Thread: Butt issues

Squirrelparents Guest

Default Butt issues

Hey everyone. We found a baby by it’s dead mother about 1.5 weeks ago. We started him with Pedialyte and formula. We have been stimulating his peeing and pooping and he was doing great, even doing so on his own. I would estimate his age to about 5 weeks or so. Eyes open, and fairly mobile on his own.

Now it seems as though he became constipated and now other issues have formed. The best way to describe it is like a poop scab over his anus. I have been soaking him and massaging off the poop, which leaves him with a rather large looking butt hole, that seems/looks sore.

I can’t upload photos from my phone so I will try to post them ASAP but if anyone has any quick diagnoses/solutions that would be wonderful as I am becoming increasingly worried for him.

Again, photos wishing an hour or so, as long as I can figure out how to upload them.

Default Re: Butt issues

Make certain you have gotten ALL of the poop off and out of there. The anus will shrink back down once he is pooping properly. You can rub a little tiny bit of vaseline on the sore skin.

Make sure he has plenty of hydration and see if he will let you stimulate him to poop. Their eyes open at 5 weeks which should help you "age" him.

I am betting he had some soft poops which pasted him shut. He is too small to be in charge of his own persona hygiene at this point - his mama would be cleaning him up constantly, and you need to step into that role. Check to make sure he is staying clean - of poop AND pee, which can scald their skin. You don't need anything more than warm water on a little cloth.

Tip: If you want to most closely simulate mama's grooming behavior, don't go WITH the hair direction, go against it, with little short strokes. Totally counter-intuitive since we want to pet with the hair, but mother animals do not do that!

Squirrelparents Guest

Name:  B2D1C649-4389-42D9-86D7-083EA9531B39.jpg
Views: 3021
Size:  89.8 KBName:  102A2F50-A061-4296-B23E-2D2043248B89.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  125.9 KBName:  2BFCE584-4640-4D52-A975-463B820B6901.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  88.1 KB

Aw. Poor little hiney. Keep it real, real clean.

He look about 6 weeks though it isn't his best side!

What formula are you feeding him, how much, and how often. Do you have a weight on him? Do you need any of the more basic help from us?

Do watch his little rear, because like I said, this is much more likely the result of diarrhea than of constipation, and if he is still having problems we need to know so they can be addressed.

I have had a few over the last few years who had this issue. I know others who have seen it this year. Preparation H ointment is very helpful in getting it to return to normal.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Mel1959 (05-14-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.