off I brushed over its head and it started kind of like spasming like it was in pain, where before it was lax and calm in my hand.

It seemed to be at least a teen and I didn’t really get to see if it had injuries because I didn’t know if it was carrying anything so I decide not to do to much to it. It was moving in circles and having problems moving I believe or so it looked like it. I searched it up after I left and I believe it receive some sort of head trauma, but I do not know if it had any other injuries. I did need to head back home soon so I left it on some paper towels on my porch and when I left it was laying curled up and I believe it was still alive.

Like I said I’m only 14 and I couldn’t do much, is there anything I could’ve done to help it more. Is there something I should do if it’s still there tomorrow?

Default Re: Is there anything else I can do? Hurt squirrel

Hi Jmac, thank you for caring. Yes, there are a few things that you could do that are fairly easy. Try to find a wildlife rehabber. Wildlife rehabbers do this type of work every day. The state of FL has a list of wildlife rehabbers. You can find that list online. They are listed by county so you might be able to find a rehabber close to you that will help the squirrel. If a rehabber can’t be found there are a few things you could do.

I’m in FL also so I’m suffering in the 97 degree heat like everyone else. Wildlife also can be compromised by the heat. The first thing would be to give hydration fluid. You would be surprised how anxious they are to take fluid even when they appear almost dead. You can make hydration fluid with sugar, salt and water.
    Use a syringe to give the fluid. Be VERY careful. Even a limp, sick squirrel will bite you REALLY hard.
    I would use gloves or wrap the squirrel in a T-shirt. Here is the recipe.

Homemade Rehydration Fluid

1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar or apple juice
    2 cups warm water
    Store in refrigerator. Discard after 24 hours.

A compromised squirrel (maybe hit by car) will dehydrate rapidly in this heat. That’s the first thing I would try. Another thing would be to find a shelter for the squirrel. An old cat carrier or anything like that would work. It might offer a little protection from predators. It needs hydration and shelter or it likely won’t survive.

Thank you for caring.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (05-31-2019), Nancy in New York (06-01-2019)

Jmacwalker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Hi Jmac, thank you for caring. Yes, there are a few things that you could do that are fairly easy. Try to find a wildlife rehabber. Wildlife rehabbers do this type of work every day. The state of FL has a list of wildlife rehabbers. You can find that list online. They are listed by county so you might be able to find a rehabber close to you that will help the squirrel. If a rehabber can’t be found there are a few things you could do.

I’m in FL also so I’m suffering in the 97 degree heat like everyone else. Wildlife also can be compromised by the heat. The first thing would be to give hydration fluid. You would be surprised how anxious they are to take fluid even when they appear almost dead. You can make hydration fluid with sugar, salt and water.
    Use a syringe to give the fluid. Be VERY careful. Even a limp, sick squirrel will bite you REALLY hard.
    I would use gloves or wrap the squirrel in a T-shirt. Here is the recipe.

Homemade Rehydration Fluid

1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar or apple juice
    2 cups warm water
    Store in refrigerator. Discard after 24 hours.

A compromised squirrel (maybe hit by car) will dehydrate rapidly in this heat. That’s the first thing I would try. Another thing would be to find a shelter for the squirrel. An old cat carrier or anything like that would work. It might offer a little protection from predators. It needs hydration and shelter or it likely won’t survive.

Thank you for caring.
    Thank you for the help. I couldn’t really do much at the time but, I hope if it’s still alive and there tomorrow I’ll work right on that, I can’t get to him right now and I hope it isn’t overheating. I like to think I did the best I could with the little knowledge I had. My mom said that we can bring it to a rehabber tomorrow if it is still there. My porch is screened so I hope that takes abay the risk of predators. Once again thanks for the advice, hopefully it isn’t too late to help it, it means a lot.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jmacwalker:

HRT4SQRLS (06-01-2019), stepnstone (05-31-2019)

We have many Florida members, let us know what city you're
    in and hopefully we can help you out.
    Thank you for helping this little one. You clearly are his/her angel.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

HRT4SQRLS (06-01-2019), Mel1959 (06-01-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.