Thread: wild squirrels with ticks

Default wild squirrels with ticks

I noticed several of my wilds that I feed daily have lots of ticks on their ears. Is there anything to put on their nuts that will kill ticks?

Default Re: wild squirrels with ticks

I think a drop of kitten Revolution will work or a drop of Ivermectin. Ivermectin is more toxic so you have to be extra careful with how much you dose.

Are you sure they’re ticks? Can you post a picture?

Yes. They are getting bigger every couple of days. They start out tiny brown round raised areas and eventually get huge then fall off. But the squirrels keep getting new ones. I used the ivermectin last year one time but then the squirrel that had them kept getting new ones and I couldn't give her anymore due to the toxic effects. Will get a pic tom.

I believe Revolution can be dosed monthly without any ill effects. You can purchase Revolution without a prescription from Joes Pet Meds online. However, I just read the literature enclosed with the box of Revolution I have and it does not list ticks as being something it kills or prevents. Maybe others will know if routine dosing will discourage ticks from attaching themselves to your squirrels.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-26-2019)

My vet said he would use Bravecto but that is topical and the wilds won't let me touch them of course.

Revolution can be used topically or can be dosed on a nut. I don’t know if Bravecto can or not.

After thinking about it I’m not sure if Bravecto can be used on squirrels. I think I’d wait and see if others have ever used it.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-26-2019)

Did you end up trying anything for the ticks on your squirrels? I have a little buddy that I raised and released and now he keeps getting ticks on his ears. He lets me pull them off while he's eating snacks but I'd like to do more for him since its an especially tick-y year around here. Also I actually give my dogs an oral version of Bravecto so there must be various kinds of it