Thread: How bad are Boo balls as main?

Hybrid View

Default How bad are Boo balls as main?

Penny is about 5 months old eastern gray (I started a thread that ended up in the non life threatening forum that has a ton of details about her diet and her slowness to squirrel called A pretty little Penny) and is being a total brat about eating out of nowhere. Starting with the day we saw Dr. E. (IIRC 5/14) - which was the only day we varied our routine at all - she has decided HHBs suck, and even her favorite fresh foods (Brussels sprouts, blueberries, sugar snaps and grapes) suck. Of course this was not the cornerstone of her fresh foods but they were her total favorites and we used grapes as treats because for some reason she can’t eat whole nuts even though there’s no medical reason for it.

As of the past several days she will scrape the nut pieces out of her HHBs then throw the rest of it on the ground with great drama, she will eat the peas out of a sugar snap IF I open it and hand them to her, and she still will pick at her wild offerings and will eat flowers if I have them that day but fresh veg and blocks is a total stand-off. She is holding out for her boo balls which I make with FV2050 and HHBs. I follow the ratio of the original recipe of 50g each and vary the nuts and baby food each batch. If I decrease the nuts slightly since she gets no other nuts to speak of and doesn’t seem to care for sugary foods anyways would this be terribly unhealthy? I am very worried about MBD and if I have to tough love her I will but I’m kinda curious if this isn’t healthy enough since she’s lean and not getting other nuts and sugars? How long will it take to win the hunger strike if I have to go that route? Tried soaking them in yogurt, her fave flavored baby food, grinding and mixing in baby food, and she’s just not having it . At this point I’m throwing countless dollars down the drain and I just don’t know what to do? Any ideas? I do store them in the freezer always and we got a fresh order in about a week ago.

Default Re: How bad are Boo balls as main?

The Boo balls you’re making are perfectly acceptable. With the FV and the HHB as a base you are providing the nutrients she needs. That is actually a common problem. They will sit and pick out the nuts like a gold miner in a barren stream. I have had many start refusing the HHB. Let me guess, you are using either the high protein or the adult blocks. I have only had success with the Picky eater block.

Boo balls were created in an attempt to get squirrels to eat rodent block. By adding tasty things like sweets or nuts they are much more likely to accept a nasty rodent block. There are MANY different recipes. Basically, it is a trial and error process to find the magic recipe that your squirrel will eat while still maintaining a healthy base for the diet.

Thanks for letting me know. I figured they were pretty balanced with the formula & Henry's since they're both fortified it had to be at least close to safe as long as it's not too many nuts. I am currently using adult, she hated the last bath of High Protein. We tried the picky eaters too and she didn't care for them at all. Maybe we'll try them again. I may try cooking some greens and putting them in the next batch I make. They smell so yummy with FV I kinda want to try one

I’m not sure when Henry’s will list their hazelnut blocks for sale, but I got to sample a package at The Gathering and they were a BIG hit. You might ask them about them the next time you need to place an order.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (05-24-2019)

Oh thanks for letting me know to be on the lookout for a new flavor, I will keep that in mind. What is The Gathering? I don’t get out much lol If it’s a giant meeting of squirrels then that’s awesome! Sorry if this is a double post I got logged out when replying

Quote Originally Posted by QueenP View Post
    Oh thanks for letting me know to be on the lookout for a new flavor, I will keep that in mind. What is The Gathering? I don’t get out much lol If it’s a giant meeting of squirrels then that’s awesome! Sorry if this is a double post I got logged out when replying
    The Gathering of nuts is a once a year event where the members from TSB come together for a weekend of fun, food, and sharing ideas. We usually have a couple of speakers on a squirrel related topics and then group discussions as well. It is a lot of fun and maybe you can join us next year.

As far as the boo balls go, I actually have a very picky eater myself who refuses to eat anything but boo balls and like HRT said, they should be perfectly fine for your little one as long as they are made with good quality ingredients like you are using.

I also wanted to mention to you that they go through seasonal changes in their eating habits. Neither of my fur babies are eating well right now. They go through this phase every year at the onset of warm weather. It can be worrisome, but I have finally come to realize that it seems to be related to the seasons. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that the wilds I feed are also eating less so it makes sense. Even with the squirrels that live indoors, I think that their bodies are still triggered with seasonal changes by the length of daylight.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Jeltje (06-01-2019), QueenP (06-07-2019), TubeDriver (06-07-2019)

I had a wild adult who was hit by a car but which we managed to rescue, he was on the mend here for a few weeks. Of course, his majesty didn't care for the regular menu of my NRs. But, I finally found something that worked and made both the blocks and veggies appealing to him: a jar of coconut and avocado oil!

I took half a teaspoon of it and put that in with his veggies and blocks and stirred it all... and all of a suddent he liked everything.

Hope it could work for you...
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

tgramsey (06-14-2020)

Thanks, I've never even heard of coconut and avocado in the same oil. I'll look for that. So you just pour coat the veggies and blocks with the oil, basically?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    I had a wild adult who was hit by a car but which we managed to rescue, he was on the mend here for a few weeks. Of course, his majesty didn't care for the regular menu of my NRs. But, I finally found something that worked and made both the blocks and veggies appealing to him: a jar of coconut and avocado oil!

I took half a teaspoon of it and put that in with his veggies and blocks and stirred it all... and all of a suddent he liked everything.

Hope it could work for you...