Thread: Black squirrel injury

Cheebus Guest

Default Black squirrel injury

Black squirrel got tail stuck in flypaper and squished by a fairly large peice of wood (i would say 30lbs but hard to say how much force of impact was, i didnt see it, just heard the screaming). Weak, malnourished and sickly if that has any relevance. Tail seemed to be healing up, fur came back but it always had a tiny purple bruise where the wood squished her. Today the bruise seemed bigger and she wouldnt let me near it. I know they can lose sections of tail and live but im not sure how they hold up to this. At one point she was flicking her tail and jumping with it like it was never jnjured, tonight shes favouring it and her balance is a little off (tail related, not dopey). Its been a few months, its not looking like its going to heal completely even if it goes back to "almost healed", is this ok? Can she live with this?

Default Re: Black squirrel injury

How long ago did this injury occur? The injury to the tail isn’t nearly as concerning as the impact from the wood. Did the wood impact only the tail? Squirrels have been known to do just fine in the wild with little stumps of a tail. Can you post a picture of the squirrel and the injury to the tail?

Was the squirrel an adult when the injury occurred? If it were a young orphan that would account for the “weak malnourished and sickly”. Can you give us more detail and a picture, like Mel suggested? Has this squirrels overall condition improved?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Cheebus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Was the squirrel an adult when the injury occurred? If it were a young orphan that would account for the “weak malnourished and sickly”. Can you give us more detail and a picture, like Mel suggested? Has this squirrels overall condition improved?
    It was a juvenile at best but to be honest for all i know it was just small because it hadnt eaten (im no expert), i dont expect the wood had anything to do with her appearance though, once she got some food and some tlc her fur filled out and she grew to a reasonable size. The tail is the only thing im worried about, nutrition fixed all her other problems.

It was a scrap peice of 4x4 with a flypaper hanging off it, as far as i can tell she was jumping past it and got her tail stuck to it and yanked the wood off its mount onto her tail. She would have been able to pull herself out had she not been stuck to flypaper.

I know they can live without a tail but this isnt no tail its a damaged and clotting (i assume squirrel blood clots) tail. Im worried about her potentially having a heart attack or gangrene or something (i know i dont know squat about squirrel physiology lol thats why im here)

I can take a picture but im not sure how to post it nor if she will let me get a decent pic of it.

Appearance wise (aside the tail) she looks healthy now. Fur looks good, shes acting like a normal squirrel again and shes jumping and climbing fine although that night the tail was clearly throwing off her balance and she wasnt flicking her tail in the air for balance like she should be. Also she clicked a little that night, does clicking always mean distress? I didnt realize what clicking meant at first and i clicked at her thinking we were talking so idk if i messed her up by doing that.
    Last edited by Cheebus; 05-29-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: More info

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.