Thread: Squirt may need Meds- Odontoma Survivor

Default Squirt may need Meds- Odontoma Survivor

Hi All. So it has been a very long time since i've posted. Squirt is my almost 7yr old squirrel. He has survived odontoma on all 4 incisors thanks to the help of some very very special people. He wouldn't be here today without their support and knowledge. It has now been about 2 years since both his surgeries and all has been well. Within the last few weeks he has had green mucous coming out one of his nostrils. He has always has some white boogies since his surgery and has been fine. His diet is great and his eating habits are good. He's not losing weight and no significant changes are happening except for the mucous. Its not alot but it's not normal. Any help on how to possibly treat this or any advice is much appreciated.

Shawna

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Squirt may need Meds- Odontoma Survivor

Hey NSM and Squirt!

Thrilled to see you back but sorry to hear about the green boogers. There are several adult squirrels with some sot of URI going on right now. Some have discharge and some do not. Those that have discharge have been sent out for culture and we are waiting to hear back atm.

My first thought would be Clavamox and Baytril, and you may want to try this. However, it seems to not be working. But there is no proof that all these squirrels have the same thing as they are states apart from one another.

Some of the squirrels seem to be responding to doxy and others to azithromycin, but the jury is still out on whether either of these meds will fully kick whatever it is.

If the mentioned meds turn out to not be working we are discussing possibly Nuflor or Chloramphenical, but to the best of my knowledge no one has gone to these yet.

Might it be an option for you to contact Squirts surgeon and see if a culture can be run? (I think this might be able to be done via mail) This way you can be sure he gets put on the correct meds.

Has Squirt been wheezy? Honking? Short of breath or fast respiration lately, that you've noticed?

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Hi MM,

He doesn't really sneeze, only when he's trying to get the boogie out because you can see its tickling his nose. Not sure about the surgeon because he's in MD. I'm not sure but can I mail his boogies?. I have clavamox powder and a baytril pill. He is 850g. Can u dose those for me? I think I will try that 1st then go from there.

Thanks Again

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Didn't get a chance to circle back last night. Clavamox has been dosed and vet is now involved.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Grinderhead (06-07-2019), stepnstone (06-07-2019)