Thread: Bump on back of adult female fox squirrel.

Default Bump on back of adult female fox squirrel.

One of my regular visitors of fox squirrels (I call her Momma Squirrel) who I've known for four years now, has an injury on her back. A week or two ago I noticed a small section of fur missing on her back, but couldn't make out if the injury was deeper. I figure maybe from an altercation with rival squirrel or predator. But now, some of that fur has regrown, and now has a noticeable bump on her back. It is not just some fur out of place or sticking out. It is a 'hard' lump. Maybe about an inch in diameter and 3/8" high. I'm very concerned, but realize there is probably nothing I can do like bring her to a vet because she is 'wild'. My guess this tumor like bump maybe a possible infection from that injury. I will try to upload this photo image, and maybe some of you professional rehabbers can tell me what this is. Any advice or what possible things in the future will certainly be appreciated.

Name:  Female Fox Squirrel-bump on back.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  168.0 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Randy14 from:

Diggie's Friend (05-23-2019)

Default Re: Bump on back of adult female fox squirrel.

Hi, and welcome to The Squirrel Board!

A lump can be from an injury.

Does it look anything like this? (click on pdf file to open and view photos) This lump/bump is an abscess.

Sorry to ask; for though others here can view your photos, I can't.

It could be a really hard abscess, which if that were the case it will eventually burst on its own.

We had one squirrel with an abscess; a real teddy bear, he went right into the trap and didn't give me any guff.

Took it to the rehabber who worked on the squirrel and eventually returned the squirrel to my yard healed up.

There was a juvenile here that had a broken leg; the wildlife vet pinned it, and the squirrel was released after it healed up.

There are wildlife vets in this region; your location would determine which one you would go to for help.

It could be a cyst, yet likely they wouldn't do anything about it.

Good if it is just an abscess, not so good if it is something that would prevent its release.

If you have any questions you can send me a private message.

Diggie's Friend
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Bump on back of adult female fox squirrel.

Diggie's Friend - Yes, it looks very similar to that, just different location further down her back.

Thank you very much
    Randy - (creator of "It's A Squirrel's Life" board game - randy@moxy-roxy.com)

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Randy14 from:

Diggie's Friend (05-24-2019)