Thread: Two Young/baby Red Squirrels Lost Their Mom, Suggestions for Feeding

Hybrid View

Aurora Squirrel Guest

Default Two Young/baby Red Squirrels Lost Their Mom, Suggestions for Feeding

Hi,
    A few days ago, after returning from a long trip, we were delighted to see two adorable baby squirrels popping their heads out of the boreal owl box we put up in a tree two years ago, (and which to date has not impressed any boreal owls.) Our initial fear was that the owl box might become an impromptu bed and breakfast for owls … now my concern is that the young squirrels may have lost their mother in an accident. I haven't seen them running around, my husband said he did a couple of days ago, and just told me that what he thinks was their mother died in the aforementioned accident. We looked up Alaska's DFG (Department of Fish and Game) site on red squirrels. It says they mate in February or March, gestation is 36-40 days, and they wean at about five weeks. We don't know whether they are weaned or not, I'd estimate that they are about half the size of an adult -- pretty small squirrels up here in the first place. They were zipping up and down the trees getting to their box. Should we put out some type of squirrel food at the base of the tree to help their nutrition? We are really hoping they are weaned, but the time seems tight. Even if they are weaned, they usually hang with their mom until autumn anyway, but they won't be able to learn life-skills from her, so any suggestions/insights are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Two Young/baby Red Squirrels Lost Their Mom, Suggestions for Feeding

Hello, and thanks for seeking help for these little ones.

If they are navigating the trees and haven’t come down the tree seeking help, I’m not sure how you’d get them to provide formula even if they did still need it. If they do come down to you seeking help, then I’d say to capture them and bring them inside.

To supplement their food source you could provide some fresh avocado (no skin or pit), fresh coconut, fresh corn. Ideally, if you wanted to purchase a healthy squirrel block for them I’d suggest you purchase some picky eater blocks from Henry’s Healthy Pets online. These will provide great supportive nutrition for them while they continue to grow.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (05-18-2019), Nancy in New York (05-18-2019), stepnstone (05-18-2019)

Default Re: Two Young/baby Red Squirrels Lost Their Mom, Suggestions for Feeding

Red squirrels mature sooner than the gray squirrel species. It is noted that they wean at about ten weeks of age.

They first emerge from their natal nests at around 42 days, but continue to nurse until approximately 70 days.
    https://www.nowfoods.com/supplements...te-pure-powder

If they will take food from you, sprinkle 1/8 Tsp. twice daily AM & PM, on a pile of chopped hazelnut pieces, or on a small piece of skinned avocado.

Elemental calcium equivalents by volume from this source:

(1 1/2 Tsp. = 600 mg); (1/2 Tsp. = 200 mg.) ; (3/8 Tsp. = 150 mg.) ; (1/4 Tsp. = 100 mg.) ; (1/8 Tsp. = 50 mg.)

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Aurora Squirrel Guest

Smile Re: Two Young/baby Red Squirrels Lost Their Mom, Suggestions for Feeding

Thank you for your insights. I put out some fresh corn, and ordered the picky eater blocks. I sat outside all morning and can hear squirrels, but haven't seen the babies at all; we had a huge rainstorm yesterday and I sure hope they are ok. I'll post if/when we see them again, and keep our fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Hello, and thanks for seeking help for these little ones.

If they are navigating the trees and haven’t come down the tree seeking help, I’m not sure how you’d get them to provide formula even if they did still need it. If they do come down to you seeking help, then I’d say to capture them and bring them inside.

To supplement their food source you could provide some fresh avocado (no skin or pit), fresh coconut, fresh corn. Ideally, if you wanted to purchase a healthy squirrel block for them I’d suggest you purchase some picky eater blocks from Henry’s Healthy Pets online. These will provide great supportive nutrition for them while they continue to grow.

Any sighting of your baby reds?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.