Thread: 14 Week old wild not walking right

Default 14 Week old wild not walking right

I have a 14 week old wild baby that I have been feeding everyday now for about 2 weeks. She comes over with the rest of the wilds. Today I noticed she isn't sitting straight up and guarding her back right leg. She can climb trees though. The others are picking on her. She will let me get about 3 feet away from her to toss her a nut. She is able to eat the nuts in the shell still. She is trying to avoid the other squirrels and when I first came outside I noticed one was chasing her. Is there anything that I can do for her?

Default Re: 14 Week old wild not walking right

What I try to do with injured squirrels that come to my yard for their chow is to try to provide them with something so huge and delicious that when they get their little hands in it the take it and run home where they consume ALL of it, crawl into their beds, and stay there until the food coma subsides. This keeps them off the injury a LOT more than they would be foraging, and keeps them someplace that predators won't take advantage of their handicap.

Personally, I toss a couple HHBs and a handful of walnuts into my grinder, grind it up, and mix in enough peanut or almond butter to turn it into a sticky paste. Then I add a teeny, tiny bit of nutella. The smell alone drives them wild. To this mixture I add Henry's vitamins and any other supplements I want them to have. I take a hunk of that "dough," sandwich it between two walnut halves, and voila, a wad of pure deliciousness. They will very quickly learn that you are offering something special to THEM and will start looking for you!

BTW, the other squirrels will too. When I see one of my little "problem children" I go out with their goody and a handful of other nuts - which I use to "pull" the other wild squirrels away from the one that needs the help, and occupy them long enough for it to get away with its giant goody. They exploit this of course. I wouldn't be surprised to see them begin to fake limps...

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-20-2019), redwuff (05-20-2019)

This sounds good to me. I will try this. I hope she is ok. She hasn't come by yet.

She came by today and was walking and sitting normal.